1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City V Southampton FA Cup 3rd Round 7/1/2017 3pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fatletiss, Jan 5, 2017.

1. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Yes it isn't.

2. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

Fancy meeting for a pint later on this afternoon?

3. SAINTDON13

lol I am very unsociable in public! Anyway we might disagree and end up fighting...........

4. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I agree, but the best reaction to a wind-up merchant is to walk away, not complain about them. If you bite, they've won.

5. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

And here we go..... or those choosing to defend them. We haven't even started the clean sheet and it's only looking at one side at fault.

6. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

I'd never fight with a fellow saint.

7. SAINTDON13

Nor me, if there is a scrap I am the polite guy holding the others coats.

8. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Yes, it has changed. But it doesn't surprise me that you haven't noticed.

Even some of the rules have changed. Had you noticed that goalkeepers don't pick up back passes anymore?

Saints Fan4Life likes this.
  9. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

The issue of using young players is an interesting one.
    It is a stated aim of the club to produce our own and bring them through into the first team and a big part of the business model, that's why so much was invested into Staplewood. When are these players deemed to be ready for the first team?, that is down to the coaches that work with them on a daily basis and to be fair, the ones that have played this season have been relatively successful, i'm talking about McQueen, Sims and Hesketh mainly.
    The competition where these players were used sparingly was the EL and of course we did not qualify, in the League Cup and FA Cup we have used them most and we are still in both competitions.
    It is a kind of chicken and egg situation, introducing young players, but they will never develop if they are never played, just imagine if Shearer, Matty, the Wallaces, Wayne Bridge etc had been held back.

10. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

I'm on a self-imposed posting break after the personal insults on here got too much for me, so here's a penn'orth from someone who is mightily hacked off.

There is a huge difference between posts with phrases like:

"I don't agree with what you say."
    "What you're saying doesn't make sense."
    "Fair enough but how about."
    "No, that's not the way it is."

and

"You don't know what you're talking about."
    "You always talk like this."
    "This is what you do."
    "You're wrong"

I strive (only strive, recently having made a faux pas on this front in the politics section) to do the former. In summary, if a post is aimed at what the poster says it rarely causes rancour. If it's aimed at what the poster does or believes, the temperature goes up.

Recently, many post on here have strayed into the latter region and it's made the place a much less happy place to be. Argue points, not people.

Vin

11. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Going back to the point of this thread....
    There has been plenty of talk of how blunt our attack is, having just seen the defending for Norwich's second goal I am perhaps as worried about the defence!

With what is possibly now our two first choice centre backs playing we left a man unmarked in the middle of the box in the 92nd minute. Shambolic defending! 10 goals conceded in our last 4 games now.

If only there was a huge home cup tie approaching that could lift everybody's spirits...

12. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Yoshi was at fault for not picking up Naismith, but he cancelled that out with his thumping headed goal...I'm being flippant of course!

13. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

If only our defenders wernt required to contribute at both ends!

manxsaint and Saints_Alive like this.
  14. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

The trouble is people sometimes forget this is a type written forum. If we were all sat down perhaps in a pub having a pint or lemonade what ever, some things that are written seem to have a different inference than if they were said.
    It is true that some get upset on here and sometimes it is difficult for people to see their sensitivities.
    We have all, with no exception, misread or misunderstood someone at sometime.
    Yes we do have our antagonists What we have to do is to learn not to bite.
    This is supposed to be a football forum, a discussion of views, negative or positive or indifferent. Surely we can agree to disagree without the need for blame or non blame or "you started it no I didn't it was you" culture. We are all adults for goodness sake and should respect each others view.

15. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Puel needs to test out in training how good Jay and Long are at picking up the opposition strikers. This defender-striker swap really could be the future.

16. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Good point Vin.

17. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Yeah, that second goal was horrendous. I wonder if that's tiredness or something? Just felt like everyone had forgotten to concentrate and ended up looking very schoolboy.

18. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Except Virgil. He seemed to be doing his job, tightly marking/following Jerome (who at that stage of the game was danger number one).

19. Libby

Libby 9-0

This is what I thought you were talking about LTL so sorry if wires crossed...

A great point though Vin and a better worded version of what I was trying to say. There's too much of replying to the poster first and foremost rather than what's written.

As I said, play the post, not the poster <ok>

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  20. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

They showed on MOTD, how Yoshida was temporarily looking behind himself, to check who was there, before responding to the fact that Naismith had just strolled, casually, into acres of space.
    There was also a midfielder, possibly Romeu, who was just as casually walking towards our penalty area, and who couldn't have failed to see that Naismith was totally unmarked. His lack of reaction was equally as bad as the non marking, as he may have been able to get back and at least put the striker off.