1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

[OMT] Tottenham Hotspur v Stoke City

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by THFC6061, Apr 20, 2014.

1. ricc full

ricc full Well-Known Member

its nice to see some honesty, I thought we deserved to win, good luck for the rest of the season

2. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

I think you'd be surprised the difference that playing well and knowing your role in the team can make.

Ozil's a good example too. He started the season well getting straight into the swing of things at a fairly settled side which knew what they were doing. When Ramsey got injured Wenger had Ozil dropping deeper to get play going, which is where he's less effective and all of a sudden he doesn't just look out of form but he looks a bad player.

But we're going to have to agree to disagree here, I feel :D

3. No Kane No Gain

I don't think you deserved to win as you didn't come close to scoring. You had plenty of attacks and even created some good chances but not one of them went close to going in, or even testing Lloris.

If games were won simply by having plenty of the ball and attacking AVB would've had us top of the league but you need much more than that. We could've easily lost that game if your attack did a better job but they didn't and you could equally say that had we attacked better we'd have cleaned up by a bigger margin. Ifs and buts don't change anything and in truth I felt it was a close match with only one move of real quality, reflected by the 1-0 scoreline.

4. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wonder if Mark Hughes will be taken to task for his behaviour yesterday? He was appalling during the game and just laid into Marriner after it.
    I can't think of where he might've picked up such a routine from. It's not like any of his old clubs would ever dream of trying to intimidate the officials, is it?

5. No Kane No Gain

He had every right to be upset with Marriner as he had a crap game but he totally messed up his reasons. Firstly, with the Rose one Marriner seemed totally oblivious to the challenege despite it going on right infront of him, he wasn't going to book Shawcross later because Stoke had the ball so there was no advantage to us. I think it was the lino or 4th official that must've have had a word with him as he was bizarrely letting play continue. Secondly, he accused Marriner of guessing, something I hate seeing refs do too but you're hardly in a position to comment when you guess that every decision going against you is wrong, like Hughes did yesterday.

6. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Hughes was constantly on at Marriner from the first half onwards, YV. He was extremely vocal and you could constantly hear him shouting at "Andre".
    The crowd were reacting to it from pretty early on and especially at the start of the second half, prior to the red card. After that was given they just went a bit mental.
    The abuse that Rose was receiving for being kicked repeatedly was unbelievable. He hadn't even dived, for once! <laugh>

7. No Kane No Gain

The amount od people suggesting Rose could've been sent off for pushing Cameron is scary. An angry push is a booking, no more no less. Fabio got the same for pushing a Sunderland player today and Mikel got the same for pushing an Atletico player midweek yet there were no suggestions from anyone that they should have been sent off. Idiots.

Rose gets a rough deal from fans, doesn't he. I guess we're lucky he didn't hear any racial abuse and punt the ball into the crowd again :D

8. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Rose often deserves stick from opposition fans, as he tends to go to ground easily, to use the old euphemism.
    He didn't do that yesterday, though and was kicked all over the shop, as well as having one of their players accidentally stud him in the head, which he didn't play on.

The home fans seemed to get annoyed at fouls being given against them, regardless of whether they deserved to be or not.
    Shawcross deserved to go and various others were lucky not to go in the book, but they went crazy at every decision that didn't go their way.
    Hughes was definitely relying on that with his constant rants at the ref. There's a lot of Old Trafford in the twat.

9. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

"There's a lot of Old Trafford in the t**t. "

This seasons' play at least. :)

10. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Not a pretty game to watch but 3 points nonetheless.

Rose probably had his best game in a Spurs shirt prior to his moment of madness - which I feel was justified (look, I'm sticking up for Rose! <laugh>) - his defensive play was actually of that of a left back for a change, not some headless chicken winger-turned-full back. His goal also capped off what was becoming a fine, mature performance, it was a brilliant header after some great play from Ade. Then **** started to happen which was typical Stoke, many know how much I hate those ****ers and yesterday showed why. Their players are pure scum, they knew Rose has a short switch and were doing everything in their power to make him flip, it paid off to some extent after Cameron's sly, dirty tackle, luckily I think the ref saw sense and realised Stoke were using dirty tactics in order to get Rose sent off, had that been an incident where Rose wasn't the target of abuse from home fans and niggling tackles from Stoke throughout, that may well have been a red. Tim made the right decision to sub him when he did, if Rose stayed on the pitch he'd have been goner within 10 minutes no doubt. Though as I said, prior to that incident, Rose had a great game, his best in a Spurs shirt.
    I thought Paulinho was good too, put in a real box-to-box performance and should've capped the performance off with a goal. Last mention to Dawson, I thought he was very good at the back, making some great last ditch tackles, was like the Daws of old.

As boring of a game as it was and as lacklustre of a performance we put in, you certainly did not deserve to win.

Neither team put in a dominant performance and both keepers were barely tested, though we grabbed a goal and should've killed it off with Paulinho in the dying minutes. A draw perhaps may have been "fair" but to say you deserved a win is ludicrous.

11. Rose did not have a 'great' game. He did probably have his best PL game for us at LB and finished a good goal, but there were some serious defensive errors still and his overreaction which could easily have led to a red card was idiotic. That combination doesn't equal a great game!

The vitriolic abuse he received was totally unacceptable and Sherwood was 100% right to remove him from the action - only surprised he didn't do it a couple of minutes earlier.

Hopefully, Rose will grow from this experience - especially if we end up stuck with him as No 1 LB next season!!

12. ricc full

we were hitting you with attacks constantly for 45 minutes in the second half, you had one attack and scored, the ball was bouncing all round your goal for large portions of the game, you were very lucky to get the win and we were VERY unlucky not to win

13. ricc full

absolute rubbish, Rose should have gone and Shawcross should have stayed on the pitch. If it was the other way round you would have been as furious as I was just admit it and be honest

14. ricc full

for gods sake Rose is a big boy now on £50,000 a week, if he cant handle the abuse then he should have picked a different job. Rooney getis it every game and you dont see him crying. He needs to grow up and grow a pair

15. No Kane No Gain

Haha, okay then, pal <ok>

16. No Kane No Gain

The ref should have allowed you to start with a 2 goal headstart also. As a Stoke fan I'm sure you've seen plenty of dirty play but when have you ever seen a player given a straight red for a push in the chest?

17. ricc full

raised his hands pal, go read the rule book

18. ricc full

im glad we are on the same page tarraaahh

19. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

No. You're wrong. Sorry.

20. No Kane No Gain

Please quote it and provide examples of pushes being given as a straight red.