1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Norwich on Saturday

Discussion in 'Wigan' started by HP Sauce, Mar 29, 2013.

1. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

International breaks. We hate them. Haven't had a win after an international break - forever, it seems like. Fourteen of our first team squad away this last week, are we set fair for another defeat? Thankfully no injuries - so apart from Miyachi, Watson and Crusat we're back to a full strength squad for the run in and the semi-final.

If it weren't for the break I'd be completely confident of taking three points off Norwich. Even with the break it's a must win game for us. Over on the NCFC board there is almost complete optimism about this game (canary coloured glasses) which does tend to be when we get our best results. We heart complacency in opposition.

We beat Newcastle when they were proper pumped up to do us after *that* tackle. Don't see what NCFC imagine bringing that is going to make them more of a challenge than NUFC were in that game.

All things being equal, three points. Curse of the International break? God help us.

2. I_Clean_holtys_boots

I_Clean_holtys_boots Active Member

There isn't huge optimism atall on our board, were hoping we dont lose is the general thought of our fans and we are very difficult to break down.

Depends at which way you look at our current record really, 1 win in 13 or 1 defeat (away at man u) in 7 with 5 draws and 3 clean sheets! Nerves are/were starting to creep in to some fans but the signing of RvW has made a huge boost to the fans and club as a whole so it wont be easy going for you guys i would imagine BUT they're is never an easy game against you either especially at this time of year. I expect another draw <ok>

3. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

I think that this International Break hoodoo has to be broken and so I'd take a point too. But if we can win, we proper put Villa back in it, and for that reason I hope the lads give it their all.

And I do think there is a lot of optimism on the Norwich boards Holty, not a single prediction of a defeat. I mean, you're coming to Wigan who are what, five wins out of the previous seven in all competitions, and not a single Norwich supporter thinks that you're likely to get beat?

4. I_Clean_holtys_boots

Will be honest, I wouldn't be suprised if we lose cause the way hughton sets up is to not be beaten and if you score 1st then we will struggle to get back in it as we can't score for toffee. I think the reason why so many think we can win is cause teams have been struggling to beat us and at some point we will get 3 points for our efforts plus the feel good factor boost from van wolfswinkels signing. We only have one win away this season though and thats why I find it hard to see how we can win unless you have a complete off day.

5. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

Yeah, and we've been worse at home than we have on our travels. Plus we can struggle to break down teams who set up defensively. But this is such a huge game for us. Like all teams facing relegation we'll target certain games for three points - and this is right at the top of the list.

Couple hours to go - we'll soon know one way or the other eh!

6. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

you were spot on Holty. Your lot set up not to get beaten, and we had an off day. Lucky to be on the right side of a 1-0, but 0-0 looked by far the most likely outcome.

7. I_Clean_holtys_boots

This is exactly why we only have ONE win in FOURTEEN! We should have been safe weeks ago but hughton has decided to go down this horrible defensive route <doh>

We are without doubt in BIG trouble if we dont get a win next weekend, and good luck to you guys in trying to stay up and hopefully we will be locking horns again next season <ok>

8. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

Nah Holty, don't think you're in trouble. You've got a good run in, and 34 points on the board already. Sunderland, Villa and us have a tougher next few weeks. I notice on the QPR board that they are still thinking in terms of getting out of trouble, but it's really hard to see how they can come from 23 points and seven points off the pace, to safety. Not impossible - but we have the chance to put them to the sword next weekend. I fancy us to do them. They're making the mistake of thinking that Wigan are a shoo in, and looking at their games after us to see where other points will come from. They'll find us more of a handful than they imagine.

So glad to get that international break hoodoo gone. We were awful today. We'll be a different proposition next weekend.