1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Optimistic...?

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by sirjohnhumphrey, May 30, 2011.

1. sirjohnhumphrey

I know it's hard to compare but what are your feelings about the coming season in comparison to this time last year?
    We had just lost the play off semi final and were readying ourselves for the loss of a number of key players, leaving a fairly threadbare squad.
    Similar to now I guess...but with the prospect of getting in some better players and a different manager.
    Thoughts?

2. houndal

houndal Member

SJH - If I am totally honest with myself personally I dont think Powell has the jacobs to get us promoted.
    But I am a lot happier than this time last year - No more Parky !! <ok>

3. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Much more optimistic. This time last year Richard Murray was taking us to oblivion. I much prefer this management team, especially Damien Matthew, but the bottom line is that our club is no longer heading for the rocks.

4. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

I am far happier with our current position than I was this time last year :)

5. houndal

houndal Member

2003 - just 8 years ago we were an established PL team, and Swansea were 1 game away from relegation to to the conference.
    Now we are mid table mediocrity in L1 and Swansea will be playing in the PL.
    We all know where we went wrong - but what did Swansea do right and can we have some please.
    PS - I would be prepared to wager a little that they went nowhere near Phil Parkinson.

6. Danny

Danny New Member

you're going to get relegated

7. MartinhoCAFC

MartinhoCAFC Member

anyone knows that a successful team is kept together for a long time

I dread to think how many different players we have gotten through since relegation from the Premier League yes, include all the loans it must have reached 100 different players, possibly more? Someone out there must know the exact figure.

Under Curbs I don't think he ever used 100 players in his whole time with us or if he did it would certainly have been less than the amount used in our 4 seasons out of the Premier League.

The key is creating a spine of the team that is going to stick together for some time ie get our best players tied down on 3 or 4 years contracts and then let Powell bring in the players he wants around them, more signings like Hollands, players in demand instead of the McCormacks of the world.

8. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Danny good comment mate <ok> HOWEVER ??? I wonder who the bookies are going to take more money on -

Charlton to get relegated?

OR

The Croydon Club to get relegated?

Now let me think :emoticon-0138-think

Oh bugger it..... I already know the answer because I've already had a score on it and you are third favourites to go down aren't you? <laugh>

9. dick plumb

dick plumb Well-Known Member

Can we have a thread Houndal where Parkinson doesn't get a mention. It is very tedious.He has no relevance to our club any longer.In answer to the threads title i am happy that we have new owners and are in a better state financially.Still waiting to see what the "significant investment" brings us on the pitch. I feel that Lord Sir Baron Powell the Charlton legend will not be able to get us promoted and at the end of the season we will have improved to 10th position.

10. sirjohnhumphrey

Nice avatar, Dick. Surely not done to wind up a certain poster?

11. Dick Van Dykes Disco Dungarees

please log in to view this image

Time to come clean folks ......

I did not go to the final game of the season !!!!

And on that bombshell I'm off to make a cup of tea

12. houndal

houndal Member

Dickyplumb - just who is your avatar?
    Dont recognise it at all
    <rofl> <ok>

13. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

SirJohn has the Catford cat- that thing terrified me as a child. You've just bought back some horrible memories haha