1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

o Gera....

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Gillyffc, May 22, 2011.

1. Gillyffc

Gillyffc Member

What happened? Unbelievable!
    I couldn't make it today, so any match comments would be much appreciated!
    One thought was- would this red from Gera put us below Blackpool in the fairplay spot?
    If it does that would probably be the worst send off for a player imaginable!

2. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

Radio 5 were saying that it very well might tip it in Blackpool's favour. If it does Gera deserves a slap for being so bloody silly.

3. frogman27

frogman27 Member

Has to be the worst send off for a player in recent history. Have not seen the tackle but I hope for him and all involved in the club that it does not cost us a European spot. Anyone any idea when the decision is made as to who gets the spot.

4. James_87

James_87 New Member

Collymore is reporting it as fact. A bit premature, seeing as cards aren't the only thing that will decide it...

Anyway, if we hang on to Hughes and he gets some money to spend, surely we won't be too far from challenging for qualification via the league? I fancy a cup next season, too.

5. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

My man came on to a great welcome when he came on and also support everytime he touched the ball. Then he was overzealous to get a ball right upfront not far from the Arsenal area, studs up, but no malice. Maybe red, maybe yellow, but the ref chose the latter and I can't argue. He got a good chant leaving, but it was quiet afterwards as people felt sorry for him and maybe thought our Europa League place had gone.

Fulham got a red and 2 yellows, while Blackpool got 1 yellow, but I'm not 100% certain about the Europa League spot being lost since there was some talk about the cut-off date and there may also other factors not just red & yellows.

Some very brief comments about the game - very much an end-of-season tie, with neither team being on top form. Arsenal were pushing the ball about for parts of the first half, but did not have the dynamism I expected from a team wanting to gain a place if Citee slipped-up. Fulham looked stronger in the second half as often happens at home. AJ was lively, Bobby and Steve Sidwell took their goals well. Greening worked really hard up and down, with some good crosses, including the cross for Bobby's goal; he also protected Briggs, who was then totally skinned by Walcott as a substitute, still worth doing rather than having Salcido, but it cost us the win. Hughes played right-back again and did ok (there was one chant for the absent JP). MS made one superb save from a free-kick outside the area.

6. dempsey's revenge

dempsey's revenge Active Member

It's funny how our normally well-behaved team has mysteriously come unglued in the last four games of the season, probably kissing goodbye its chance at Euro play. I smell a conspiracy. Hey, GeraScores, what's Hungarian for "go out there and get a red card in 3 minutes"?

I'm very disappointed with what happened today. I rarely get a chance to see Fulham play, and there was a very good chance Fulham would get over here to Germany or Belgium next year during the Euro Cup run and I'd get a chance to see them, but for whatever reason, the team, either deliberately or carelessly, binned its chance to play in Europe next year.

If Fulham are serious about hiring the likes of Jamie O'hara or Scott Parker, I'd say the team has shot itself in the foot. A chance to play in Europe is a draw for top-quality players.

7. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

There really does seem to be a misunderstanding of how the fair play league works.

If we miss out, it's not just because of that red card. There are 40 points available for each match, of which only a quarter relate to red/yellow cards. In this case, we lost 4 points today for the extra red & yellow. However, that is a small fraction of the overall position.

If we've missed out, it's due to losing out in the other categories as well.

EDIT: In conclusion, the fair play league is decided based on referee match reports rather than simple red/yellow card statistics. Ultimately it is a completely arbitrary decision by a Premiership official. It's an incredibly murky system.

8. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I can remember one season recently - it might have been the Sanchez/Hodgson survival season - when we almost nicked a fair play place off Manchester City on the last weekend. They had someone (Dunne? I think it was him) sent off, but still got the extra place. As Surly says, it's based on a lot more than just cards, and the table is based on average points, which makes it a lot less volatile to isolated incidents. I'd be more worried if Spurs had missed out, as they were neck and neck with us. The existing gap between us and Blackpool is probably enough for us to be all right.

The cut off point that GeraScores refers to was for deciding which nations finish in the top 3 of the European table, thereby gaining an extra place for one of their clubs. This table runs from 1st May to 30 April each year, hence England's extra place being confirmed before the last few games of the season. Each FA than applies its own timescale in allocating that place, so today's action does count.

I don't think there's a conspiracy - all the noises coming out of the club are saying they want to be in it and to take it seriously if we are. I think it's just been one of those things that we've seen a flurry of cards in the last few games. We'll probably find out this week (tomorrow?) whether it's cost us. I think we'll make it.

9. frogman27

frogman27 Member

Cheers Surly for that info. Am I right in saying that the last update of the table was up to the end of april. If so we have incurred quite a lot of cards since then. However, we are a well run club that is respected, and our general attitude to match officials during the game is pretty good. If it meant to be then great, another European would be so good, but if it is not then we will have to work harder nest season. As for a conspiracy, I don't think we would have to play in the Europa League if we did not want to. I am sure I read something about needing a licence that if not applied for means you forfeit your place.

Good luck to Zolly whereever his feet take him, he has been an amazing player for our club and will be welcomed every time he returns.

10. dempsey's revenge

If there's a conspiracy (which I honestly doubt), it's on the part of MH and the players. After Gera was sent off, even the Sky commentators made a few facetious off-the-cuff remarks along the lines of "boo hoo, there go our Europa Cup chances" ...

If this falls through, it's going to be heart breaking for me. Two years ago I drove four hours each way to see Fulham win in Basel, and was deliriously happy to do so. This year, Mainz, Hannover and Munich and possibly Freiburg (FairPlay) will make the Europa Cup. Liege is 1 1/2 hours away ... I'll take anything.

11. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

It was reported in the Daily Mail interview with Hughes a couple of weeks ago that he wasn't that keen on qualifying for the Europa League. Since then our card count has rocketed. It may be linked, it may not be. I'm wondering if Hughes thinks we don't have a big enough squad to do well in theleague and in Europe. There is no doubt our league place suffered due to our run last year. Even so, I would rather us be in Europe than not, so fingers crossed.

12. fulhamish1977

fulhamish1977 Member

I've just spent my coffee break trying to figure out how the fairplay table works. After 35 matches we were on 1180 and Blackpool on 1164. The only points that are awarded automatically are for Red & Yellow cards. Taking into account bookings & sendings off in the last three matches, I reckon Blackpool picked up nine more points than us, which narrows the gap to 1196 (Fulham) to 1189 (Blackpool). There are 90 other points awarded from those games, and we'll have lost up to 7 in the respect towards the referee category v Liverpool for Baird's gesture. Blackpool score highly for positive play, for obvious reasons, so it will come down to points awarded for the other categories. It's basically European qualification through bureaucracy! If I had to guess I'd say Blackpool will probably just nip ahead of us.

13. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

If you want a conspiracy theory, it's here that you could have fun. Basically the Premier League can arbitrarily decide the points they give with no accountability due to the murky system - if we get the spot, Blackpool could well be justified in thinking the Premier League fudged the numbers!

14. fulhamish1977

fulhamish1977 Member

Surylc - quite agree. Have to wonder how they score behaviour of officials and respect towards opposition. It's bizarre.

15. WhatDoesWoyWant?

On the way back home to Bristol last night from the game I was listening to TalkSport and Stan Collymore confirmed Blackpool got the last spot!! This was at about 6.30pm.

He was asking Blackpool fans how they fwelt about being relegated but in The Europa Leage qualifying...

16. WhatDoesWoyWant?

Sorrry James_87 you said that already^^^^

17. dempsey's revenge

I'm sad Blackpool didn't stayed up. I like the way they play, but I can't for the life of me imagine their small, tissue-thin squad adding an extra 20 or 30 games to their schedule next year. It's not easy for Fulham to manage that kind of workload, but imagine poor Blackpool giving it a go.

18. rocky57

rocky57 Member

Stan Collymore & conspiracy theories: is that the best we can do?

19. WhatDoesWoyWant?

Good call

20. frogman27

frogman27 Member

Rocky I am glad you said that, the day I take Stan Collymore's word as the truth is the day i stop loving football. Everything I have read so far on this subject suggests that the final decision will be made on friday. I reckon we are going to get it.