1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Out Of Recession? Not Tonight Darling

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Moisuer Vonnegut, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Moisuer Vonnegut

HOORAY! Chancellor Alistair Darling has announced the country has finally come out of recession - time to pop open the champagne then?
    That means the two million-plus on the dole queue can expect to walk back into a job any moment now.

The hundreds of thousands laid off in the past couple of years will be waiting by the phone for a call from their old bosses telling them to return to their posts.

And those who have seen their house prices plummet, don't worry - the property boom is on the horizon.

But hold your horses a minute. How come I'm still struggling to find any employment? How come several of my mates who got the boot from their jobs haven't had a sniff of work?And most of them have far more qualifications than me - although, granted, that wouldn't be hard. The fact is life is tougher than ever before, even if Darling claims the good times are about to roll.

To fill up my motor now it's £1.10 a litre - around £1.12 if you drive a diesel. And everyone's heating bills will be through the roof after the worst winter in 20 years.As for house prices, yes it's a good time to buy, but not if you're unemployed. And all those bold predictions that property values will return to normal this year have proved to be nothing more than hot air.

Industry experts reckon it'll be YEARS before our homes are worth what they were.

Old folk living off their savings are getting by on a pittance with the collapse of interest rates.

Yet some posh bankers are moaning about their unjustified bonuses being capped and taxed.

These are grim times for ordinary folk like myself.

And as far as I'm concerned we are NOT out of recession at all.

In fact it feels like a huge depression to me.

Only when petrol returns to a price where I can fill up my Ford Focus, there are jobs for all, and a decent interest rate that doesn't render our savings virtually worthless, then I'll start to celebrate.

Until then Darling, the bubbly stays firmly on ice.

2. Maltese Mick

Maltese Mick Guest

This was the worst recession in history in terms of the amount the economy retracted and the amount of hard cash that was lost - yet we have had much fewer job loses than the likes of the 1980's "gis a job" situation. I lost my job in September but luckily enough got back on my feet quickly unlike a lot of people. I know it is difficult at the minute but I genuinely believe that at least now we are guaranteed a few years of gradual growth rather than the ****ey uncertainty which I felt myself for 2 years before hand.

Nobody who is unemployed at the minute is going to be happy with the government but I think they deserve a little but of credit for dabbling quite a bit in the economy to stimulate it and make sure that even more people didn't end up losing their jobs too.