1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Official: Stoke City FC vs Hajduk Split

Discussion in 'Stoke City' started by Stoke City R.U.F.C., Jul 15, 2011.

1. Stoke City R.U.F.C.

Home leg on the 28th July

2. Stoke City R.U.F.C.

3. Marin Režić

hi from Split
    Yeah, our stadium is beautiful, has been named one of 20 most beautiful in the world, receiving around 35,000 people ;)

4. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

Hi Split fan

Welcome to the Stoke board. Could you tell us about what to expect from your side? Who are your best players?

I'm gutted I won't be able to go as the first leg is the eve of my brother's wedding so i'll be in London.

Probably the toughest draw we could've got. We really need to win the first leg by 2 or 3 goals and ideally with a clean sheet as we all know how dodgy we can be away. I just hope Pulis plays his best XI. Assuming we have no more signings (probably a safe bet!!) i'd hope we'd play this side:

Begovic

Wilkinson-Huth-Shawcross-Wilson

Pennant-Whelan-Whitehead(it'll be Delap though)-Etherington

Walters

Jones

5. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

cardiff fan here chaps :)

do you reckon pulis will go all out to win the trophie, or do you think he'll treat it like many managers treat the carling cup? personally i think if you pull off a few quality signings you could at least make the quarters!

6. Marin Režić

Firstly, we have a completely new team this season. Maybe one or two players will play for us from those who played last season. It is hard to say who is our best player, because even we have not seen our players in competitive matches. We brought seven new players, and trying to buy Josip Simunic, from Hoffenheim. There were several players on trial from the English championship, we do not know whether they will remain.

7. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

I think he will take it seriously. I think Pulis will wait and see what happens with this tie before expanding the squad too much. These games (to me) are in a way harder than what might be ahead in the group stages should we get there, as we won't be expected to do much in the group stages but these type of games against even the quality of Hajduk Split we will stand a realistic chance of progressing so there's more pressure in these games than there would be in the group stages.

8. Marin Režić

This year we celebrate 100 years since the establishment of the club.
    For 7 days, Barcelona comes in Split.
    type on youtube ˝Torcida Split ˝ or ˝100 godina Hajduk˝
    you will see an impressive videos from birthday celebrations ;)

9. Marin Režić

[video=youtube;wp_LpSfxIgw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp_LpSfxIgw&feature=related[/video]
    [video=youtube;vyKEft647TU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyKEft647TU[/video]
    [video=youtube;RVriICt4kpw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVriICt4kpw[/video]

impressive,ha?

10. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

Congratulations. It is our 150th anniversary in 2013 so maybe we'll be inviting Barcelona or Real Madrid over for a friendly or maybe against Notts County, who are the only Football League club who are older than us.

11. Marin Režić

yeah, I (we) know that ;)

12. Pottermouth 328

Pottermouth 328 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Stoke City page Marin <ok>
    A fabulous stadium you have there. I will of course be going too the home leg this month. Sadly, expense dosn't allow me to travel to Croatia.
    Really looking forward to seeing your'e team play and I wish you well Marin.
    Our team?
    Well, I was hoping for at least two or three new player's but with our current squad first 11 fit and playing. It's a tough draw for the "Potter's" Marin.
    Best wishes for the coming season. <cheers>

13. THe Mighty Huth Rocks

Stoke to win 5-2 on agg <ok>

14. Marin Režić

Something that you may be interested in.

Torcida is a fan group that supports Hajduk. Torcida is the oldest supporters group in Europe. We are probably the most loyal group of fans in the world.

But there's one problem. Torcida is very aggressive. They are not all aggressive, but there are plenty of fans who are on drugs, they are real problems. In the past 10 years, we received a fine from the UEFA after every European game. Last season we paid about 200000-300000 euros fine for fan riots.
    You can not compare the fans from Split with other supporters groups in Croatia. The difference is huge. Torcida creates the atmosphere from the South America (such as Boca Juniors or River Plate) and the entire Split and Dalmatia lives for Hajduk. If you mention the name of Dinamo Zagreb in Split, you will probably end up in hospital.
    We have a suspended sentence of UEFA, if we make a mess one more time, they will throw us out of European competition.
    I hope there will not be any problems with your fans from England, but knowing Torcida, it could be some troubles ....

Sorry if I wrote something wrong, I did not speak English perfectly :(

EDIT: derby against Dinamo
    [video=youtube;iPMKqUxBjUE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPMKqUxBjUE[/video]

100 years since the establishment
    [video=youtube;maLSFCOHH30]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maLSFCOHH30[/video]

15. Pottermouth 328

Pottermouth 328 Well-Known Member

Marin,
    Thank you for all the information you have posted..
    Problems with the Stoke fans, I honestly do not think so Marin. Not sure if you have ever heard the name of Port Vale F.C.?
    I went too school with many of their fans. They are only 3 miles or so away from Stoke City.
    I don't like them but, it sounds pretty serious over in Croatia..
    Do as the Stoke fans do Marin, support YOUR'E team it's ONLY Football, it's a real shame that it should cause many problems for you.

I am sure that, If any of your'e fans do come over too Stoke they will receive a warm and friendly welcome Marin. <ok>

16. kastelanac

kastelanac New Member

I wouldn't go that far, as Marin did about hooliganism in Split.
    Torcida is temper group, pretty much. And, there are idiots everywhere. And yes, we have pretty violent history! But, there is no reason for riot with English firms!!!
    That is my opinion!
    Anyway, the atmosphere on Poljud stadium will be hell! Especially if we get a good result in first leg. Than you guys can expect 33 000 of lunatics :emoticon-0102-bigsm

Hopefully, there won't be a riot, and Hajduk will win!!!!
    BTW you can expect maybe few thousand Hajduk fans in your town! It is expensive, so i am not sure how much guys will go there! Again, drinking competition will be much better than fists one :)

Cheers

P.S. second leg is August 4. Temperature is around 36 Celsius! Really hot. If you plan a trip to Split, come few days earlier and be a tourist. You can swim in clean and warm sea water!!! Meet beautiful girls.......

17. Marin Režić

I have never participated in a fight, and never will. But there are plenty of fans who go to the game drunk and drugged, they are real problems. They destroy the cities, fighting with the police ....

About Croatian Footbal
    Vice-president of Dinamo, Zdravko Mamic, is the mobster. Everyone hates him. Even Dinamo fans hate him. They boycotted their club for almost a year, they do not go to the games. He controls everything in the Croatia, the entire Croatian Football Federation.
    He decides who will be relegated from the league, and who will enter the first division
    He has 7 teams in the first league, and nobody can do anything to him.
    This season, his second club was supposed to drop out from the first division, but he decided that the club that won the second division, can not get into the first division. In this way, his second club survived in the first division.
    The club that won the second division last season, remains in the second division. Here is a chaos.
    Therefore, the whole Dalmatia hates Dinamo. We probably will not win the title as long as he is alive. As I said, if you mention the name of Dinamo Zagreb in Split, someone will send you straight to the hospital.

Now you know what the situation is in Croatian football

Greetings from Split :)

18. Stoke City R.U.F.C.

I really can't wait. Two proper clubs with brilliant fans going head to head. I can guarantee this will be louder than Wembley was (At both games!)

19. kastelanac

kastelanac New Member

Now, little bit about football (cos, this is about football?!)
    Hajduk played against English clubs in history and we never kick them out from the competition (Leeds, Tottenham). But, there is a first time for everything!
    Stoke players worth around 80 million euros, Hajduk players around 25! We use to be a great team, but in 70's and 80's. Today, we are pretty f.... far away from that!
    Our new coach is Krasimir Balakov, and I think that is the strongest part of Hajduk, with attackers. They are good and fast. Midfield is so so. Defense is the weakest, with lot of new players. We have 2 games before one on Britannia stadium (Croatian championship and friendly against Barca), and we will know more after that¨!
    But, we are all kind of optimistic. Can't wait for kick off...........
    At the end, this year Hajduk celebrate 100 years since foundation. The best present will (?) be a 4th round :)

20. Marin Režić

Also, you guys might find like the fact that Hajduk never eliminated an English team in European competitions. However, most of the encounters were close:

Cup Winners Cup 1967-68: 1st Rnd: HAJDUK-Tottenham 0:2 3:4

Cup Winners Cup 1971-72 : SEMI-FINAL: Leeds-HAJDUK 1:0 0:0

UEFA Cup 1978-79 : 2nd Rnd : HAJDUK-Arsenal 2:1 0:1

UEFA Cup 1983-84 : SEMI-FINAL: Hajduk-Tottenham 2:1 0:1

UEFA Cup 1991-92 : 1st Rnd : HAJDUK-Tottenham 1:0 0:2

UEFA Cup 2002-03: 1st Rnd: HAJDUK-Fulham 0:1 2:2 (we had 1:0 and 2:1 leads, and in the 90th min Inamoto cleared the ball off the line...)