1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our new year run of bad form.

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Sidthemackem, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

Traditionally, we always seem to fall apart around Christmas and January. Remember being 2nd at Christmas in the days of Peter Reid, before dropping like a stone to 7th? This time round our form (or at least our results) has held up through January and it's only now that we're putting together a bad streak. It seems to me that his represents a bit of progress as far as the strength of our squad is concerned, as we usually have a decent enough first XI, but fall apart when the usual injuries and suspensions take hold.

Another quality striker and some stiffening of the centre of defense and we'll be a tough nut to crack. Now Liverpool are on a roll 7th may be as high as we can hope for, but a couple of decent acquisitions in the summer and we'll be set for a good 2011/12.

2. BillySmartsCircus

i think we've held up ok so far, only stoke really exposed how much we've missed turner and we only have to play them twice a year. i do think another center half is needed though, much as i love mensah he is too much of a liability in terms of injuries. ferdinand i just don't know, he's had some outstanding games this season but i get the feeling bruce doesn't rate him. chelsea were irresistible when we played them, but the spurs game was a disappointment - i think that showed how much we miss catts and meyler. i agree with the positions we need to fill, i think a new center half in place of mensah or anton, and a big powerful striker to hold the ball up and offer something different. i'd also love us to sign a winger... and the loan players permanently, though maybe welbeck on another loan..?

3. Do the Asamoah Dance

As long as we keep hold of Henderson, we'll be fine <laugh>

4. Steven Royston O'Neill

Steven Royston O'Neill Well-Known Member

If only we could get the full team playing good at the same time. I find it strange, solid defence but cant score. Start scoring but midfield weak, score with strong midfield and defence goes again,

5. BillySmartsCircus

think it's a balancing act that bruce hasn't been able to fine tune as he would like given injuries and a couple of surprise walk outs. if we'd just had catts alone fully fit last season and this, i daresay we'd be quite a bit better off.

6. i still feel that top 6 is possible. only 2 points behind the scousers with them to play at home

7. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I'm confident we'll beat Liverpool, but we need a result at Everton to keep them grabbing distance.

We're more than capable of winning at Everton, but they are a good side, and our bogey side.

Break has come at a good time for us.

8. its traditional in times of despair with our great club that we pick up results when we least expect , and lose the games we should win. that said WE WILL BEAT THE ALLOY THEIVES

9. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I just think we're better than them chris, i genuinely do.

The 'kenny effect' was bound to happen, but Liverpool 1-1 Wigan shows that however much you polish a banger, the dents remain in the doors!

10. woosh your telling me, you wanna see the mrs, i plaster her in make up but no avail

11. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Ha ha.

Ouch.

12. Dazzla_FTM

Dazzla_FTM Member

haha...........it shows how things of changed; that the majority of us are more confident against the scousers than we are against Everton....i think we will get a draw against everton and stuff the scousers at home!

13. no

14. Dazzla_FTM

Dazzla_FTM Member

???

15. i love crepes

16. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

I would like to see us sign Samba from Blackburn in the summer this would give us Samba, Titus, Turner, and Mensa subject to another deal or cheap Ferdie ? jury's out on him. We have Bardinio Richardson as cover and Ouhuna would like to keep him as hes good in the center as well, if we can add the Zog and a forward ie the Hulk then we are 3 players from a first class team

17. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Roger,

I'm a huge fan of Samba, we'd not take a pummeling in the air with hoim in the side.

Didn't he just sign a new deal though?

18. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

We're more than capable of beating Everton and Liverpool, I agree it is a hard game especially away from home and yes, they are a bit of a bogie team for us but i don't go for the traditional route. We're a far better team (squad) than any previous years i can remember so tradition is out of the window, we are capable and will win. How's that for positive thinking?

19. Wherewereyou

Wherewereyou Guest

He did. But ain't that sometimes used as an unseen "sweetener" for someone who wants away, as it increases their market price?

20. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

This is true mate.

I recall him saying 'he can't see himself ever playing for the club again' or words to that effect.

He'd cost £6-8million, but would INSTANTLY cure our set piece flaws.

A proper menace at the other end as well if Jordan can get the ball in the air <whistle>

Welder,

Does for me mate, and very true as well.