1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

[Off Topic] Building a computer

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Privet, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Privet

Privet Member

hmmm cant gety my speakers to work with the front audio or the back one. (light green), got my broken headset to, but it only has sound in one ear.

MoBO has inbuilt sound card since i can hear my headphones from one ear, maybe i should install this Xonar 5.1 sound card tomorrow. Would that fix it?

2. Sylvain Marveaux

Might need to disable on board sound from within the BIOS

3. thedeludedfannymagnet

I had terrible sound problems to start with when i built my comp, it turned out i needed to wait for all the windows updates and then updated all the other drivers, it took a few days to sort out. You might need to install your sound card console so you can fiddle with the settings.

4. Privet

Privet Member

Some little crappy MP3 headphones work fine my speakers dont, I tried them in my PSP no sound there either, must of broken then somehow since saturday :S.

5. thedeludedfannymagnet

Have you installed your sound card yet? Before you do, it might be worth making a note of any serial/model numbers on it for future ref. Once in, you can try your speakers/headphones in that. It can be really frustrating at times trying to get the sound out of it.

6. thedeludedfannymagnet

7. Mattpridian

Mattpridian Member

Hey guys, been a while since I posted but wondered if anyone on this thread could help me since you all seem to know your shiiiiit.

I need to upgrade my pc for BF3...
    Currently have a Nvidia 9600gt which just doesnt cut the mustard no more!

I was wondering if anyone could help me figuring out if the GTX 470 would be compatible with my Motherboard (Microstar P31 Neo MS-7392) specs of which are here: (http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P31-Neo.html#/?div=Detail)

Basically will the card fit into the PCI express slot on this board cos unfortunately I dont have the money to buy the card and found out afterwards that it doesnt!

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give or sites you can point me to to ask this question. Never built a PC or anything before so im new to all this.

8. Cal.

Cal. Active Member

Better off getting an 560 Ti or HD 6950. The motherboard has the right slot, not sure if it will get the full power out of the card due to only being PCI-E 1.0a though. What PSU do you have and how much room in your case is there for the graphics card?

9. Privet

Privet Member

Should I overclock my CPU?

At idle my CPU at 30-35c but on my mobo bios i set it to max performance out the default settings so that should make it hotter than normal. I did the Prime 95 test Real Temp and got around 44-49 Average distance to TJmax with each CPU on 100% CPU load. I'm not sure what that means but I guess im around 40c away from dangerous temps?

10. Mattpridian

Mattpridian Member

So how big is this card? I might have to get a new case as well if its fairly hefty...

http://www.dabs.com/products/xfx-at...2gb-pci-express-2-1-x16-displayport-7N8B.html

My local computer shop is trying to sell me an MSI r6970 (http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R6790-2PM2D1GD5.html) for around £130 so is that other card worth the extra 70 quid?

My PSU is 700w so shd be ok, Q6600 Quad 2.4Ghz processor and 4G of ram (unfortunately the motherboard can only handle 4G or would be upgrading with some more ram too...)

Thanks for the response too!

11. Privet

Privet Member

It's certainly bigger than the 9600 gt thats what I had and now have the 560 ti, but my old case was smaller to and I reckon that had enough room for a 560ti. I'd say it's just a bit over 9 inches, i know this as I had my wang next to it.

From Nvidia website:

Standard Graphics Card Dimensions:
    Height 4.376 inches
    Length 9 inches
    Width Dual-Slot

Source: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-560ti-us.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.