1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

[Off Topic] Building a computer

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Privet, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Privet

Privet Member

Worth buying another 2 sticks of 4gb RAM? Or should I wait, will 8gb be enough for now?

2. Cal.

Cal. Active Member

8GB should be plenty, unless you're doing something extremely RAM intensive.

3. Sylvain Marveaux

This 8gb is more than enough

4. Privet

Privet Member

Gonna settle for the build you made then Sylvain + the fan Calaye posted for the CPU. Should settle for that and keep some money for myself. So thanks all :), but I have a bad feeling windows 7 on my own disc won't work :D.

I'll put the 64 bit Iso i downloaded on a dvd, i checked the hash and its windows legit, ill install it then use the loader off the DVD.

5. Sylvain Marveaux

Seems like you have done it right. Check the disk on another computer if you are worried.

6. Privet

Privet Member

I'll prob do it from this computer before anyway :).

7. Cal.

Cal. Active Member

If you're being a naughty pirate just be sure not to install windows update KB971033 and not to use automatic updates.

8. Sylvain Marveaux

That thing is annoying! However i believe they have a crack even if you install that update.

9. Privet

Privet Member

Will I have to keep finding cracks for every update :(?

10. Sylvain Marveaux

No, Microsoft has a certain update file that if you don't deselect it can screw up the crack. So make sure to set the Windows Update to "Manually Install"

http://i.imgur.com/Zgc2g.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Zesjq.jpg

11. Privet

Privet Member

It comes tomorrow, but I just tried to install FM12 from Disc on my current PC, and my dvd drive has an icon on it looking like a yellow triangle with '!' in the middle on device manager. I was going to use this drive to install windows etc I hope its not broken and will work in new pc :((.

"This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

Check for solutions did nothing.

12. Privet

Privet Member

I've built it, but for some reason it resets itself on first power up after first 5 seconds and i cant get any display on my monitors so i cant install anything.

13. Simply Marvealux

Sounds like a grounding issue. Do you get BIOS beep or any other beeps?

If no beeps you will have to check your motherboard support posts are positioned correctly and possible check your ram is seated correctly.

I'd reseat your ram then check support posts.

14. Sylvain Marveaux

You managed to fix it Privet?

15. Privet

Privet Member

Will i get bios beeps without speakers connected?

ATM there is a restart everytime on first boot up, then its stable after that.

And my monitor when not connected to pc it says no signal from cable, when it is connected it goes into power saver mode but it does this with PC being turned off anyway.

BTW when i installed the MoBo, i put 6 of the gold pins in the case and mounted MoBo on, was a bit hard to align it, in the corner where all the ports are. When I screwed it in, I put the red little disc things on top of MoBo or should it be on bottom? Didnt say in manual.
    Sorry for slow reply, had work and don't get much access to this laptop.

16. Cal.

Cal. Active Member

You get BIOS beeps if you connect the small speaker found with your motherboard. Speaking of motherboard, what motherboard do you have? The restart thing sounds like what my P8Z68-V does if I let it try to automatically overclock, it takes it a few times to find a bootable configuration.

17. Privet

Privet Member

I got P8Z68-V Pro or thats what it says on manual. When i put power to it, the power button on mobo is red, reset is green, red LED next to RAM is constantly red, and when i boot it the CPU LED in middle flashes red once.

Where do i find the speaker on it?

I really think the manuals suck :D for all parts they so basic and sometimes just show small pictures i can barely see whats going on.

18. overseasTOON

overseasTOON Active Member

Bought a new NAS server and intructions were:

1) Insert disk
    2) When blue light stops flashing (takes one minute approx) click next.
    3) Server light is a solid blue, click next

At step 3 the server light is amber... No further instructions!

Found out it needed a firmware update so updated it, ran the same instructions and... amber light again!

19. thedeludedfannymagnet

Great topic and some good advice, esp about the psu. I built my own gaming comp but spent a lot less money by shopping around on ebay/ebuyer and reading the advice sections on http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php? and a myriad of other sites:) I got a bit lucky when my 2 core amd unlocked to four core:) however the bottle neck i find at the moment is the wifi connection, i'm going to have a look at getting some form of hardwire installation cos wifi sux at times:(
    I also downloaded games booster 3 which turns off all unnecessary processes and even then go into task manager and turn off all the rubbish, don't bother installing all the usual rubbish from windows either, slows things right down.

You might find ure post beep problems here http://support.asus.com/Troubleshoo...=1&m=P8Z68-V PRO&s=39&hashedid=n/a&os=&no=978

Good luck.

20. Privet

Privet Member

Oh btw I got some free pins for chassis warning speaker on my MoBo, but I cant find anything to plug it into, could this be why I get no beeps? I had one called HD audio and one called Ac'97 but i connected the HD audio to AAFP pins which I think is right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.