1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Panorama tonight - FIFA must get outed as soon as possible

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by frogman27, May 23, 2011.

1. frogman27

frogman27 Member

I have just caught the last 15 mins of Panorama tonight and am absolutely seething at what I have just seen. The degrees of corruption that were illustrated are staggering. Millions of pounds seem to move around from one bribe to the next. It appears that they are completely untouchable.

Andrew Jennings approached FIFA representatives from the top of the chain to the bottom and they all act like it is some sort of game / joke. They all talk about " transparency " but refuse to share their opinions.

Jack Warner is a disgrace to the world of football and should be banged up for a long time.

It seems however, that there may be some light at the end of the tunnel. Forgive my lack of facts but this all I saw. There was a claim made against FIFA, an investigation followed and was then finalised with a financial settlement being the outcome. It would seem that the evidence found in this investigation is held by FIFA in a document that they refuse to allow anyone to see.

The Swiss government has decided enough is enough and are now demanding that FIFA sort it out and are demanding to see transparency, that includes the afore mentioned evidence. FIFA apparently have until the end of this year to produce this evidence or face being kicked out of Switzerland.

It also seems possible that the IOC, International Olympic Committee, are wanting to investigate several of their members, one of which is Sepp Blatter and may demand to see the documents showing evidence from the investigation.

I have been aware of some of the issues from a distance but could not believe the way these members so blatantly take the biscuit and seem to revel in it. The sooner the world forces these criminals to show the degree of their greed and dishonesty the better. There must be someone who is higher up the chain that can force them to be accountable.
    :headbang:

2. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

A pity I missed the programme - Reading your post Froggy, the stench must have been quite strong. I recollect an appropriate phrase: "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely". It would be interesting to know if FIFA have an office in the UK, so that they come under the new Anti-Bribery legislation.

3. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

FIFA is a very, very dirty organization. One needs to look no further than the next two WC locations to see it. Russia and Qatar? I've been to Qatar .... it's an ugly pile of sand and rock that sticks out into the Persian Gulf. If it weren't for the oil billions, Qatar would only be inhabited by a few skinny goats.

The whole FIFA system is geared toward facilitating corruption - if you're interested in an insider's view of how it all works, there's a story by American journalist Grant Wahl, who actually ran for president of FIFA. He might have gotten some votes if someone, anyone, from the FIFA deligation would have nominated him for the position ... but nobody felt safe enough to do so. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/grant_wahl/04/01/fifa.candidacy/index.html

4. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Though I don't disagree with a word you've said Froggy, bear in mind Panorama is a very British program - the FA aren't exactly bezzie mates with FIFA at the moment. That said, going by Occam's Razor, FIFA are almost undoubtably rotten to the core, and something should be done about it. Let's hope the FA and Triesman get somewhere with their claims.

5. rocky57

rocky57 Member

How could you disagree with the frequently demonstrated facts that come out about FIFA?

However, the reason why the English are regarded with suspicion by the rest of the football world lies in history. We disdained entry into the World Cup until its fourth tournament, because we had no doubt our football was the best, despite the advances demonstrated in Europe and South America, and then embarrassed ourselves by going out to the USA, a team of semi-professionals. In the 50's our authorities wanted English teams to ignore the new European Cup competition: Matt Busby had the strength and foresight to press ahead and enter.

Hopefully things have moved on here now, although other countries are more sensitive than we realise when our press, and a noticeable minority of our fans still have the little Englander attitude of "it's our game and we're superior to everyone else". This is why, however justified the criticisms are, our protests can fall on deaf ears at FIFA, who fall back to that position of it's just the English again, an easy but false defence.

I think this situation is entrenched because it has to be acknowledged that FIFA gives so many small countries a say and a vote in the running of football. Now even if this is totally illusory, and the whole thing is in the hands of a handful of corrupt men, I can't see this situation being easily unravelled.

Some have suggested that the big countries, i.e. those like Brazil, Italy, Germany, Argentina etc., should break away, but the problem is similar to the situation in club football; for example it may well be true that only 4 or 5 teams can possibly win the Premiership, a competition containing just those would be far less appealing and get boring quickly.

6. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Well, looks as if the proverbial is hitting the fan. Do we think Qatar will lose the WC?

7. Cottagecravens

you can watch it whole on BBC IPLAYER

8. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Trouble is the proverbial never seems to splatter Blatter.

9. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

Shocking news today - oil fifedom Qatar may have used its oil billions to bribe its way into hosting the WC final. Up until know, I thought that the 50 mile-long sand spit that cannot naturally support any form of mammalian life was a worthy recipient of the WC over that little, insignificant country called the USA, but apparently FIFA representatives in places like Africa and Asia can be bribed. Who would have guessed?

10. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

Heard Blatter's press conference called "delusional" by the BBC journalist. Just the man to lead world football for another 4 years.

11. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

Listening to Sepp Blatter tonight was frustrating, appalling and a perfect demonstration of a what is wrong with FIFA. Let alone brushing aside any criticism, he actually said he was talking to the fans (Chutzpah!!!). We don't want him to talk to us, but to listen to us. However, that's not going to happen with this guys in charge.

I thought the FA was probably right to abstain, but now realise they should have put up a candidate to deal with the mess.

It was also interesting that the comment about Qatar buying the WC seems to have been watered down in the past 24 hours, presumably under legal pressure.

12. rocky57

rocky57 Member

I think Qatar thought they were bidding for the beach volleyball.