1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City v Wolverhampton Wanderers

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Jan 20, 2017.

1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Round 27

Norwich City 3 - 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers
    FT

HT 1 - 0​
    Attendance: 26,300
    Date: Saturday 21st January 2017
    Venue: Carrow Road
    Kick-Off: 03:00PM

Referee: David Coote
    Assistant Referees: Nick Hopton & Robert Hyde
    Fourth Official: Nicholas Kinseley

KIO’s not606 Match Preview

Tomorrow Ex City boss Paul Lambert brings his Wanderers side to Carrow Road in Round 27 of the Sky Bet EFL Championship season hoping to maintain his 100% winning record at the home of his former club since leaving for Aston Villa in 2012.

In their last league fixture Norwich were beaten 2-1 by rock bottom Rotherham United at the Aesseal New York Stadium, a result that heaps even more pressure on beleaguered Canaries manager Alex Neil. With automatic promotion now realistically unattainable, City’s only hope of a swift return to the promised land that is the Premier League is once again via the play-offs.

Nelson Oliveira saw Red against the Millers

Eight points now separate the Canaries and Sheffield Wednesday in 6th spot so anything less than a win tomorrow could even mean an appearance in the end of season lottery is out of reach.
    In team news Nelson Oliveira serves the second of his 3 game ban for his red card against the Millers, while Jonny Howson, Graham Dorrans, Louis Thompson and the luckless Matt Jarvis are still sidelined through injury.

Although Wolves are currently 16th in the league standings they arrive in a rich vein of form. Paul Lambert has brought ‘new manager bounce’ with him to the Molineux his side having lost only once in their last five. Last time out Wolves were one-nil victors over Lambert’s former club Aston Villa, this coming after a 2-0 away win at Premier League Stoke City in Round 3 of the FA Cup.

Paul Mason fires home the winner for Wolves against Aston Villa

Andreus Weimann now reunited with his former boss could make his debut for the Wolves after his midweek loan move from Derby County.
    Youngster Connor Ronan is back in training after an ankle injury but this game has probably come too soon for him so he is unlikely to feature.
    Midfielder Romain Saiss is away with Morocco at the African Cup of Nations, as is Norwich’s Youssouf Mulumbu.

Alex Neil’s Match Preview

Alex Neil gives his thoughts on tomorrow's game

"It's an important game for everyone,"

"We were hoping after the Derby performance that we would then kick on. Unfortunately getting a man sent off in the Rotherham game didn't help us.”

"This is an opportunity now where we need to go and react and respond. The result is more important than the performance in this one.”

"The performances at home have been good of late, in particular the Derby one which was excellent. We need to try and build on that."

On Paul Lambert:

"He's brought an element of freshness to it. He's made changes in personnel too; certain players who were playing at the start of the season are now not playing.”

"They're quite direct in their methods. They get the ball forward, they get it wide and into the box. They commit men forward.”

"They've had a few high scoring games - it could be an open match. Hopefully we can score a few going forward and keep them out at the other end."

Paul Lambert’s Match Preview

Paul Lambert's match preview

"I’m really looking forward to going down, it’s the first time in a few years.”

"What we did there was extraordinary. I’m looking forward to seeing some friendly faces that have been really good to me.”

"Alan Irvine is there too who I worked with at Blackburn. Alex Neil is someone I don’t know.”

"It’s the nature of the beast. I’m probably a bit older than Alec, but I don’t know the guy.”

"I’ve got respect (for him) but I have to concentrate on Wolves.”

"We had three incredible years – it’s hard to explain what it was like.”

"It’s a great club, there are great people there, (deputy chairman) Michael Foulger, people like that, they are still at the club.”

"And Delia’s mum! She’s 97 and she was brilliant when I was there.”

"We go down to play a good team. Okay they’re under severe pressure, because I think Norwich should be at least in the top three with the resources they’ve got and the players they’ve got.”

"There seems to be things maybe not so happy there.”

"I know it’ll be difficult and things can go against us. But we go there with so much confidence."

Current Form (most recent first)

Norwich City

LLDWD

Wolverhampton Wanderers

WWDLW

NORWICH HOME

Norwich have won 50%, drawn 15% and lost 35% of their last 20 home games.

In their last 20 home games against teams positioned in the top half of the table, Norwich have won 4, drawn 5 and lost 11 of these matches.

In their last 20 home games against teams positioned above them in the table, Norwich have won 4, drawn 5 and lost 11 of these matches.

WOLVERHAMPTON AWAY

Wolves have won 25%, drawn 35% and lost 40% of their last 20 away games.

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned in the top half of the table, Wolves have won 4, drawn 5 and lost 11 of these matches.

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned below them in the table, Wolves have won 8, drawn 7 and lost 5 of these matches.

TEAM STATISTICS www.kickoff.co.uk

Match History

In truth the Canaries have a dreadful record against their opponents tomorrow having lost 29 of the 56 competitive games between the two.

With Wolves plying their trade in the top flight for most of their history prior to the 1960s the two sides didn’t meet until 2nd October 1965 in a League Division Two fixture at Carrow Road, the match resulted in a convincing 3-0 win for the visitors.

In total City have played Wolves 27 times at Carrow Road and have beaten them on just 10 occasions, Wolves winning 9 and 8 games finishing in a stalemate.

In 29 matches at the Molineux Wolves have won 20 times and there have been 7 drawn games.

The Canaries have beaten the Wolves just twice away from home, the second time being the last time the two sides met in the reverse of tomorrow’s fixture earlier this season on 1st October 2016.

Wolves have put 4 goals or more past the Canaries on 5 occasions, their best win being a 5-0 victory at the Molineux on 10th January 1998 in League Division One.

City’s biggest win was by 5 goals to 2 at Carrow Road on 21st October 2008 in the Championship, this is also the highest aggregate score in this fixture.

Norwich have won their last 3 league games against Wolves at Carrow Road scoring 9 goals in the process.

Mark Rivers (centre) celebrates his equaliser for City against Wolves in the 2002 Play-Off semi-final 1st leg

To date the most notable time the two sides have met was in a two-legged League Division One play-off semi-final in 2002.
    Norwich won the first leg at Carrow Road 3-1 on 28th April with Wolves winning the second leg 1-0 on 1st May.
    City would go on to lose the subsequent final tie on penalties against Birmingham City at the Millenium Stadium Cardiff.

Highest Norwich City Score

Norwich City 5 Wolverhampton Wanderers 2

Highest Wolverhampton Wanderers Score

Wolverhampton Wanderers 5 Norwich City 0

Highest Aggregate (7)

Norwich City 5 Wolverhampton Wanderers 2

Club Connections

Those to have played for both City and the Wolves include:

Ade Akinbiyi, Sebastien Bassong, Elliott Bennett, Paul Blades, Mo Camara (Norwich loan), Kevin Cooper (Norwich loan), Paul Cook, Carl Cort, Marc Edworthy, Stephen Elliott (Norwich loan), Neil Emblen, Craig Fleming (Wolves loan), Roger Hansbury (Wolves loan), Grant Holt (Wolves loan), Matt Jarvis, Andy Marshall (Wolves loan), Carlo Nash (Wolves loan), Iwan Roberts, Carl Robinson (Norwich loan), Robert Rosario (Wolves loan), Jason Shackell, Andrew Surman, Sam Vokes (Norwich loan), Darren Ward (Wolves loan).

Paul Lambert who took Norwich from League One to the Premier League in successive seasons

Current Wolves boss Paul Lambert did of course make his name in management with the Canaries.

Current City CEO held the same position at Wolves prior to his arrival at Carrow Road.​

Did You Know?

Clive Woods in his Ipswich Town playing days
    Ex Norwich winger Clive Woods failed a trial at Wanderers as a youngster. He went on to have a successful career with City’s arch rivals Ipswich Town where he won an FA Cup Winner’s medal in 1978. He joined the Canaries in the twilight of his playing days in 1980 making 32 appearances and scoring 4 goals.

TEAM LINE UPS

Listen to full match commentary
    With Phil Daley

and guest Match Summariser
    Cédric Anselin

on BBC Radio Norfolk 95.1 / 104.4FM & 855kHz

and don’t forget to tune in post match for
    #canarycall with Cédric and Rob Butler

OTBC

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Bloody Hell KIO, that is a sterling effort, very well done and thank you!

KIO likes this.
  3. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Evening Dave, Mr Lambert has a 100% winning record at Carrow Road since he left us and unfortunately I think that record will remain intact come 4:50PM tomorrow :emoticon-0120-doh:

canary-dave likes this.
  4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Sterling effort on the MDT KIO and in some ways, I'm dreading what the atmosphere will be like if we are to go a goal behind.
    Mind you, if we were to go more than one goal behind ................ <yikes>
    I'm sure PL is relishing coming here and I hope he gets a good welcome and I'd be quite surprised if he doesn't leave with a minimum of 1 point!!!

Still, I'm sure Delia and co will tell AN 'Well Done'.and only another 9½ years to go - that's if there are any fans left!!!!!

ilovedelia, DUNCAN DONUTS and KIO like this.
  5. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Awesome thread <ok>

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  6. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Top work. squire <applause>

7. DUNCAN DONUTS

I'm still smarting over that Kevin Muscat tackle. <grr>

8. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

So is Bellamy.

9. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

Best thing I've read all week, KIO, thank you for this effort. I too think we will be on the receiving end of a beating today...

10. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Agree it's a cracking MDT. Better read than a £3 programme! <ok>

11. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

We had so much fun at that game after though! The boos! Was intense! It is the first time I have ever seen the crowd make a player totally crumble. He miss placed so many passes. He was a bad of nerves. The little sh*t!

12. Forgot_My_Lines

Fantastic work again KIO! Great thread!

I'm dreading the game.

13. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Anyone remember a similar 'tackle' by Christian Dailly on Phil Mulryne? Ouch! <yikes>

Leg broken in two (2!) places.
    From wiki:
    However, a broken leg sustained in a tackle with Blackburn Rovers'Christian Dailly shortly
    after the start of the following season ruled him out for most of the 1999–2000 campaign.[3]

14. Forgot_My_Lines

I don't think I do remember that! Ouch.

15. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

Well one of our ex-managers picked up a good win last night, the Hughton bandwagon continues its merry march, so I don´t see any reason why another ex shouldn´t get one today, No doubt Neil will do his best to prevent it happening, but unfortunately it´s not down to him, it´s down to whatever frame of mind the players are in, and their form can fluctuate between horrific (often) and stunning (occasionally), and pretty much everything in between.

My verdict, (with no Oliveira) 0 - 0

And naturally Delia will encourage and support Neil for as long as he is here, she wants, above everything else, stability at the club, and at the moment she sees Neil as an integral part of that. The fact that most fans disagree with her, is the way it is, but it only helps to drive the wedge even deeper into the divíde between the paying customers and the board.

canary-dave likes this.
  16. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

I could understand - though still not agree, with that viewpoint, if Mr Neil and his players were emulating what Hughton is doing at Brighton. But why insist on long-term stability when a manager and his troops are punching well below their weight? It makes absolutely no sense to reward repetitive failure (since May 2015) with a long term vote of confidence?
    Small wonder the natives are revolting - he wedge is being driven, for sure, but it's that stubborn woman upstairs and her cronies swinging the mallet <grr>

17. DUNCAN DONUTS

One win every 6 weeks on average is not good enough.

18. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

She is determined to keep him Cromer, I should have thought that by now, that ought to be crystal clear. Even if that makes no sense to some (most) fans, the board will always have the final say, and even if they were prepared to listen to the voice(s) of the fans, just what good would it do them. exactly? There are 27.000 regular fans out there, and I guarantee you wouldn´t find even two who could agree on who to appoint as manager, on which players to let go, on which to bring in, on the tactics we should employ in games, etc etc etc. The board are making their own decision and not letting themselves be swayed by the fans, in this particular case, and the wedge could easily be loosened if the fans were also prepared to support Mr. Neil for the time he was here, instead of trying to force him out, against the apparent wishes of the board,

canary-dave likes this.
  19. DUNCAN DONUTS

It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation RBF the fans supported him to the end last season even though we were relegated.
    "Give him a chance " was the cry and we did , to insinuate that it's the attending fans fault that we lose about 3/4 of our games because they are trying to force him out is very strange reverse logic.

20. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Valid comments and a great response above from DD.
    You seriously expect the paying legions of fans to support yet more abject mediocrity just because it falls into line with Delia's bloody wishes? Was La La Land filmed on location round at yours? ;)

ilovedelia likes this.
: canarycall