1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread Not606 2016 Japanese Grand Prix Chat and Predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by taeleon, Oct 3, 2016.

?

Take your pick for the number 1 spot this weekend:

Poll closed Oct 9, 2016.
  1. Nico Rosberg

23.5%
  2. Lewis Hamilton

64.7%
  3. Daniel Ricciardo

5.9%
  4. Kimi Raikkonen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sebastian Vettel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Max Verstappen

5.9%
  7. Valtteri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sergio Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Nico Hulkenberg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other, please state in bold in the thread.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

He's delivered far more good press than bad press, so I'd think they'd barely bat and eyelid to be honest. If he was up to something heinous they might be concerned, but this is just a spat. Given their lack of TV time while Merc are out front, they may even relish a bit of extra brand representation, even though it is a bit absurd.

2. Sportista

Sportista Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure they'll sit him down before Austin and remind him of what is already written into his contract, with regards to maintaining a professional standard, fulfilling his media duties etc. and everything will be back to normal again.

Smithers likes this.
  3. SgtBhaji

Yeah, probably... and possibly rightly. Not sure there will be much rumblings from sponsors but the team will want to maintain their clean image.

Here's the thing though, we want characters in the sport and not robots, because that's a bit dull. So where do we draw the line? I'm not saying Hamilton was right, because he came off as a bit of a prat, but we all mostly complain when drivers have to tow the team line, so it's a bit of a dilemma.

4. SgtBhaji

Can we just have Senna, Prost, Piquet and Mansell back? :D

5. Sportista

Sportista Well-Known Member

I think we've gone a long way from the original meltdown point, because I don't think we (as fans) are drawing any line here, particularly.

This isn't about "character" - i.e. Choosing to say what you believe rather than give some "sound bite" or "party line" answer. This is pressure created behaviour - it's just an outburst. That is unless Hamilton really thinks that the best way to change the press conference format is to turn up after 9 years, mess about with his phone and give one word answers and think that's a "super cool" outcome.

Hamilton cried "sabotage" (at least sort of) and then handled the inevitable follow ups really badly and then decided he wouldn't talk to the press any more because of their reaction to that. If all the drivers did that pretty soon we'd be hearing from no one.

Your comment about older drivers, may be very apt. Back then things used to just blow over rather than escalate as they have here. It's a good job we have Lauda still around to give Hamilton a kick (in the foot perhaps!) and encourage him to grow up and take his medicine.

Out of interest, in writing this I realised I'm not aware of which articles offended Hamilton so badly? Does anyone have links to the worst examples, how bad are they?

6. SgtBhaji

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. There were a few that were acting like he'd shat on the Queens lawn or something, but I'm not sure which one sent him in to full on Jose Mourinho mode.

Going back to the characters bit... I think most of us are guilty of some level of criticism when drivers (not just Hamilton) have an outburst or act sulky after a bad race. Sometimes emotions are running high and what they say might be complete lunacy in the cold light of day, but with digital media we're able to pile on them instantly and within minutes there are more articles than you can shake a stick at. There's no wonder we wind up with PR robots.

It's kind of funny how it works with racing over here. We still get post race driver rants but they've got to get all the sponsors names in before they do. :D

7. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

According to AMuS Max is getting quite a list of detractors for his driving in this race.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...spurwechsel-mehr-auf-der-bremse-11576626.html

I won't quote anything since it's google translated so probably a bit off, but apparently in the drivers briefing Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso, Raikkonen, Button, Hulkenberg and Grosjean all spoke against the way he moves in the braking zone and want a rule created to penalise it.

8. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The irony is that his move against Lewis was the lesser (by far) of all the incidents so far!

9. taeleon

taeleon Well-Known Member

10. Smithers

Forum Moderator

I think this is going to open up a can of worms, more "interpretation".....

taeleon likes this.

11. SgtBhaji

Yeah, because that's just what the F1 rules need.... some more ambiguity. :p

12. Julius Caesar

Forum Moderator

I have some sympathy there. It's not easy to write black and white regulations for racing but at the same time we clearly need some, else drivers like Max would be weaving all over the place. Lets just hope it's applied by stewards who know what they're doing.

I do think though that it's right to clamp down on that kind of defending, so good on the FIA for moving quickly and doing the right thing (put that statement in the history books!)

13. SgtBhaji

I thought there were already rules in place for this though. Or did I miss something?

14. Julius Caesar

Forum Moderator

The clampdown will come from two old regulations. Both of them vague enough to apply to any defending that the FIA decide they want to ban. Which isn't an issue for me so long as it's fine by the drivers and announced beforehand.

I can't think of an occasion previously where a driver has been penalised for moving in the breaking zone. Usually only for moving more than once. So yes and no?

15. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Perez/Massa Canada?

EternalMSC likes this.