1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Now is the time ..........

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by GeminiSwiftgfc, Apr 28, 2011.

1. GeminiSwiftgfc

GeminiSwiftgfc Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

With our final home game of the season this weekend and the playlets within our grasp, now is the time for us to play our part. We all need to put any frustration, angst, anger, and what negativity to one side and get behind the club.

I have not been to as many games as I would have liked to, due to work and family commitments, but the games I have been to I have seen a very nervous, negative, frustrated crowd and I believe this have effected the players. Especially recently.

There has always been a symbiotic relationship between players and fans, very the players are playing well the fans are buoyant, happy, encouraging etc and vice versa. But when things aren't going right things can go down hill quickly. A player misplaces a pass and the fans get on his back, this makes him anxious, nervous and effectives the way he plays. Unfortunately there has been far too much of the later.

Priestfield used to be rocking from an hour before kickoff. The crowd used to fire the players up and the players would respond with performances we could cherish, if we conceded we used get even more fired up, even more behind the boys, now it's just negative, the crowd await the players to give us something to cheer and if a mistake is made the players are heckled and booed. It's not good.

I also spend more time reading forums than commenting on them and find that on here and other forums there is a mentality in mentality, in many, of just doom, gloom and expect the worse. Then when the worse happens people seem to have a smug "I told you so" kind of attitude. This upsets me greatly and is why I don't comment as much as I should. Because I just got bored of repeating myself.

I feel the frustrations and disappointments like everyone but even though we HAVE turned the season around from what was a truly poor start to the season. We HAVE a super chance of making the playoffs. We HAVE to get behind the boys on Saturday, encourage them, drive them on, encourage them, cheer them, SUPPORT them!

Forget what has come before. Think of what could be, a trip to Old Trafford. Promotion. Happiness, joy, laughter, a chance to play Charlton, Sheffield Wednesday and such.

It is time to stand up and be counted. Time to be the, to use a cliche, 12 man.
    It's time for us to take the lead.

UTG <ok>

2. CrockenhillGill

CrockenhillGill New Member

Agreed. A home game against Macclesfield wouldn't normally set the pulse racing, but this is different. It's a massive game and we all need to play our part and get behind Hessie and the lads. In particular, the Rainham Enders need to rise up out of their slumber and make some noise right from the start, not just in the second half.

3. brb

brb Guest

GeminiSwift - I agree, one of the things that is evident, such as against Barnet, is how quickly fans forget that we had been on a 16 game unbeaten run.

Yes, it was a diabolical display, however, fans leaving at least 20 minutes before the end, is not being in it together.

It was a bank holiday, people probably have better things to do then watch us get humiltated, is that really how fickle we have become as supporters?

For those that have been supporting the Gills, for many years now, will be fully aware, we are used to it, we pay our money, we make our choice and knowing the Gills who knows what team will turn up on the day - all I say is that we was staring at relegation a few games in to the season, so walking out is not the answer, stay, watch the team and get behind them to the very end.

4. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I always wonder how the "fans" can expect 100% from players, whilst not giving 100% them self.

it's a funny old game:emoticon-0104-surpr

5. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

Yeah that was one of our greatest runs ever, I am really sad it is over because I actually had all the belief it would last to the end.