1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Think Zola resigned rather than was sacked. Who cares anyway. This is becoming the norm in football these days and is just another story in a very long line of stories at different clubs saying much the same thing. Can't understand why they hired Zola in the first place. Great player but crap manager as his previous suggests.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Derek Adams is already working on friendly pre-season matches for this summer......will be playing Cardiff at Home Park.....date to be confirmed.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Norwich beat Brighton 2-0 tonight......the stats show that they had no shots on target,

BUT they twice hit the bar and got rebounds off the back of Brighton's goalkeeper Stockdale....both in the first half.....nothing stranger than fiction then facts.

4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Have you noticed how once a team is pronounced promoted they bleddy lose the next one.............:eek:

5. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

I don't think Derek Adams does flip flops.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Chelsea... 4-2...Spurs....what a great game of football......Spurs so unlucky at times......Chelsea so good at soaking pressure up and breaking out and scoring.....rather cruel on Spurs.

7. notDistantGreen

Thanks, I recorded that.......

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Be my guest.....:rolleyes:

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Just for once I heard a pundit come out with a fact of football. Janus was spouting about Spurs being the best team and being unlucky and all the usual stuff. Shearer then put him in his place by stating that the only stat that matters is the score and possession has nothing to do with that. It doesn't matter how much you have the ball it's what you do with it when you've got it. What have we been saying for the whole of the season other than exactly that. It was a decent game to watch for a change however so agree with that.

10. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Yep I know Joe we dropped 2 points today. I'm gutted as well.........:grin:

12. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

yea was hoping for the 3 points and a spurs win . that was a good win for the bookies

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Did anyone see the Jeff Stelling rant on the sky sports news channel today? I always watch that for the scores as they come in when Argyle are away. It was so funny in a way but also applaud worthy at the same time. When Hartlepool, where he was born and is apparently the club President. went one down to Barnet you could visably see he was upset. A bit later they went 2 down and Newport scored to climb above them. He was visably even more upset although he didn;t say anything at that time. However, when the final scores came in he went off on one against the current Manager. He was ranting about him resigning and if he wouldn't then he should be sacked. He stated he was quite prepared to either resign or be sacked from his President job for saying it but pleaded with Jones to get lost basically. I think two things with this. The first is I applaud the man who is quite high profile himself for sticking with his home town club when he could easily jump on a big club coat tails and secondly for being passionate enough to shout at the camera on screen with his opinion. You wouldn't get that on the good old beeb would you. Jeff Stelling I applaud you....<applause><applause><applause><applause><applause><applause><applause><applause><applause>

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I see Stelling got his wish.

Went to Home Park and bought two season tickets today. Oh sorry "memberships". Quite what I'm a member of I'm not sure but still. Emailed No.1 son with the tidings he is going to Argyle again next season and he was overcome with emotion. He cried......:D

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I did inquire a couple of years back.....why isn't there some form of membership....that isn't just linked to buying a "season" ticket or just buying the odd ticket now and again ?.

Being an exile I find it far easier to buy tickets from the away club.....no waffling around and having to wait until the last minute to be eligible.....go online and just buy there and then......and they follow you up later on to keep you informed.

Next season could be a good one for me....with maybe 4 games to go to.....Charlton, Millwall ?, Wimbledon, Gillingham....just hope none of them are mid-week especially the Charlton one...because of my son and grandson (school the next morning) being fans.

16. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

How much would you be prepared to pay for a membership that doesn't really give you anything except a) the sense of belonging and b) possible priority for high demand fixtures. Serious question. I have asked the question before/suggested it as an idea but there doesn't seem to be much of a desire to part with (say) £25 for a bit of plastic that doesnt really get you much. We used to have the Pilgrim(?) membership along similar lines but I understand that there wasn't that much demand. Maybe something that the club can think about for the season after next.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Bit of plastic maybe.....10% off shop products.....also news updates from the club....match day info.....some paperwork and maybe a badge etc.....just to feel you belong to something.....and certainly better treatment for the odd tickets now and again......as I said you get better treatment from away clubs.....example...we haven't played Gillingham for awhile... yet I still get regular emails from them.....also Dag & Red and Wimbledon keep in touch.

Last time I got tickets for Home Park was when I met you and sensible at the Bristol R game.....and then of course Wembley last year (4 tickets).....not a dickey bird from them since.....so uncaring it seems.....I have been following the club from a distance for literally 70 years.

Of course Dag & Red and Wimbledon would mug you to get you to come to their poorly supported games.....Gillingham do get better support.....next season possibly Charlton, Millwall (maybe), Wimbledon and Gillingham will get me buying tickets online....easier than being at the end of a long wait for PAFC to think your worthy of a ticket.

PS....£25 seems fair enough.

18. notDistantGreen

It's technology I'm afraid. Use it or lose out. I get regular contacts ( not all useful but that's not unusual) via email and Twitter.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Don't know what the fuss is all about to be honest. Football has always been treated differently to any other entertainment. If fans of music events were treated as badly as football supporters often are then the stadiums would be empty and the bands playing to themselves. But, football clubs expect supporters to just turn up no matter what. They queue, get frisked, herded like cattle into and out of the ground quite often. The clubs tell the "customers" little or nothing except where to donate their cash and how much. And if that weren't enough to make you want to stay home they bow down to the TV companies who give them very little over a season. If the TV company wants a game at 11.30pm then it gets what it wants and the man on the terrace gets to go screw themselves if they don't like it. We know it, we have always known it and yet we come back year on year regardless. Why would a football club change that and try harder? We don't make them do we and yet wouldn't put up with half of that from any other source.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I see that Jake Gosling who spent 2003/09 at PAFC as a youth player has been released by Bristol Rovers.....presently playing at Forest Green Rovers.