1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Palace sniffing around Mbemba

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Jan 27, 2017.

1. speedy

speedy Member

2. Geordie lass in the Fen

Geordie lass in the Fen Well-Known Member

Much as l would like to see Townsend come back l would be very disappointed to lose Mbemba.
    Hasn't been played and l don't know why that would be, but l still rate him as one for our future.
    Same applies for Darlow, would be madness to lose him too.

Warmir Pouchov likes this.
  3. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

The end of last season we had a back four of:

Dummett-Lascelles-Mbemba-Anita

and they were pretty damn good. The best back line we'd had in a good few years, far more than the sum of their parts and I thought at the time that if we could keep hold of them we had a chance of promotion and then survival (mostly they're young and likely to improve). What the hell happened...

4. Henry Boy

Henry Boy Active Member

Feel like Mbemba got harshly dropped for that horror show against Wolves. As long as it's just a loan and we can choose to bring him back in the summer then I'm all for it.

magpie290761 likes this.
  5. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This thread title bothers me every time I see it.

6. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I think Mbemba is another Rafa isn't that keen on. Perhaps it is due to the ACON situation. Some managers don't like to have african players because you lose them midway through the season.

7. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Would hate to lose Mbemba, think he is the best CB we have in terms of pace and power, technically very good to.

Personally I'd drop Clark or Lacselles for him but not Rafa's cup of tea by the looks of things.

Defo not worth a swap deal for Andros unless it is just until the end of the season with no optinonal clauses!

8. Warmir Pouchov

If we flog Mbemba and Mitrovic I think we have made a huge **** up personally. I think both have significant potential.

9. Lord Jonjomort

Lord Jonjomort Well-Known Member

I think with Mitrovic it doesn't matter - he's just not going to make it here, but I think will end up being a big player scoring CL goals wherever he goes. Think he'd suit German football quite well, somewhere like RB Leipzig.

At times I don't really understand Benitez. Look at the defence - we have essentially four wingbacks of varying capability in Yedlin, Lazaar, Anita and Haidara. We have four or five decent (for the Championship) options at CB. Yet for some inexplicable reason our first choice LB is a CB, we constantly turn up with 2 x DM's which only works when Shelvey's fit (and even then I'd prefer him as attacking midfield, I think he could be a fantastic No 10) and always concede anyway.

Why we aren't plying 3 at the back every game is beyond me; it suits the personnel we have very well. 3-6-1, 3-5-2, 3-4-3, however you spin it I want Mbemba on the field as the right sided CB alongside Lascelles in the middle for cover and Clark on the left. Lazaar and Yedlin should be wing backs, we have good cover in Dummett/Hanley/Anita so the formation wouldn't need tinkering and you can play to whatever strengths you need to - two up top for teams we should be beating, 1 for the trickier fixtures to try and contain and keep possession in midfield.

I'd be busting a gut to buy a decent central midfielder to allow Shelvey to go further forward and for that reason the mooted move for James McCarthy does make sense. We also need an attacker for cover who can play either wing or through the middle, but it's not vitally important because we have Ritchie, Atsu, Gouffran and at a push Perez and El Mhanni who can do a sufficient job at this level. Townsend would be ideal because Atsu is still a bit raw.

Apologies for yet another post turning into formation pron, but that's where I think it's going so wrong for us a lot of the time. The personnel suggest one way of playing, but Rafa sticks to 4-2-3-1. That'd make more sense if we'd lost 1, drawn 7, but sadly tis the other way around.

10. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

Benitez is absolute ****ing crackers if he lets Mbemba go. Mbemba has the potential to be top class. Far, far, far better than Lascelles, Clark or Hanley. He was harshly dropped for a poor performance against Wolves, yet Lascelles continues to keep his place despite being dogshit for at least 2 months. Massive mistake letting him go.

11. magpie290761

magpie290761 Well-Known Member

To me I think Mbemba isn't strong enough in the air and would be better alongside a big cb, as one of 3 or in a holding midfield position but won't work alongside Clark against anyone with an airel threat. Still has great qualities though and would prefer we keep him. Not be too disappointed if the loan was just temporary till end of the season though as the experience would do him good and we would get a much better pl ready player back and get Townsend now who Palace won't want back so we can buy him in summer

Sheikh_of_Araby likes this.
  12. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

It didn't seem to bother him with Diame or Atsu.

magpie290761 likes this.
  13. Warmir Pouchov

True I was thinking more the consistency of picking a regular defence which he seems to like - the only area of the pitch he doesn't seem to rotate

14. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

No no no no no no no

15. Toon_Man_Sam1

Toon_Man_Sam1 Well-Known Member

Lee Ryder confirmed that Mbemba will not be going to Palace, they are looking at other options, The Townsend deal (if it was to happen) would be completely separate to any other deals.

Therefore Hanley may be off to wolves?

Sheikh_of_Araby likes this.
  16. Prince Isak (GG)

Prince Isak (GG) Well-Known Member

I still do not know why we signed Hanely when we never play him. We will not get as much money back as what we paid either.

17. Howe's about that then?

Howe's about that then? Well-Known Member

Cover. We'd all be moaning if we had makeshift CB due to ACON, injury or suspension

magpie290761 and Warmir Pouchov like this.
  18. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

Nev I have 7 questions for you:

1. Do you think we should loan Mbemba out?
    2. Is Mbemba really a Womble?
    3. Will you ever update the prediction league?
    4. Have you ever seen a mackem in Milan?
    5. Have you ever seen Albert's arse in Fenwick's window?
    6. Is Pouchy's cock actually as big as he pretends - oops, I mean 'he claims' - on internet forums?
    7. Does Trev have what it takes to reform, give up his corrupt ways and become an honest member of the public?

OK thanks Nev <ok>

19. Warmir Pouchov

I hope you are not suggesting I've booshed his missus and he's now waving his wand in a wizards sleeve. I'm not that kinda guy.

Obi Wan likes this.
  20. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

No no no no no no no