1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off field investigation!

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Markthehorn, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Jsybarry

Jsybarry Well-Known Member

2. Chris 13

Chris 13 Well-Known Member

BUY TICKETS
    HORNETS SHOP
    JUNIOR HORNETS
    HOSPITALITY
    COMMUNITY

please log in to view this image

JOINT STATEMENT FROM GINO POZZO & SCOTT DUXBURY

Watford is a wonderful football club, deeply rooted in its community, and we are here to ensure its long-term well-being and prosperity. We share your pride at the progress the club has made over the past four years and we will not allow its name to be tarnished by the incident brought to light last week. Today the preliminary investigation from a firm of solicitors into that matter was completed and the findings will be sent to the EFL. We can assure every supporter the club acted with honesty, integrity and in good faith at every step and is not guilty of any wrongdoing and we are sure this will ultimately be recognised. The three key pillars of stability, sustainability and growth are just as important today as they were when we first met and spoke with Watford fans back in 2012. Since that time, with the backing of the supporters, we have built both a Premier League side and a stadium of which we can all be proud. More important is all the good work which goes on at the club every day, by each and every employee, supporter and members of the community. With your help, we aim to ensure this fine work continues to help build a club with a vibrant future. Thank you sincerely to all fans for their support over the past week, particularly the banner which preceded the Hull City kick-off at Vicarage Road this weekend. We would like to offer our heart-felt thanks for that. You have always been proud of your club – and rightly so. We will do everything we possibly can to ensure you continue to be proud of Watford FC and its achievements in the future. You can have absolute confidence and faith we will continue to drive the club forward with ambition, whilst always remembering what makes Watford a very special club for so many people. We note today that Raffaele Riva has stepped away from his position as Executive Chairman and we wish him well in his future endeavours. Scott Duxbury will now assume this role and be appointed Executive Chairman with immediate effect. With our kindest regards Gino Pozzo, Owner Scott Duxbury, CEO & Executive Chairman

3. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not a great deal has been said, but from the few comments I have read Riva was at the centre of this because of his connection with Mr X, and was going to take the rap for it. There has to be a distinction between the club and it's finances, and the worth of the owner. I find it odd that someone who is not exactly short of a few bob can find himself at the hub of a question about money at a club he wishes to see do well.

4. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  5. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Gone before being pushed and punished.

6. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

Whatever the rights and wrongs of this, that statement is framed in the language of marketeers and PR folk. If you try too hard to convince people, it does feel as though you're trying too hard. All I'm saying is, if I were entirely innocent I could have written a better account of distancing myself!

Mexican Hornet likes this.
  7. Hornette_TID

Hornette_TID Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

i thought the statement was a good one. Made me tingle!

andytoprankin likes this.
  8. Mexican Hornet

"Tingled with good PR = P(r)etty Rhetoric"

9. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

I take your point, Theo, but however framed it would probably be open to misconstruing given the events that prompted it.

I agree with H. I'm a big fan of the Pozzos and this statement, regarding its implied understanding that we are not the biggest club in the world, fits my idea of us.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  10. andytoprankin

Compare and contrast ;) how you would feel if this had happened under Messrs Ashton and Simpson. Or Bustini?

11. Chris 13

Chris 13 Well-Known Member

The difference is in the trust that has been built up.

12. andytoprankin

Quite right. They've earned that trust and loyalty from us ensued.

13. NZHorn

NZHorn Well-Known Member

Does anyone remember if there were suspended sanctions given to us regarding our future conduct when Baz was banned? I have some recollection that whilst Baz was convicted of activities unknown to the club, Watford were told to prevent his sort of behaviour happening again. This case is another example of poor business management systems at the club.

14. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Riva was employed to do a job. He didn't do it by: 1. entrusting a third party to do it for him and; 2. not verifying the work of the third party. He is outta here. Rightly so. There is the prospect of legal action by Riva against Mr X. It all depends on how much of a premature example the EFL wish to make of us and how long they are prepared to wait for the whole truth.

15. Mexican Hornet

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  16. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

I have a source (just trust me on the confidentiality here) that assures me that there was no wrongdoing by the club or our owners and we should not expect any sanction outside of being just plain vindictive. The responsible party is gone and I think we can expect to hear of action against this Mr X by our former chairman in due course. There is a personal (nothing to do with business) feud going on between certain individuals and Watford FC are caught as collateral damage. If common sense prevails then we should come away with no case to answer.

17. brian_66_usa

brian_66_usa Well-Known Member

Why is Mr X not named ?

18. hornethologist a.k.a. theo

hornethologist a.k.a. theo Well-Known Member

'Integrity' and 'trust me' are not phrases which inspire much trust!

19. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Except, of course, in the eyes of the Torygraph - who will dredge it up at various points in the future. :(

20. andytoprankin

But Fez does. :)