1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City v Reading

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Apr 7, 2017.

?

Predict The Result

Poll closed Apr 8, 2017.
  1. Canaries Win

35.7%
  2. Royals Win

57.1%
  3. Stalemate

7.1%
  1. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

While Pritchard has improved the defensive part of his game to some extent, that is still his inherent weakness. That's less of a problem if he plays behind the striker, but it was a glaring weakness in the previous two games. Hoolahan has grown as a player by improving his defensive skills and if Pritchard can do the same he has the potential to become a really top-class player. As for Naismith, he is an AM not a striker and four goals in 17 starts and 9 sub appearances is reasonable for someone playing AM on the left or in the centre. His two goals yesterday gives Pritchard 5 goals in 15 matches and 10 sub appearances, so he has the advantage, but the difference isn't that great. Naismith is a much better player defensively, however, and his battling characteristics and leadership on the pitch give him an advantage in that regard. The other difference though is that Pritchard is just coming into his prime as a player whereas Naismith (and Hoolahan) are nearing the end of their career. As a manager or HC, though, I'd still like to have all 3 options.

I think that there will be an overhaul, but I'm less sure it will be massive. The 5 out of contract players will almost certainly move on, but beyond that it becomes very expensive to pay off contracts to get rid of players. IMO we need to concentrate on strengthening the defense with at least one quality CB to replace Bassong and Turner (using the salaries saved from them and the other out of contract players). If Klose leaves, we need at least two. We also need a LB (two if Dijks leaves, as is likely). Those would be my priorities, followed by a new DM and a third striker. The other key will be bringing on our young players from the U23 squad.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    JM Fan likes this.
  3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Absolutely canario and as we said when we've had good results in the past - 'one swallow doesn't make a summer' and it will be much more indicative of where we are after our next 2 away games in the coming weeks.
    For starters, we can certainly dispense with the services of Bassong, Lafferty, Mulumbu and Whittaker who are all out of contract (apologies if I've missed anyone) and will save quite a chunk of the wage bill and I'd quite like to see the 'For Sale' signs put up for Naismith, Dorrans and Jarvis.
    I'd probably just vote for Hoolahan to stay, but only to be used sparingly, as we have Maddison (and others) who NEEDS to get game time and IMO, offers a lot more.
    I'd be quite happy to swap at least 10 players and I think we could build a good team around the likes of Pinto, Howson, Pritchard and Oliveira; with Martin and Hoolahan as backup.

4. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

I'm afraid there'd be no takers for any - unless on a free.
    Of much greater concern is the thought of Howson, Pritchard and one / both Murphys attracting (inevitable) interest from lower to mid PL sides or bigger clubs than NCFC, at least.
    Who you'd like to see leave and who arouses interest among competitors are poles apart.
    And if, as RER says, and I agree, we need at least one, preferably two new CBs and a LB, how can we possibly fund new acquisitions without raising money by some form of asset selling? It's what happened last window, Brady sold on to fund Wildschut's arrival.
    (£7m smackers for Wildschut? :emoticon-0140-rofl:)

5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Very true Cromer and as you say, selling Brady to fund Wildschut's arrival does seem odd, but it had been obvious for a while that Brady was not performing at his best in yellow and green, so a sale was always on the cards.
    We do need to do our utmost to hold onto the players you've mentioned above, but we may be forced to sell a couple to finance the arrival of two new CBs and a LB as starters, though I'd have no qualms about seeing Efete fill one of the CB slots and I'm sure ILD would agree with me, as I know he's been to most if not all of the under 23 games.

6. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

I don't think we need Naismith, Hoolahan, Pritchard & Maddison. For me Pritchard & Maddison are the future. I'd be happy if we could move on Naismith & Hoolahan, but we definitely need to move on one of them.

I'd also like to dispense with Bassong, Turner, Jarvis (we should have kept Canos), Lafferty, Mulumbu, Tettey, Martin, Bennett, Rudd and Whittaker. We need to replace these players with a combination of young up and coming players and seasoned professionals. Most importantly of all we need to sort out the core of the team, so for me a solid CB pairing and a quality replacement for Tettey are key.

For me the key players we need to keep, that I see as players for now rather than the future are Howson, Jerome, Pritchard, Pinto, Klose, Wildschut, Oliveira and Ruddy (yes I know no one will agree with me & he hasn't been great this season).

I'd also keep Dorrans (why we let O'Neil go I'll never understand) and Jacob Murphy, but I'm far from convinced about Josh.

I'd like to see us sign Dijks, but I don't think it'll happen.

I see Maddison, Thompson, Godfrey and McGrandles as players for two years down the line, but who need to be involved with the first team next season and given chances to show what they can do. I would love to see Toffolo in the same group, but I'm not convinced he's good enough.

We definitely need a new captain and I would go for Howson with Jerome (or a newly signed player) as vice captain. If Martin is to stay then I would see him as cover for RB & emergency CB only I would expect him to start most games on the bench. He is a great ambassador for the club and I'd be happy for him to play a role in representing the club off the pitch, but he needs to be kept well clear of any leadership role on the pitch.

goldeneadie likes this.
  7. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Can't disagree with any of that Canario <ok>
    Plus I agree we should have kept - and bloody well used Canos more and made far more effort to hang on to O'Neil.
    AN was quick enough to offer extended contracts to ageing fringe players like Whittaker and Turner, but happily lets GoN slip though his fingers like grains of sand <doh>

8. RiverEndRick

O'Neil was a useful player but we have an ageing squad and at 33 he is near the end of his career. We offered him a one-year contract and Bristol City offered him two years so he went. His passing is average and his lack of pace led to him being caught out by faster players. I'd prefer Mulumbu to him. Canos left because he was third choice behind both Murphys and from what I saw of him that was about right. I also wonder whether there is also a temperament problem as well given his dissatisfaction at both Liverpool and with us. We may live to regret losing him, but I doubt it.

9. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

But O'Neil had something we've been badly missing this season heart, determination and the ability to organise / galvanise those around him.

Canos was never given a chance and interestingly now he's left like Redmond before him he's getting game time and starting to score. Why was he behind the Murphy's and why the hell did we sign him in the first place.

10. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Great post (#126) Rick.
    We have Thompson coming through and had he not been injured, I’m sure we would have seen a lot more of him this season. Of the others you’ve mentioned at least Maddison and Godfrey should be starting some games next year (I’m not sure which is Godfrey’s best position – let’s hope that SW and the new HC can work that one out!!).
    I saw Canos in one of the under 23 games and he had a very good first half, but seemed disinterested in the 2nd and I guess no one could see how Jacob would progress and Josh certainly seems to be in his shadow now.

11. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Pretty much agree with Paddy's ratings from yesterday and IMO there wasn't a 'weakest link' in the team -
    • John Ruddy 7.0
    Best seat in the house for the big man as the carnage unfolded. Fine parry from Lewis Grabban but Yann Kermorgant reacted quickest to inflict the only blemish.
    • Ivo Pinto 7.0
    Back after suspension. One of the few in a defensive unit you would say is a vital component for next season’s re-build
    • Russell Martin 8.0
    Raw emotion poured out after his goal. Partly as a mark of respect to loyal club servant, Peter Oldfield, who died recently. Partly a release after fresh criticism following the Huddersfield debacle.
    • Timm Klose 7.0
    His type of contest. City dominant, on the front foot and no need to test his vulnerability against an opponent without that physical threat.
    • Mitchell Dijks 7.0
    Looked like a man keen to impress after a three-game ban.
    Thumping header cannoned off the Reading bar.
    • Jonny Howson 7.5
    Ranged forward to test Ali Al-Habsi in the sequence that led to a third-minute penalty. Also pinched the ball back for Alex Pritchard’s second.
    • Alex Tettey 7.0
    No need for his unique brand of fire-fighting skills. Reading’s early threat in central midfield subsided alarmingly.
    • Jacob Murphy 7.0
    Assist of sorts for Wes Hoolahan’s opener. Will have left the field hugely frustrated not to add his name to the lengthy goal list. Al-Habsi clawed one effort off the line.
    • Alex Pritchard 8.5
    Two instinctive finishes. One left foot, one right foot. Absolutely key figure in the forward planning to come.
    He must remain at Carrow Road this summer.
    • Wes Hoolahan 8.0
    Another memorable game for the Dubliner. His brace brought up 50 City goals for the club he joined back in 2008. The first salvo was triggered by his vision and cushioned reverse ball for Jacob Murphy.
    • Nelson Oliveira 8.0
    Earned and then converted the penalty. Had Al-Habsi beaten all ends up later on in the opening period but his shot drifted wide.
    Mobile target. Another of this season’s plus points.
    City substitutes
    • Josh Murphy n/a Assist for Jerome’s goal

12. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

Uwe Rosler as Head Coach anyone?
    Presently at Fleetwood Town and with bags of experience in the Championship? and buggar all in the Premiership? Still he might be a fans favourite and if so, why?

13. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

None UK. Enjoy, for once:

14. Forgot_My_Lines

Russ gets slated a lot. I love him as a character and a captain. He does his best at CB, but he isn't one. He's a RB. Even at RB, he's less effective, obviously with age, loss of pace and stamina. I've never questioned his desire, his commitment and his love the the club.

This interview shows many reasons, why I may not want him picked to start every game, but I appreciate what he does/is at this football club. I want a Club Captain coming across like this to the media.

15. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Thanks FML and I think we're all hoping that this is his last season of starting nearly every game, but hope he'll stay at the club and I know Middleton says he had helped him.

Forgot_My_Lines likes this.
  16. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Don't keep us waiting 2 more years to see Maddison in action.

JM Fan likes this.
  17. Forgot_My_Lines

I think he'd be a loss to the dressing room. As you say, less starting time though. To be honest, I can't see us spending the money to replace the players we need to.

JM Fan likes this.
  18. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

He's got a point... <laugh>

19. RiverEndRick

I do both those things at my advanced age, but more chain-saw than chopping. <laugh>

20. RiverEndRick

This is my view from the Youth Thread:

Maddison decided to stay and fight for a place in the first team and two matches in four days may give him that chance this week-end. I'm pretty sure that both he and Thompson will join the Murphys next season. Godfrey is another possibility, but given that he won't be 20 until next January that's likely to be at DM or RB rather than CB. All of those and McGrandles and Toffolo are listed in the first team already. Much will depend on the new SD and HC, but others could get a chance in pre-season and cup games at least. The Development Squad now has it's own Wiki page, by the way:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwich_City_F.C._Under-23s

: canarycall