1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Okay I'm beelin'.......

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

To be fair mate I had this feeling before the game still but just kept schtum.

2. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

I disn't notice him ignore the fans in the corner mate. Piss poor as you say.

3. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

With our squad we should be 10+ points clear by now at the very least.

4. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

Lascelles (£15m)
    Ritchie (£15m)
    Shelvey (£20m)
    Darlow (£10m)
    Gayle (£25m)
    Mitrovic (£10m)

That's about all our saleable assets.
    Don't forget some of the prices players have gone for recently......

5. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

Saw this article just now on 'fans'....

https://absolutenewcastle.co.uk/2017/02/02/at-what-point-do-fans-become-a-hindrance/

A fan, or fanatic, sometimes also called a supporter, is a person who is enthusiastically devoted to something or somebody, such as a band, a sports team. Support is described as giving encouragement to someone or something because you want him, her, or it to succeed.

Whilst we as a club might sell out 49,000+ tickets every match day, our atmosphere at home, is anything but electric. In fact, last night I had myself wondering if we were observing a 90 minute silence.

Luckily for me, I was sat in the Gallowgate corner. However, even then when you stand up to sing, you look around and people are staring at you. You shout at the ref, or the players, again people look at you bemused. How can a stadium that holds 54,000 be silent. Who is buying the tickets? People who want a day out?

Quite simply I’d rather people like that didn’t turn up. We used to have one voice and over time it has fragmented into silence. God forbid anyone in the Leazes stand, it must have been a dull game.

It’s known that this season we play better away from home, I can see why, away days are so much better than actually going to a home game, especially for someone like me who has to travel 600 miles to get to one. They are supported away from home, they are encouraged, they feel comfortable because 50,000 aren’t on their backs waiting for them to slip up. How is any player meant to feel encouraged at St James’ Park? If we don’t get an early lead you can cut the tension with a knife.

Quite simply, fans who turn up to St James’ Park at the minute are a hindrance to the team. Fans fighting with each other, refusing to sing, it is becoming toxic, and not helping a team that is currently struggling to find form. I wish those who turn up to just sit down and moan wouldn’t come. I’d sooner rather an attendance of 10,000 Geordies who are mad about their club and will support the team, than 50,000 silent ‘fans’.

Get behind the team and help push for promotion. Don’t get on their backs and panic, it will not help anyone. Especially the team.

6. Sheikh_of_Araby

Sheikh_of_Araby Well-Known Member

This.

I sit in the Leazes. If I even start to sing, stand up I get weird looks off people. Makes you uncomfortable. The ground is a morgue.

Captainchaos. and J. J. McClure like this.
  7. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

To be fair, save for the odd game, its been this way since we got rid of standing. I think its about 50/50. What we have lost is that ability we had to turn games where players were struggling to get going into wins by literally pumping confidence into them.

Nobody wants to keep harking back to the Keegan days and the old days, but the fact is the days I stood in the Gallowgate and Milburn Paddock were my best memories of being at the ground. Even the one of games here and there like Barca 3-2, Man U 5-0, Sunderland 5-1 could not compare. I know I always bring it up on these boards, but I'll never forget that Monday night game with Sheff Wed in the pouring rain with Mathies flying volley in a 4-2 win. It was electric. There were countless times we won games we shouldn't have by literally roaring the players into life. We used to concede and the biggest collective "come on" would go up. Now its all moans and groans.

I mean at the backend of last season when we were deep in ****, there was a real collective effort to help the team. There were some really good atmospheres. I remember thinking, "****ing hell, where have you been all season"

8. Somebodys pinched my sombrero

Somebodys pinched my sombrero Well-Known Member

Our home support this season has been shocking. Even when we went ahead last night after a minute, the ground was silent. Loads of people sit there waiting to be entertained. Get behind the team and they will respond better. Rafa must be thinking what the hell has he let himself in for. The Tottenham game last season, the crowd sang their hearts out and persuaded him to stay. People who sit there and continually moan boil my piss. Encourage ffs.

Roll on Wolves. Away support is very good.

Sheikh_of_Araby likes this.
  9. Rafa's Championship Party

Rafa's Championship Party Well-Known Member

Not really, those scabs will beat us and we have to listen to the awful commentary of Don Goodman (former mackem and Wolves players, who celebrates our players scoring own goals).

10. Sheikh_of_Araby

Safe standing needs to come in. The fans want it; football clubs know it; the authorities finally realise it. Rip the seats out of the lower leazes and Gallowgate as a start. I hate sitting down. Let people stand up ffs. Let them create an atmosphere.

As terrible as Hillsborough was, football stadia, stewarding, policing and safety is on another level. Capacities are strictly set and enforced together with safety certificates. Bring the noise back to St James and every other stadium in the country.

11. Sheikh_of_Araby

The problem is too many day trippers nowadays. Plus the stewards making people sit down. I want to stand up and ****ing shout and sing. Not sit down like I am at a ****ing cinema.

12. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Get a grip mate.

13. General Lee Speaking

The fans had given Perez **** and some of the better ones were trying to support him as he went off so maybe his confidence wasn't totally destroyed.

14. General Lee Speaking

I sit in the Strawberry corner and there's singing at least 75% of the time I'd say. It still feels like you are at a match. You should move mate. Plus you don't get **** hoyed on you from the away fans, nor can you hear much from them and I like the view from the Gallowgate looking up the slope of the pitch rather than down. To be honest, you can have my seat as I'm probably giving up my season ticket for various reasons.

15. General Lee Speaking

You are right about all seating killing the atmosphere, but bear in mind those rosy memories of 4-2 against Sheff Wed were during a very special era which is unlikely to return. The excitement under Keegan's reign was palpable and I doubt the atmosphere at matches before that era were quite as electric. I was too young to know what it was like in the 80s and before atmosphere-wise.

16. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Really? They're championship players mate

10 to 15 is nothing these days

It's the old 5-7 bracket

17. General Lee Speaking

You see, my experience at a home match is usually (but not always) totally different because there are people singing around me all the time. I can't hear the silence most of the time. I can see people trying to sing in the nearest part of the east stand and gallowgate stand too so get yourself as near as you can to the corner and tell your mates too.

18. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

First games I went to were in 1980-81 season when they were a mid-table Championship side and I was doing my Masters Degree at the University. We used to stand in the open stand at the Strawberry End and the atmosphere was great even though the football was generally nothing to marvel over. Everybody was into the game, chanting and singing and moving with the crowd. One of the staff in the department had a season ticket and got us extra seats in the Leazes side stand for the Exeter FA Cup game (they drew 1-1). Completely different atmosphere - a load of older blokes sat around moaning at what was going on on the pitch (just like now) Don't think its the seats that make the difference - its just who can afford to sit in them. I think now what most PL and Championship grounds have lost nowadays are the young lads (16-25ish) who used to go along as a group of mates who have been priced out of going.

Warmir Pouchov likes this.
  19. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

I'm going to say this

The fans know nothing about football

They only see specific moments, ignore everything else and blame the wrong people.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017