1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

[OMT] Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by THFC6061, Mar 20, 2014.

1. THFC6061

THFC6061 Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Tottenham Hotspur host Southampton at White Hart Lane on Sunday 23rd Match 2014 (KO 13:30) in the 31st round of 2013-14 Premier League matches.

Spurs come into the game in 5th place on 53 points with the Saints in 8th place on 45 points. This will be the 182nd time the two teams have met each other.

Spurs and Southampton were two of England's top teams at the start of the 20th Century with the Saints reaching the 1900 & 1902 FA Cup Finals and Spurs going one better by winning the competition in 1901, thus becoming the only non-League club to achieve the feat since the formation of the Football League in 1888-89.

The first meeting between the clubs came in December 1893 and the friendly finished as a 1-0 win to Southampton, Four more friendlies were played over the next four years and the first competitive match was played in March 1897 with Southampton drawing their home Southern League fixture 1-1 and Spurs drawing their home fixture 2-2 a month later.

The clubs were regular opponents in both the Southern League and Western League until 1908, when Tottenham switched to become a Football League club. Those non-League encounters were usually hard fought affairs and Southampton had slightly the better of things overall.

The first FA Cup encounter between the clubs came in January 1902 with holders Spurs held 1-1 in the 1st Round (today's 3rd Round) at White Hart Lane. The replay was also drawn 2-2 and a second replay was held at Elm Park, Reading with Southampton winning 2-1. The Saints made it all the way to the Final that season before losing to Sheffield United in a replay.

Tottenham played Southampton four times during World War One in the London Combination and won three of those games to Southampton's one. The Spurs home games were played at Highbury and Homerton, as White Hart Lane had been taken-over by the army.

Southampton, who were founded in 1885 started-out as St. Mary’s Church Young Men’s Association and moved to The Dell in 1898, joined the newly-formed Football League Division Three in season 1920-21 and won promotion to Division Two at the first attempt. They remained in the Second Division for 31 consecutive seasons.

The first League meeting between Tottenham and Southampton came in September 1928 with Spurs drawing 1-1 at The Dell and winning 3-2 at White Hart Lane in January 1929.

The clubs played a further eight seasons in Division Two prior to World War Two and Spurs won 9 and drew 3 of the 18 games played during this period. Ten games were played during World War Two with Spurs winning five, Southampton winning two and three games drawn.

The first of three key player transfers from Southampton to Tottenham came in 1949 when right-back Alf Ramsey joined Spurs. The General would become a huge part of Spurs successive Second and First Division Championship winning teams in the early 1950's and play for England 32 times.

Tottenham and Southampton resumed their matches in Division Two in the four seasons after World War Two before Spurs won promotion to Division One for the 1950-51 season. There was also an FA Cup 6th Round match in January 1948 at the Dell which Spurs won 1-0.

Southampton won promotion to the First Division in season 1966-67 for the first time in their history and Spurs won both fixtures 5-3 at home and 1-0 away. The Saints kept their First Division status until season 1973-74.

The second key transfer came in January 1968 when Spurs bought Southampton centre forward Martin Chivers for a then British record fee of £125,000. Spurs striker Frank Saul moved in the opposite direction as part of the deal. Big Chiv took a while to find his form, partnering first Jimmy Greaves and later Alan Gilzean but once he came back from a broken leg, he became England's finest attacker in the early to mid-1970's.

October 1968 saw the first Football League Cup match between the clubs and Spurs won the 5th Round match 1-0 at the Lane.

Tottenham were relegated for season 1977-78 and both Second Division matches with Southampton ended as 0-0 draws, the latter giving both clubs promotion to the First Division, along with Champions Bolton Wanderers. The 28 games played in Division One from 1978-79 to 1991-92 resulted in 12 wins for Tottenham, 9 wins for Southampton and 7 draws.

During this period, the clubs met twice in the FA Cup with a win apiece and once in the League Cup with a win for the Saints. There were also two games played in the Screen Sports Super Cup, a competition which took the place of European matches for English clubs which were banned.
    Spurs won both of these games 2-1 at home and 3-1 away.

Both Tottenham Hotspur and Southampton were founder members of the Premier League in 1992-93, but the Saints were relegated at the end of the 2004-05 season. Spurs have the edge during these encounters with 14 wins to 10 with 5 matches drawn. The very first Premier League game for both clubs was a 0-0 draw on 15th August 1992 at The Dell.

A fifth round FA Cup replay in March 1995 saw an amazing hat-trick by Ronnie Rosenthal to give Spurs a 6-2 win. Southampton won the last FA Cup meeting in January 2003 4-0 at St. Mary's Stadium, which had become the Saints new home in August 2001.

In May 2007, Spurs secured the services of the third key player from Southampton when Welsh left-sided player Gareth Bale was signed initially for £5,000,000 with an additional £2,000,000 paid in add-ons. Tottenham's Spanish attacking midfielder Iago Falque was loaned to the Saints, who won promotion back to the Premier League as runners-up in the 2011-12 Championship.

The Premier League match at St. Mary's Stadium in October 2012 resulted in a 2-1 win for Spurs. Gareth Bale opened the scoring after 15 minutes with Clint Dempsey adding a second for Spurs after 39 minutes. The Saints second half goal was scored by Jay Rodriguez.

Gareth Bale scored the only goal in the game at White Hart Lane in May 2013.

The first game in charge of Spurs for Tim Sherwood came in December 2013 at Southampton and the Saints took a 13th minute lead through Adam Lallana but Emmanual Adebayor levelled in the 25th minute. Jos Hooiveld scored an own goal to put Spurs 2-1 up before Rickie Lambert equalised in the 59th minute. The winning goal for Tottenham came from Adebayor five minutes later.

Overall, Spurs have won 78, Southampton have won 58 and 45 of the 181 matches between the two clubs have been drawn.

Full History of Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton Matches 1893-2014

They Played for Spurs & Saints....

Paul Allen
    Gareth Bale
    Lee Barnard
    Dave Beasant

Joe Blake
    Kevin Bond (Saints player, Spurs asst manager)
    Tommy Cable
    Martin Chivers
    George Clawley
    Peter Crouch
    Ian Culverhouse
    Calum Davenport

Alf Day
    Ally Dick
    Kerry Dixon

Dickie Dowsett
    Jack Elkes
    Harry Evans (Saints player, Spurs asst manager)
    Iago Falque
    Tommy Forecast

Alex Glen
    John Gorman (Spurs player, asst manager at both clubs)
    Alf Hawley
    Glenn Hoddle (Spurs player, manager at both clubs)
    John Hollowbread
    David Howells
    Doug Hunt
    Philip Ifil
    Ernie Jones
    Joe Jordan (Saints player, Spurs coach)
    John Joyce
    Kasey Keller
    John McConnachie
    Frank Osborne
    Tomáš Pekhart
    Alf Ramsey
    Grzegorz Rasiak

Harry Redknapp (manager with both clubs)
    Jamie Redknapp
    Matt Reilly
    Ron Reynolds (also Saints scout)
    Dean Richards
    Graham Roberts

Dick Rowley
    Neil Ruddock
    John Sainty (Spurs player, Saints coach)
    Frank Saul
    Graeme Souness
    (Spurs player, Saints manager)
    Archie Turner
    Wilf Waller

Tottenham Hotspur Premier League Player's Squad Numbers 1993-94 to 2013-14

Southampton Premier League Player's Squad Numbers 1993-94 to 2013-14

2. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

I still can't fathom how our top scorer this season only has 8 goals!

3. THFC6061

THFC6061 Well-Known Member

Adebayor has only really played the second half of the season, so perhaps that has something to do with it?

4. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Will finishing 7th mean Europa because City have won the League Cup?

If so then I hope we finish 8th and have a Europe free season like Liverpool did.

5. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

Depends who's in charge but I wouldn't be too gutted if we finished outside the Europa league spot.

But it's difficult wanting us to lose games just so we miss out on European football to increase our chances of success next season if we have the right manager.

Saints have found some form again after dropping from 3rd so I'm expecting Rodriguez to be involved , plus they have Lambert, Shaw and Lallana all looking to impress and get into the world cup squad.

6. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

I wasn't faulting Adebayor personally for scoring so few goals - just the fact that our highest scorer for the season is on 8 goals total! Isn't that like a third of what Bale scored last year?

Be interesting to see what Spurs do regarding strikers in the transfer window.

7. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

No. The FA Cup runners up (or winners) get the 7th place. So Hull, Wigan and Sheff Utd are playing for that spot, even if they lose to Arsenal in the final. If it's Wigan in the final (<fingerscrossedsmiley>, then the winners get the spot.

For us, only 5th or 6th get Europa football. Frankly unlikely at the moment. Everton and Man Utd for me.

8. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's not about the strikers, in my opinion. We didn't play to Soldado's strengths, didn't support him and everyone we've picked up front has suffered from our lack of a playmaker.
    We still haven't replaced Modric.

9. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

I also think that's the key. If we can get the ball moving quickly enough, we can score. If not, not. Sandro helps a bit here, but we need someone like Huddlestone (only faster, if possible) to get the ball to our fast players as they're running into space. If we get that player, and get Townsend to keep dribbling until he can cut the ball back, we just might have something...

Liverpool's attacking players have gotten a lot of praise, but the key, despite Suarez's talent, is that they perpetually face two, three, four and sometimes one defender because they move the ball up the pitch so quickly.

10. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

The frustrating aspect of watching us and our line ups, is that we try and play systems which rely on a certain type of player, one we don't have and as mentioned we haven't replaced Modric or even attempted.

We have spent near to 120-30 million since he left and never made any real attempt to sign someone who could offer what Modric did.

Sure finding the next Modric is difficult , but at least make an attempt to bring in players who can pass the ball from central midfield as at times we have looked like an expensive version of the old Stoke.

11. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Injuries willing, after the game tonight I'd like to see:

Lloris
    Walker, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Rose
    Sandro
    Lennon, Paulinho, Eriksen, Chadli
    Ade

Might as well go for it, it doesn't look like 8 wins would be enough for us anyway so lets go down playing some attacking football with all the pressure off.

12. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

I told SOS that Chadli was the new Bale but he never listened so saints should be worried about Chadli :)

YV, interesting line up. No room for Bentaleb :p.

We can put to bed the silly rumours of players not wanting to play for Sherwood or talk of a revolt as overall the team spirit is fine, the players don't have a real issue with Sherwood but Tim let's himself down with the team setup so if he can move away from mouthing off and focus more on tactics then we could have a go ending the season showing promise to build on next year.

13. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I like it when Tim mouth's off. It's true what he says.

Nothing wrong with a group of grown men being told that they need to look in the mirror.

They love open praise they can take a bit of open criticism. Plus us fans get to know that the boot was stuck up them.

I sometimes wonder what group is more precious...the players or some of us fans.

I suppose the thinking behind it is 'I've criticised you in front of your fans, now go and prove me wrong in front of them same fans'

I'd be able to handle that but I'm probably a bit old fashioned.

14. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

Lloris
    Walker, Kaboul, Sandro, Rose
    Bentaleb
    Lennon, Chadli Townsend
    Eiriksen
    Ade

What the hell. I'm sick of Vertonghen. Sandro needs to be in the team somewhere. A more or less okay playmaker like Bentaleb is better than none. Paulinho and Dembele don't suit our style despite being good players. We need wide threats. Eiriksen, Chadli and Ade ought to be able to create some goals between them.

15. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

I've found myself in agreement with tims mouthing off but it does get tedious after a while, that's why I want him to realise if he wants to make it as a manager then there are other aspects like tactics and team setup which are more important to gain respect as a manager, aswell as man management.

If he continues to just mouth off then he won't get many jobs and end up on Itv with Keane and Souness!

16. Sidney Fiddler

Sidney Fiddler Well-Known Member

Basically the season is over in one sense.
    Nothing to play for as top 4 is out of our league and the death sentence that is the Europa league is a
    bridge to far. Soon as the Champs league team enter it's goodnight Vienna .
    Watching Sherwood,s blunder football gives so little joy.
    Anyway Good luck Liverpool and City and for us,
    What an almighty cock up!
    I await next years calamity with no expectations .

A realistic , looking forward to spring Sid.

17. totsfan

totsfan Well-Known Member

don't think it's over as long as we stay fifth,and wait for the annual goon meltdown,the is still a chance of 4th

18. Boss

Boss Son of Pulis

Have you not listened to Sherwood, the players are playing for their future <whistle>

It's pretty hilarious reading the response Sherwood is receiving as the negative response to Sherwood and him being viewed as a mouthy arrogant man who hasn't a clue, means you want the guy to succeed, just to silence folk. Yes its unlikely and yes the chance is he won't be here next year but at least we can end the season with some entertainment and reassess in the summer before the usual "project" takes place and Levy writes an open letter telling us how hes committed to making us a force.

19. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

I fail to see how it's the player's fault that we make 5 changes a game, moving players around the pitch constantly with no real game plan other than run up and down the pitch all game. I guess it depends who you blame for the form we're in. I blame Sherwood and if the players do too then I can understand them being very offended when Sherwood goes out and criticises them. Another beef I have with what he says is that after laying into the team he has to come out at say they've reacted well, hence him talking up our Norwich loss as a game where we outplayed them or pretending that losing to Arsenal wasn't a trainwreck. The main problem though is that he's not blaming all players but some, meaning that there are plenty in the squad probably unsure whether he's referring to them and a bit pissed off at the thought he might be ranting about them not trying.

I have sympathy for the rest of Sherwood's comments, it can't be easy sitting in a job with a short contract and with everyone knowing that he'll be replaced in the summer. He might annoy me at times but deep down I do like him, he just has a lot to learn and I hope he does it another club rather than us.

20. Sir_Red

Sir_Red Well-Known Member

Your star chance was when you played them last weekend! And they won 1-nil! :mad:, would quite like the goons to have a season in the wilderness