1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pantsill/Gera

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by RobespierreFFC, Apr 7, 2011.

1. RobespierreFFC

First post since moving over from 606 so welcome to old and new fulham 606ers! Thought I'd continue the discussion on the threads below by posting a link to a page on the bbc website, where sparky seems to have admitted that gera and pantsill are off in the summer. While I will miss pantsill's laps of honour, I can't say I'm devastated as I think this season has shown he's perhaps a tad out of his depth. However new full backs (on both sides) must be a priority this summer.
    With Gera on the other hand it will be a crying shame if he leaves as I still think he gots plenty to offer us. I think hes just as good as duff and dempsey and if any injury or loss of form arises then he would merit a lengthy spell in the starting line up.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/f/fulham/9450650.stm

2. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

Firstly, welcome to not606

Secondly, why do you think new full backs are a priority in the summer? Kelly is a decent back up for Baird and Briggs is more than capable to step in for Salcido. If we go out and sign a new left back (Konchesky) then Briggs will never get his chance. I'd day another striker and attacking midfielder (Murphy role) are much more important.

I also rate Gera, but he is in no way better than either of our wingers. Both Duff and Dempsey have been fantastic this season. When Gera has been given a chance this season, what has he managed to do?

3. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Pretty gutted, but only for sentimental reasons really. Panstil hasn't looked as good for us, and Gera was just never given a chance, although he has looked good for Hungary and when he's come on for us. Sparky will need to strengthen in the summer though, that's for sure.

4. RobespierreFFC

Good points raised there, admittedly when I suggested new full backs I had forgotten about Briggs, so in a sense that would fill the left back spot, although I don't know how ready he is yet as he somewhat got found against arsenal before his injury. Salcido still remains a liability in my opinion, dodgy at the back and indecisive going forward. Baird is a very solid player but I still think that a more attack minded right back would give us an extra dimension. Baird could then cover left back until briggs is ready to make the position his own.

As for gera, when he has played he hasn't been great this season, but I think a run in the side could resurrect that. Last season he was arguably as good as dempsey and duff have been this year, although they're current form make its difficult to see how we can fit gera in. He can also play just off the strikers and as we know it worked very well with bobby last season. This could still be a potential option for us perhaps.

5. WhatDoesWoyWant?

I think JP has not really done anything much for us this season and agree with RobespierreFFC that Salcido seems to have been a bit over-rated for some reason. Is Briggs ready to stand in for the first team..i'm not sure, maybe he needs more time to develop but at the same time he will only develop by being thrown in at the deep end right?
    Would be a shame to see Gera go as he has not really had a huge chance to impress this season.

I wonder will Mark Schwarzer go this summer or will he play his career out with us. Would love to see Stockdale play some more games as he performed well in the last call-up..