1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Oldham game

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by greenhousmeadowman, Jan 22, 2017.

1. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

We started brightly but Oldham came into it and I thought shaded the first half. Then there was the disallowed goal (presumably for offside and the linesman was not sure if it was an own goal or not) but Freddie was in the right place in the second half where we dominated and looked fairly comfortable. Everyone put in a shift and seemed to know what they were doing but I would have Tote as my MOM - he is a real commanding presence at the back and Sadler is a good partner for him. If we get Grimmer and Dodds back fit we should be able to get something at Gillingham next week.

2. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

A really enjoyable game. We attacked right from the start and had several opportunities from shots and corners early on. Oldham did come back into it after 15 minutes but we were able to mop up their attacks bar one decent low cross that missed two of their attackers. The disallowed goal was an odd one, there was a lot of confusion over it and it took a few seconds for the lino to dispute the refs decision, a big call. It was deemed to be offside yet at one point the ref tapped his fore arm.
    In the second half Oldham started fairly well and Ngoo was a beast of a forward and one comical attack by him took three or four big tackles to deal with him. Shrewsbury seemed to improve over time and started making some opportunities. Oddly after the goal Hirst went for a change in formation by bringing El-Abd on for Tyler. I guess it was to bring on experience. Later on the new lad got his chance and looked confident with the ball and it was mentioned on the radio the similarity to Ryan Woods in terms of his ball playing ability.

The team looks so much more confident compared to autumn, it is amazing what a new manager and a sprinkling of players can do. Rodman looks likes good winger, Nsiala is an absolute rock at the back and Ladapo is a continual threat up front. Things are looking up.