1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

[OMT] Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham United

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by THFC6061, Apr 27, 2014.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

More than that, what cover we did have at right back left the club in January - Ryan Fredericks went to Millwall on loan, then we sold Adam Smith to Bournemouth.

2. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

1) if kaboul and dawson were the ideal partnership for today why were we on the back foot from the first whistle and why did kaboul become rattled enough to commit a stupid foul and get sent off and why did dawson make mistakes?

2) your point re adebayor is nonsensical...he should have take adebayor off imo...he says he don't give a **** about other views ... only his own as a manager so therefore him being "slaughtered" for removing adebayor is nonsense

3) He was the manager in January...he sold defoe...he said we didn't need any players on several occasions...if he felt we needed players but was refused the money after selling defoe he should have made that public or quit. He could have recalled bae to at least give rose some competition ... no money involved but he chose not to.

4) you have not commented on sandro instead of paulinio

5) at no point have I said we could get top 4 with this team...I just think we should not be out played by norwich (nearly relegated), west ham (a poor side) hull (fighting relegation) or being slaughtered by 4 or 5 goals on a semi regular basis.

3. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

We never start well with Sherwood, we always look a mess for the first 20+ minutes. Against most poorer sides we can usually recover but it's far from ideal and something we've never looked like correcting under Sherwood.

We were set up the same way that struggled against 10 man Stoke. If you're not thinking of changing the way we set up after that then nothing will change his mind.

I'd have liked to see a competitive midfield but instead we had two centre midfielders that are at their best getting forward into the box, one winger and yet another attacking midfielder. Yes, Kaboul and Rose made mistakes for the sending off but playing a midfielder that can at least try to protect the defence would've come in handy. There really was no balance in that side. Our centre backs have a tendency to struggle in some games and we have a second choice right back, who is weak, and a left back who does better in attack than defence with 6 attacking players infront of them and only one of them is known for any defensive ability(Lennon). I'm no fully licensed manager, neither is Sherwood, but that strikes me as a risky set up, at best. The only times it's worked for us has been at home to sides in the relegation zone with managers with a similar amount of Premier League experience to Tim.

It is the same mistakes Sherwood is making and when Sandro and Bentaleb are on the bench it is clear he can do things to change it. If we didn't loan Holtby out we also might not need to always rely on Eriksen having a good game for us to score goals. Chiriches has also played right back and in midfield before so that's another option he could've used to change things.

4. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Pellegerini subbed off his injured best striker for a fairly defensive midfielder this evening with the score at 1-1 in a must win game. That's a man with the conviction and nous to make a change other than the obvious like-for-like swap.

5. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Not enough on MOTD to really comment too much, other than Lloris putting in a shift
    and that Ade/Paulinho shocker in the wall. The Kaboul red : yeah it could be given.

6. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

I think it shows how poor the premier league is ... and how fortunate we have been.
    we were lucky to beat Hull and lucky to draw with them, lucky to beat Everton, fortunate to beat swansea at home, fortunate to beat palace at home, fortunate to beat stoke away, fortunate to beat southampton...and that's just off the top of my head

the only unlucky result I remember was the Newcastle home match.

a club that has lost 3 nil and 2 nil to west ham, that loses 6-1 , 5-1 (at home), 5-0 (at home), 4-0 and 4-0, lose 5 home matches, only has a plus 2 gd, fails to beat west brom home and away, loses to Norwich should not come 6th in a strong league in my opinion.

I get that 1 or 2 or maybe even 3 of those things can happen but all of them?

7. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

"I think it shows how poor the premier league is ... and how fortunate we have been."

Indeed. Spurs should probably be mid 50s at best with the way they have played this season.

8. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Except Everton, yes they generally have more resources, I agree. However, we have had a "windfall" of some £120mil over the last two seasons - from the sale of two of our very best players, admittedly. That is substantial sum, even by our rivals standards. All that appears to have happened with that money is that it has been wasted on overpriced players. Players of a similar type, or hopeless managers. The only worthwhile buy being Lloris. That money has been spent and we have gone backwards.

How we have 66 points is the only miracle here. It just demonstrates how the overall standard of the Premiership has dropped, that a team as ordinary as ours should be in our position. Our defence is a joke. We have so striker worth of the name, save Adebayor - when he can be bothered. Did you not watch yesterday's farce? If you did, how can you claim any sort of "miracle" has occurred? The only miracle was that we weren't totally humiliated ( again!) thanks to Lloris.

9. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

should not be playing Rose?,the only Spurs player to force a save out of the keeper,can't be faulted for anything else,even the sending off

10. So, once again getting caught the wrong side of his attacker, letting him stroll away and cause the Kaboul 'foul' is not a culpable act??? Mmmmmm... Think even Sherwood might disagree with that assessment.

I do wish that someone would compile a video of some of his shockers this season - although it would be XXX-rated and not suitable for those of a delicate disposition. (Especially if combined with those of his RB mate!!)
    Rose has cost us - directly and indirectly - at least 10 goals this year and that's probably being kind. He has done NOTHING to show that he should be our first choice LB. And one run and shot in the last couple of minutes of an already lost game does not make a positive.
    Can you just imagine the level of vitriol being aimed at the previous incumbent at LB if he had committed anything like the same number of bloomers?

11. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

don't agree,Eriksen would have the amount of goals he has,had Rose not been in the side,drawing fouls,and it showed while he was out injured

12. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

I wasn't being serious about the miracle but it's nor a disaster either. We havn't got 'overpriced' players, we've just got a lot more settling in to do. The squad still cost a lot less than City's, Utd's and Chelsea's despite the windfalls but if a new manager can get them playing together in a good style it's way better than Everton's so should be good for 75+ points with the right leadership.

On another point, being worried about 'humiliations' isn't right. If you are 2-0 down or worse you should be playing more riskily, not less, because you really do have 'nothing to lose'. So sometimes you will get heavily beaten. Much better than shutting up shop and limiting the damage which is good only for the manager's ego.

13. Not sure what goals and games you are referring to, but Erilksen has 10 goals in all comps this season and none have been as a result of freekicks drawn by fouls on Rose. He has scored from 3 freekicks and they were against WBA in the PL (Walker) and 2 in the EL against Dnipro (Ade) and Benfica (Kane).
    It was a foul on Rose that led to Kabouls goal against Fulham, but that's hardly a great return is it - especially when he has only scored once and has a massive negative equity of cock-ups leading to goals conceded.

14. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

In relative terms, it's a disaster! You mean Soldado wan't overpriced? Quite possibly Lamela & Paulinho too. Yes, a manager who has the first clue about managing a football team will certainly help.

Are you forgetting just who we were playing yesterday?? That wasn't City, it wasn't Chelsea, it was bloody Wet Spam! Yes, perhaps you do need to try and get back into the game instead of retreating and limiting the score. We did neither! We never looked like scoring, and if not for Lloris, we would have been humiliated by, I remind you again, Sam Allardyce's West Ham! We were a complete and utter shambles. Paulinho and Adebayor politely allowing Downing to score his first Spammers goal, ( very sporting off them, I thought) just added a final comical irony to the disaster.

15. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Soldado still looks a very good player to me: but his confidence is gone. He may still turn out to be successful. But there is no foolproof means of finding out in advance which players will be worth the money. Our problem is that we've got five competitors with deeper pockets who can therefore afford more mistakes.

16. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Whilst I wouldn't! Disagree that he's probably a better player than we've seen so far, nevertheless we paid £26mil for a striker who is currently almost 30. He's not worth that much and he never was. We grossly overpaid.

17. And if you spend that much on a near-30 year old, then you certainly can't allow his first season to drift by as a 'settling in' period.... For the most part I think he has tried as hard as he can and certainly hasn't been helped by the way that AVB set up at the start of the season. We can but hope that he will produce next year!

18. yidokev

yidokev Active Member

absolutely spot on, same goes for Lamela, when you pay that much for a player surely he can walk straight into the team, that the reason they cost so much in the first place. Anybody who's willing to spend £30 million on a player that needs at least a season to settle in needs their head looking at

19. yidokev

yidokev Active Member

1. Its West Ham at Upton park we're going to be under pressure early on, I still think we would have got at least a draw if we didn't have a man sent off. Wouldn't say Kaboul looked rattled, the guy was through on goal and went down very easily. Regarding Dawson's mistakes its because he's crap

2. I meant on here he would've got destroyed, given the choice of taking off Kane or Adebayor you would get a small majority saying keep Kane on (that's at the time, not now after the result)

3. Defoe rumour was doing the rounds for a while pretty sure that was agreed before Tim took over. Remember he only got the got job end of December, I think his comments where we've spent £100 million and he wants to see what he could do with it. I agree BAE should have been recalled

4. Sandro should've started instead of Paulinho

5. I agree, even with a crap manager the players on the pitch should be able to beat those mugs which says to me the players don't give a ****/not as good as we/they think they are.

20. If the players know the manager is a mug, they won't bother doing their job. It's the same in any business. If you work for a boss who you know will kick your arse if you don't perform, you'll do your job. It really is as simple as that. If the boss, in any business, isn't performing, his team will slacken off. The owners of that business that isn't performing will always sack the manager and not "his" team as a first initiative to getting things back on track. Anyone who argues with me on this has never owned a business.