1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Overtaking!

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Nick HCAFC, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Nick HCAFC

Nick HCAFC Active Member

We all want more overtaking in F1. What's the best way to ensure that this happens?

2. JOSH1297

JOSH1297 New Member

Reverse qualifying? Get rid of the likes of Abu Dhabi and such circuits...? Assassinate Herman Tilke?

3. Forza Bianchi

Forza Bianchi Well-Known Member

I say bring back refuelling. It would mean that the fastest car may not get pole, while the drivers will all be on different strategies, different fuel loads - and more overtaking as a result.

4. Nick HCAFC

Nick HCAFC Active Member

I'd go against reverse qualifying on the principle that tracks like Bahrain and the other Tilke- designed circuits are over-taking nightmares, just imagine if Trulli was on pole after the grid was reversed, you'd get the longest Trulli Train in history!

5. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Why has Tilke got monopoly on track designing? None of them would exactly be classed as classics, and the teams aren't big fans, and they don't seem brilliant for overtaking. Why can't we have different designers, with different ideas? Looking at the design for the Austin Circuit, it seems wrong that it includes a carbon copy of the maggots complex at Silverstone, why? If he's that short of ideas, he shouldn't be doing it. Likewise with the new Indian grand prix including a corner to mimic turn 8 at Istanbul.

I'd love to see a new track which is longer, with more flowly, high speed corners and more overtaking opportunities. For example, why can't we have a track with a section of high speed, near full throttle corners (which would really test driver ability and car setup) and follow it with a long straight then hairpin? That would give a better driver a higher entry speed to the long straight, so he'd have a good run into the hairpin, giving more overtaking opportunities.

I think reducing the aero on the back of the cars was a good idea, and replacing it with slick tyres seems to work, could this be taken further?