1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Not sure if this will be viewed, but you've got a great player in Danny Guthrie

Discussion in 'Reading' started by Darth Tash, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Darth Tash

Darth Tash Well-Known Member

Great on the ball, good passing ability, canny in defense also.

2. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Oh Tash I was just about to come and post something similar. I think his role for Newcastle last year was underplayed, he was great for us pretty much every time he was called on and covered DM and AM roles. Always gives 100% and left for all the right reasons (wanted first team football, rather than more money).

Best of luck to him as he deserves a club where he gets to play regularly and he's a solid premiership quality player. Which given that he's mid-20's and English I'm suprised he wasn't chased by more clubs.

3. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

As a Reading fan I have to say I don't know too much about Guthrie.

With all the hype surrounding our new owner, and the money he's, allegedly, made available to McDermott, I'b been underwhelmed so far with the names of players we're supposed to be interested in. Two free transfers in so far!

But nice to hear some positive comments abou Guthrie from people who know him. Heres hoping he does the same for us.

Cheers

4. Tilehurstsouthbank

From what I've seen of him for the Mags he's looked very good. I'd have been chuffed if we had to pay a few Million for him. To get him on a free is fantastic!

5. Agent Bruce

Agent Bruce Well-Known Member

He'll do a good job for you that's for sure. He's a bit underated but you'll see for yourselves what he's got in him, I'm sure you'll be pleased with him.

6. daib0

daib0 Well-Known Member

According to local reporter Jonnie Fordham, he thinks he's got it in him to get to the England squad - can't complain at raw ambition.

7. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

From what we saw of the England squad I don't doubt there's the possibility. Though it says more about England than Guthrie, good player though he is.

8. daib0

daib0 Well-Known Member

OK, too early to say, let's see how it pans out haslam ...

9. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Well so far Guthrie isn't living up to the hype is he.

10. Tilehurstsouthbank

Got his first start yeasterday and looked very good. Nice to see the Manager singing his praises after the game to despite their previous bust up.

11. Owlish52

Owlish52 New Member

No, but he has not had much of a chance so far. I am honestly hopeful that that has changed and that he will get his opportunity to show his abilities, as I believe that much of that build-up was appropriate and deserved. We will see if he is able to win those opportunities and make the most of them when he does. The 'good Danny' we've heard so much about is in clear need at Reading just now, and if he can demonstrate those abilities, he'll find strong support from the Reading FC fans.

12. daib0

daib0 Well-Known Member

Given that midfield seems where our woes lay, then perhaps Guthrie's got it in him to make the centre of the park work/click for us ...

13. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

In answer to the original post of this thread. I doubt we'll ever know how good Guthrie is because he appears to have fallen out with our manager. There are several players in our team who haven't cut it all season, the premiership is proving too much for them.

Despite this, our tactical genius of a manager still see's fit to play them over potential match winners like Guthrie.

It seems if you fall out with McDermott, its off to the naughty step you go, and I think Guthrie's bum must have blisters on it by now because he seems to have spent so much time sitting there. It is a pathetic situation which doesn't appear to be getting any better.