1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Nottingham Forest appoint ex-England boss Steve McClaren as new manager

Discussion in 'Nottingham Forest' started by Not606 News Team, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Not606 News Team

Nottingham Forest have appointed former England coach Steve McClaren as their new manager on a three-year deal.

McClaren replaces former manager Billy Davies, who was sacked by Forest yesterday, the BBC reports.

The 50-year-old ex-Middlesbrough manager has been unemployed since his sacking by German outfit Wolfsburg in February.

He spent 16 months at the England helm from August 2006. Although his reign ended in disappointment he went onto enjoy a successfuly spell at Dutch side FC Twente, winning the Eredivisie title in 2010.

Forest chief executive Mark Arthur said: "The club moved quickly to secure his services as it is rare for a manager and coach of his undoubted calibre to become available

"Steve has a proven track record of coaching and managing at club level, having played a key role in helping Manchester United secure the Champions League trophy, three Premier League titles and an FA Cup.

"[He] guided Middlesbrough to the League Cup and also to the final of the UEFA Cup and led FC Twente to their first ever Dutch title.

"We are delighted to have him on board at the City Ground."

2. pilgrimoxford

pilgrimoxford New Member

Plymouth Fan in peace. I don't understand your board sacking Billy Davies but there are worse managers out there than Maclaren. Hope he does well for you!

3. KingslandSFC

KingslandSFC Active Member

Bit of a step down for Steve , no dis-respect to Forest!

So Forest Fans should be chuffed!

4. Tekkersaurus Rex

I feel sorry for you fans. If I was in your situation I would have Billy D any day of the week if the alternative was Shhhhteve McClaren! Good luck and I just hope he doesn't drag you down where you don't belong!

5. Spanish white

Spanish white Active Member

At least the Umbrella sales in the city will go up!!!!!

6. KingslandSFC

KingslandSFC Active Member

<laugh> ...and when its rains ...IT WILL POUR IN NOTTINGHAM! <laugh>

7. LeakyLeeds

LeakyLeeds Member

Billy Davies is a horrid nasty angry little man that couldn't manage a fart after a ten tins of beans. You should be glad that he has gone after financially raping your club. The only disappointment is you have brought in yet another man who can't manage a **** after a hot curry.

I like forest, being in Derby and being a Leeds fan I truly LOVE Forest. Derby have the most inbred and ignorant fans I have ever seen ever (and I'm from King's Lynn!!)

NO! What are you doing to your club? McLaren? Oh no! I give you my sincere condolences. I see Tyson has already run away from the prospect of working with him to Nearly-Clough. I hope you do ok next season and get promoted behind us. Once you have sacked Macca (by December?).

Having said that if we don't have a flying start then Papa Smurf will probably have gotten rid of SG too.

Have as good a season as you can. Drawling Yorkshire based excuses this year instead of angry Napoleon-Syndrome Scotts based rantings. At least that's a change.

LL

8. stopthepress

stopthepress Member

Good move. Davies was small time.

9. SPURSTILIDIE

SPURSTILIDIE New Member

Good luck you'll need it

10. ooosh

ooosh New Member

Steve McClaren is a very good manager made to look bad by a very average England side.

Forest will do well under him.

11. Munstertoon

Munstertoon Member

This.

Look at Boro since S Mc left. As for England, the World Cup, plus recent displays show that Merlin the Magician couldn't make anything from this squad of overpriced, overpaid, overrated nancy boys.

12. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

capello, someone who is a world class club manager, has also shown england to be average by top 10 standards. no matter what the england manager is, that wont change.

but anyway, its a coup for forest no doubt, a step down for mcclaren yes (with regards to being in the running for the villa job), but still, i'd imagine he will get a big bonus for promotion, so it could be worth his while.

good luck with shteeeve <ok>

13. benni_g

benni_g New Member

Got to say I think this is a disaster for us. Dont get blinded by the fact he got the England job, Middlesborough fans were delighted when he left the club (in similar circumstances to David Platt leaving us). In Billy Davies we had our best managed since Frank Clark, arguably one the best manangers in our history?! For England he was an absolute joke, anybody who puts Scott Carson in goal doesnt have a clue, he is a yes man which is why he got the job and Sir Brian Clough never did.

Can only hope that I am proved wrong, and at least we have received lots of national media attention, however I feel this will continue for the wrong reasons next season.

14. trickytree29

trickytree29 Member

I think this is a bad move for us, I know a lot of people (especially fans of other teams) did not like Billy but look at where we are now compared to where we were when Billy took over. 3 seasons ago it looked like we were heading back to league 1 (I'm sure all Forest and Leeds fans would agree with me when I say its Football Hell) , fast forward six months and he has comfortably saved us from the drop. Next season is a complete turn around at the club and we start putting back to back wins together, something that had been missing for sometime. We finish third and end up collapsing in the play offs. Most fans are dissapointed not to finish the job but start finally believing that we have turned a corner and are on the up again. This season Billy continues the good work and were soon nearing the top of the league, we have a wobble nearing the end of the season but put a few last minute results together and end up in the playoffs again. The rest is history as we all know but I for one feel there was a hell of an improvement in our playoff games especially the last one. I can't help but think if Billy had been given one more year he might have got us promoted. As for McClaren? I don't think he is the right man for the job, I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.