1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Olympics

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Jager, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Jager

Jager Well-Known Member

I must say the closing ceremony is as boring as fook, I know they spent less money than London but think I'm going to bed instead as the BBC coverage is crap

2. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

On Semanya I was going to say the same last night but my laptop died. Silver and bronze athletes were never going to say anything for obvious reasons.

Sorry Valley, but when you're in that position maybe you can judge how to react. It must be a killer. Sharp was actually referring to the governing body - that was obvious - and Semanya is always in the firing line whatever happens. I saw nothing in the text of what Sharp said that could possibly result in your 'vile' label. That was completley unwarranted imo. Ill-advised with the timing maybe but that's as bad as it gets for me.

3. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

She said that Caster is light years ahead of the rest of the 800m runners. If that's the case she'd have obliterated the 800m record. She's been tested and verified scientifically as a female and the Court of Abritration overturned the ruling that she had to take testosterone suppressant medication. She had the right both legally and scientifically to compete and win the 800m race.

Should the woman who obliterated the 10,000m race be subjected to tests because of the way she smashed the world record?

Sharps timing of the comments were a disgrace imo when you consider that legally and scientifically, Caster had the right yo compete. If the runners felt that strongly against Caster and the other two running, why not boycott the event as they already knew they weren't getting a medal? That would have been a far more powerful message.

4. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

Boycotting the event would have been a massive insult to Semanya who, as you properly point out, had a right to compete. She cannot be blamed for the actions of the governing body. Sharp's comments were directed at that governing body but for some reason Valley you repeatedly are ignoring this important point. If Sharp's comments were meant to criticise Semanya there is no law against it and she could have confirmed it later. She has said quite the opposite in fact. On reflection, maybe it wasn't the best time to interview someone in those circumstances.

Semanya's right to compete was based on an obviously flawed decision that in my view was based on political correctness and human rights rather than science. Coming to the conclusion that testosterone doesn't affect female performance and recovery is laughable. Paula Radcliffe has agreed with that, pointing out that female dopers have always used it illegally for a reason - and she should know. You don't have to obliterate a world record to get an advantage.

I completely understand your argument and I think we can both agree there is no easy answer. There will be no winners whatever the outcome, but for my part whilst I admire Semanya a great deal, not only because she has had to overcome so many prejudices in her life, I also feel desperately sorry for female athletes competing against her - and others like her.

5. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

6. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Speedo have kicked Lochte into touch after his alleged robbery statement.

7. Jager

Jager Well-Known Member

His contract was up this year, they are not renewing it, he'll probably get some other company now

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  8. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Well done to Great Britain for a very prosperous Olympics .

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  9. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Did you lot win any medals? <whistle>

10. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Mostly the women .#^^*%#}%**

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.