1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread Not606 2016 Austrian Grand Prix Chat and Predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by EternalMSC, Jun 21, 2016.

?

Who Will Crack Open a Well Deserved Cool Beer Over The Österreich

Poll closed Jul 2, 2016.
  1. Nico Rosberg

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. Lewis Hamilton

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. Sebastian Vettel

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  4. Kimi Raikkonen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Daniel Ricciardo

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Max Verstappen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Valtteri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Sergio Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Felipe Massa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other: Please State In Bold

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

The point is that there is a huge amount of space in which Rosberg can make the corner. Hamilton is required to give him a car's width and he's given him, what three?

Rosberg didn't make the corner because he didn't turn the round spokey thing in front of him with the buttons & dials and stuff.

If he had brake problems, then it's up to him to drive the car in a manner that takes them into account, but in truth that's got nothing to do with it. If you watch Rosberg's onboard camera feed, there's a negligible speed difference between the two: it's not as if Rosberg was going into the corner carrying a lot of excess speed. It's not couldn't make the turn but wouldn't make the turn.

2. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If in doubt just blame Hamilton. Then get told off for being to lenient with your blame. Then the cycle continues as the irony buzzer goes into overload.

It's a fun thing to watch

3. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

AP Photo/Geert Vanden Wijngaert
    Mercedes teammates Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton have a long history of incidents between them, even before Sunday's last-lap collision at the Austrian Grand Prix.

Here are just some of the previous incidents between the two:

May 2014 -- In qualifying for the Monaco GP, Rosberg's bizarre mistake robs Hamilton of a chance to go for pole and Rosberg wins the race the next day.

July 2014 -- Hamilton ignores team orders to let Rosberg pass at the Hungarian GP.

August 2014 -- Hamilton alleges Rosberg deliberately crashed into him at the Belgian GP.

October 2015 -- Hamilton forces pole-sitter Rosberg off the track at the U.S. race as he goes on to win the world title.

May 2016 -- The two collide at the Spanish GP as Hamilton tries to overtake Rosberg shortly after the start.

June 2016 -- Hamilton forces Rosberg off the track at the Canadian GP as they seek to catch Sebastian Vettel at the first turn, later wins the race, while Rosberg drops to fifth.

4. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

Makes Senna/Prost look like a spat between rank amateurs <whistle>

5. Sportista

Sportista Well-Known Member

With all the fuss over the last lap move I think it's been overlooked that this is one of the first times the driver's tyre selection rules have had an effect on the race. Having brought only 1 set of the soft tyres, Rosberg had was left vulnerable in the last stint.

On the subject of tyres have Pirelli come up with an excuse for Vettel's failure yet?

DHCanary likes this.
  6. dhel

dhel Well-Known Member

This should tell the story. There is no mistake..that looks blatant to me.

7. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Agree. This one falls squarely at the feet of Rosberg. It's a blatant one and he made sure that contact was inevitable.

The problem is people get wound up by the Briish media and the fact we didn't focus on Lewis aggressively passing/defending at the likes of Austin 15 etc etc so they let that cloud their judgment on this one and start thinking there is a conspiracy. Don't think because Sky and the casual Union Jack wavers think Lewis walks on water that other fans don't also question some of his moves. The difference for me is that he hasn't blatantly risked taking someone out- he fights hard and is committed but he isn't a calculated guy.

Personally- I think this makes for a fantastic battle now. Rosberg has now shown that his putting his balls on the line and not rolling over. Toto can cry all he wants about the 200 people they work for but the reason they are in this job is because the fans put up the $$$ to watch RACING and interest to make this commercially viable and that is why F1 exists.

If they can't accept that they need to try a different form of racing. Two drivers in a great car should be going hammer and nails.

The crazy thing is that with better reliability and strategy calls, Vettel would have been primed to capitalise, a bit like 2007 Kimi! Can he somehow get on their coat tails?

Next stop, Silverstone. If they collide here I think Toto will be slapping them all around Brackley!

dhel and BrightLampShade like this.
  8. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

where is the rule written that you must take a racing line every time? where is the rule written that you must put you inside wheel on the inside kerb? These rules are NOWHERE, the rule is racing with two wheels inside the white line, and not foprcing someone off the track. How can Rosberg be forcing Hamilton off the track or causing a collision by squeezing if Hamilton has ALL FOUR WHEELS inside the line? He's got more room than Vettel had v Webber in Turkey, more room than Rosberg was given in Spa,
    which way did you call all those incidents again, who did you blame again?
    Hypocrites

9. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So to take it to it's logical extension, every time you're on the outside of somebody going into a corner, should you just run straight on because there's no guarantee that the inside driver will turn in?

Smithers likes this.
  10. taeleon

taeleon Well-Known Member

This isn't Dodgems though. There is a point on the track you're expected to turn and Nico went beyond that point to deliberatly stop Lewis from turning. Lewis went further than the optimal point to make sure there was room but as Nico went beyond that they still made contact.

What Lewis does is run his opposition out of road on the exit, as do a few other drivers. Whether you agree with it or not, it's deemed a fair defence. Hard but fair. As I said in a previous post, these incidents are often very hard to call as they are so borderline which is likely why Lewis doesn't seem to get punished as much as you'd like. Perhaps the FIA should introduce a rule that states you must give an attacking car a car's width at all times no matter how much is along side you as allsaintchris mentioned in post #276 but until then it's considered hard but fair.

When Lewis does this his opposition can usually see the outcome and have the choice to back out, take to the grass or make contact. Lewis didn't really have that option on Sunday, as I said, he went further than he normally would have in anticipation of Nico being there but there is a point where you have to trust the other car has turned and Nico just didn't do that. It's not like you can really do an over the shoulder blind spot check in an F1 car, they aren't really built for that.

If Nico wants to get back at Lewis he should do the same as he does. When defending run him out of road on the exit. If Lewis doesn't give up and makes contact then it is his fault not Nico's. He just isn't smart about giving Lewis a taste of his own medicine.

I get what you're saying, I really do but you're not even grasping at straws with this one, it's more like grasping at air. Virtually everyone has agreed this is Nico's fault and Nico went over the line with this move. You're one of very very few people I have seen who can still put any blame at Lewis' feet and oddly enough the thing you all have in common is you hate Lewis Hamilton.

Can I make a suggestion to you? Stop watching F1 while Lewis is racing. Come back when he has retired as you clearly hate him far more than is healthy or normal. You let anything Lewis related get to you far too much. =/

11. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Whilst not acceptable effectively true (up to the one car width rule I suppose) - and that is what Lewis has subtly done to Nico whenever he's been on the outside. Nico had the right to turn whenever he wanted, however intentionally aiming at another driver is a different discussion.

Anyway, probably a little insight into what's festering.....

12. taeleon

I get he wasn't happy with his performance but that's just childish behaviour. Though I'm not sure how this benefits Mercedes (Lauda saying this stuff?). Toto does a good job of trying to keep things internal and nautral and then Lauda just blurts it all out lol. Though good for us to see what is going on behind the scenes. :)

13. notDistantGreen

So subtly slanted a post that a billiard ball wouldn't roll down it.

14. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

and there you have it, this is what Hamilton forces other people to do and it's all fine and dandy, but now someone else has done the same, suddenly everyone's view is about face and it's a dirty move. Rosberg hasn't aimed his car at Lewis, it's the other way around, there's still track there, but H.amilton wanted the bit Rosberg was on. Exactly the same thing happened a few laps earlier, can't remember which 2 drivers it was, no ne got penalised for it and I don't hear anyone saying anything about that, why? because the driver on the outside didn't turn in.
    And if you drive on and don;t leave a cars width then you're guilty of crowding, but Rosberg left MORE than a cars width, as is clear from the photo.

15. notDistantGreen

Umm yes but he's still at a 90 degree angle to the kerb. Where was he going? Prague?

16. taeleon

So the fact that on board footage shows he doesn’t even attempt to make the corner properly thus causing the collision, as well as people who know F1 through being a driver in it all agree the footage also show this, the fact that on top of this the stewards also saw fit to penalise Nico for both driving with a damaged car and not allowing Lewis to make the corner fairly as well as pretty much every one unanimously agreeing this is Nico’s fault with the exception of a handful of people all mean nothing to you then?

To quote one of my favourite films: “David: Tell me Michael, how could a billion Chinese people be wrong?”

I don’t know how many times people have to tell you, we’re not saying what Lewis does is right or perfect but it IS different. You’re comparing apples and pears here Miggins.

17. moreinjuredthanowen

here's what i don't get.

this is great for the show...

why are people so whiny like wolff... he's a right whiner.

Lewis Hamilton is prob delighted cos he proved he's got the pace on rosberg to get pole and he's proved rosbergs under such pressure he'll try anything to stop lewis passing.

Then there's no meek surrender out of Rosberg which makes for a great championship... for ONCE!

dhel likes this.
  18. notDistantGreen

Cars in the barrier don't sell Mercedes. Ve need nice orderly 1-2 finishes, danke.

DHCanary likes this.
  19. taeleon

So long as they still win the championship (which they should do) the odd car in the barrier or touch on track gives them so much media attention though. Even bad publicity is still publicity! XD

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  20. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I suppose Hamilton and Rosberg should rein it in if they want to be considered greats.

After all the two greats of the modern era, Senna and Schumacher, were renowned for their conservative driving and gentlemanly behaviour around other cars.

Heck Senna was adored for never purposely ramming cars off at 150+

True story

dhel and taeleon like this.