1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Hello folks I'm back again having visited Plym's neck of the woods for my annual look around. This Brexit thing is a funny old thing and certainly was brought into sharp focus with what I saw and heard in that region. Whilst I don't know for sure I would guess that the Kent region voted quite overwhelmingly for Out.

My visit was to Folkstone for a bout of cross channel shopping. The Hotel I stay in is a pretty big one and normally there are loads of coach parties staying there from around the Country all doing much the same as why I go there. In a normal week there are usually up to 20 coaches there and if you average out that each coach has around 40 people on it that works out to 800 people a week for 52 weeks a year. This time there were around 5 coaches in the Hotel and speaking to folk it appears that is becoming the norm rather than as previous. The shopping people go for is an obvious one which is alcohol and tobacco products across the Channel. My experience with the Customs people this time was rediculous. We were taken off the coach 4 times in the day. Twice on the way out of the Country and twice on the way back. Nobody had loads of stuff and it was plainly obvious they didn't. The interigation was well OTT. Where had we been, what was in the bag, how much was it, did we have a receipt, when did we last go abroad, was the stuff for ourselves and finally, did anyone else pack the bag. Remember this was a carrier bag not a suitcase. There were 3 coach loads of children who were aged 8 or 9 years old. We knew that because we were talking to their teacher on the ferry coming back to England. They had been to Calaise for the day on a field trip. They had them off their coach as well and would you believe questioned them about where they had been and why. I am not kidding with that and it is true I promise you. Basically they made it as difficult as they could and quite deliberately in my opinion. Passports have a chip in them these days and they know exactly when somebody has been abroad and where. They scan them whilst talking to you so the info is already on the screen. It is just pure intimidation because this Government doesn't want people to get any benefit from the good parts of being in Europe. These are the reasons people are not going to places like Folkestone anymore. The result will be when the shoppinng ends altogether once we have left the Union will be that 40,000 people less will visit that region from one single hotel. No doubt that hotel will close because there is no way it can be sustained by casual visitors. It's too big and it needs the coach tours. The revenue these people alone spend in Folkestone must be considerable and will be lost to the area. Jobs will go as a knock on. The European funding the area gets, and it is obvious it does get quite a bit, will also be gone. Obvious result will be a run down **** tip of a place which will die on it's feet. And the lemmings voted for it.

I should add that the figures above are for Monday to Friday and don't include another 15 coaches for the weekends. The sadest thing of all is when you speak to people none of them seem to get it. I cannot see the point in anyone voting for the least Out parties now. WE are leaving and it is not going to change. I cannot see there being another vote. Pity but it's fact.

2. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

well that won't be the only bad effect on jobs in this country.. These people who voted to leave, don't really know the impact it will have.. also on them..
    We now have to wait and see what the pantomime produces on june 8/9 ... :oops:

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

EUROVISION SONG CONTEST 2017

It's that time for the UK to get it's annual thrashing from our "friends" in Europe.

The most cringeworthy moment on TV each year.

TV and Radio programmes get excited about it.....talking about....have you organized your song contest party yet....and things you can do together....good grief are these people real.....they do like their annual bit of humiliation.

Australia in it of course....pardon me... when where they part of Europe....bad enough having Israel as part of Europe.....will they be claiming that that allows them to join the U.S of EU next.

Being held in the Ukraine this year.........who of course have banned Russia from coming......concerns that Russia will try to disrupt the satellite signal....the organizers have arranged for back up satellites connections to be available just in case.

Personally losing the satellite connection sounds like a gift sent from heaven....via Moscow of course.

4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's quite easy plym you just switch to another channel. It's got little to do with Europe and even less to do with singing.

5. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

I can't remember the year of the first Eurovision Song Contest but all of our Family used to watch.
    Can anyone name the UK winners songs.
    Bryan Highland ?

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Against my better judgement I looked it up for you.

First year was 1956 and was won by Switzerland.

We've won it five times.

1967.....Sandie Shaw.
    1969.....Lulu.....four way tie.
    1976.....Brotherhood of Man.
    1981.....Bucks Fizz.
    1997.....Katrina and the Waves.

Bryan Highland has never taken part.

We came a distant 15th out of 24 this year.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

At least we got some points plym. The contest, and I loosely call it a contest, has nothing to do with singing anymore. When you and your family watched it BC it WAS about singing even if the songs now sound a bit naff. It's become political and about giving the max points to your favourite neighbour in return for their max points. It is without doubt a total joke. This year there was an entry from Australia. What the feck has that place got to do with Europe? I am pleased to say I missed it...............again.

8. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Those were the days then....My Friend.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Yep, I suppose you have to say........ Congratulations........ to the winners. (Here we go with 50 posts on song titles)

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Oh no we don't....I'll delete the damn lot.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You're just a puppet on a string but will come up against your Waterloo eventually..

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH....:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

13. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

You only have yourself to blame Plym for starting the topic in the first place.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Never learn do I.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Ding a Dong (1975) and Boom Bang-a-Bang(1969) plym. You need to be Making your Mind Up(1981). All kind of Everything(1970) get posted on here. But Hallelujah(1979) it's all over for another year. We should Refrain (1956) from posting anymore.........<cheers>....<party>

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

No comment, no comment, no comment, no comment, no comment, no comment, no comment, no comment, no comment, no comment, no comment.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Championship playoff semi tonight Shef Wed v Huddersfield ends 1 - 1 after extra time. Penalty shootout which Shef Wed lose. Harsh way to miss out on the chance of the premier league. If we were involved I wouldn't have been able to watch. One off match for Reading and Huddersfield in a multi millions game. No pressure then.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

You can understand why Reading released Craig Tanner when he returned....he will not ever have a hope at Championship level....and if they reach the promised land at Wembley he certainly would be well out of his depth.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Exeter win 3 - 2 having scored the winner in the 95th minute. I'm surprised I culdn't hear the roar from here. Good on them is my opinion. Hope they go on and take the prize as well.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

So it's Exeter v Blackpool then with Blackpool also getting a winner in the 95th minute. Well it was a 3 - 3 draw in the end but it gave them the tie. Mellor scores an own goal and one of their's scores an own goal winner. Bet he will sleep easy tonight poor sod.