1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our ratings v Burnley

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Deleted #, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Deleted #

Deleted # Well-Known Member

GK Vito Mannone, 7 -- Made one superb early save after Vokes had skipped effortlessly past Papy Djilobodji and a goal seemed certain, and was assured throughout.

DF Javier Manquillo, 5 -- Never entirely comfortable and showed woeful judgement with a miscued cross when when set up brilliantly by Fabio Borini.

DF Jason Denayer, 6 -- A steady game in central defence, digging Djilobodji out of trouble more than once.

DF Papy Djilobodji, 5 -- The former Chelsea defender had a nightmare in the 4-1 league defeat at Burnley on Dec. 31 and was again under par despite having bounced back strongly against Liverpool last Monday.

DF Patrick van Aanholt, 6 -- An unremarkable game by his standards, with insufficient contribution to attacks on the left.

DF Donald Love, 7 -- Impressed again with hard work and unspectacular but tidy play.

MF Sebastian Larsson, 6 -- No shortage of his customary industry but little end product.

MF Jack Rodwell, 8 -- Involved in most of the rare excitement in front of Burnley's goal and particularly unfortunate with two first-half efforts. A reassuringly committed display.

MF Fabio Borini, 6 -- A handful for Burnley with intelligent, incisive play early in the game but faded.

MF Adnan Janujaz, 5 -- Anonymous for much of the game and provided little real spark to suggest a Sunderland breakthrough.

FW Jermain Defoe, 6 -- Never stopped trying and did seem to be bundled over in the Burnley penalty area, only to be penalised, but never truly looked like scoring.

Substitutes:
    DF John O'Shea, N/R - Sent on after 84 minutes, with Moyes openly concerned this was a game to be saved, not won.

Sunderland manager David Moyes: "A slog for everybody. It was a really poor game. Two teams probably not trying to go completely full out. It's disappointing we didn't get through but at least we are still in the hat.

"I think with 10, 15 minutes to go, they were the better team and it looked as if they were going to score, so I think if you gave me it with 10, 15 to minutes to go, I might have said, 'Yes, I'll take it'."

Another good display from Jack Rodwell, who people on here like to slate, even though some barely see a lot of him. I think 'sheep' is the word I'm thinking of.

On a side note, Our young defender, Dan Casey, has just been stretched off for our youngsters against Everton with what looks to be a serious injury.

2. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Couldn't watch the game as it wasnt shown over here. What formation did we play? Five defenders?

3. Deleted #

I wasn't at the game, mate. I've got way to much going on in my life, at the moment.

I'm just guessing but I think Love would probably have played as a DM in front of the back 4.

4. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Makes sense. I'd hope we wouldn't play five at the back against Burnley.

5. Deleted #

Yesterday was a disaster. I can't believe he didn't give the kids a run out and his comments about settling for the draw with 10-15mins to go, against the side with one of the worst away records in England, is frightening!

6. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

That quote above about saving the game rather than winning it is the worst aspect about yesterday's result.

A result either way would have been better than having an extra midweek game away.

That was worst possible outcome yesterday. For me anyway.

clockstander and Charley Farley like this.
  7. Deleted #

You are right, mate. Completely agree, we now have to go away to Burnley, risking injury and suspension, sandwiched in between two league games.

It was the best chance he could have had to throw the youngsters on. They could have surprised us and grabbed a win, at worse we would have lost the game in a competition we can't realistically target, anyway.

clockstander likes this.
  8. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

I hadn't realised there was an important U23's game today which must have had some bearing on what side he put out yesterday.

If it was a factor, to put the U23 game before the first squad was just madness for me.

Your last sentence says it all.

Now the lads have a replay on a mid January night. It'll be bloody cold and the risk of further injury is heightened.

Ridiculous.

Anyway I hope the U23's get the result they need though without any more injuries.

9. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Where did you get that from, just out of interest?

Agree with all the above, Moyes doesn't do himself any favours at times. He's so negative it beggars belief. Stick JOS on with 15 mins to go to revert to a 5 at the back is painful. (Not to mention leaving the kids on the bench the whole game and only making one sub).

Apart from the fact the replay will be played at Burnley where we just conceded 4 goals within an hour - brilliant.

10. Deleted #

This was our team for the Everton game, today.

Stryjek, J Robson, Casey (Hume, 45), Ledger, T Robson, Nelson, Embleton, E Robson, Molyneux, Maja (Lawson, 76), Asoro

We got beat 1-0

11. Deleted #

Can't remember mate, just cut and paste from some website that was on newsnow.

12. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

13. Deleted #

They're a bit biased, aren't they <laugh>

I watched a few minutes highlights and Djilobodji looked terrible again. These guys say he had a really good game.

The Norton Cat likes this.
  14. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

I would have upped Denayers rating to MotM. Then Bodgy, Rodders & Mannone just behind.

15. Deleted #

In the very brief highlights I seen, he was at fault twice for Burnley getting behind our defence. He just doesn't seem to be able to play on the turn. He gets caught flatfooted, all the time.

How was Donald Love? Both reports say he had a very decent game for us.

Gil T Azell likes this.
  16. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Anyhow. Good to hear rodders had a decent match. I have been quite impressed with Love recently. Seems to have "grown" into the club if you know what I mean!

Denayer as well. He looks more and more a very good player. Hope we can keep hold of him

clockstander likes this.
  17. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

(Thinks to himself "why did I start that with 'Anyhow' "!!!

18. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Cheers for the info

Deleted likes this.
  19. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Bodgy I like it, easy to spell and ryhmes well. <laugh>

Gil T Azell likes this.
  20. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

He was solid and is gonna be an asset to us.