1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City v Queens Park Rangers

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Aug 15, 2017.

?

Predict The Result

Poll closed Aug 16, 2017.
  1. Canaries Win

40.7%
  2. 'R's Win

33.3%
  3. Stalemate

25.9%
  1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Round 3

Norwich City 2 - 0 Queens Park Rangers
    FT
    HT 0 - 0
    Oliveira (48'), Reed (82')
    Attendance: 26,082

Date: Wednesday 16th August 2017
    Venue: Carrow Road
    Kick-Off: 07:45PM

Referee: Oliver Langford
    Assistant Referees: Akil Howson & Nigel Lugg
    Fourth Official: John Busby

KIO's not606 Match Preview

Wednesday sees Norwich City welcome Queens Park Rangers to Carrow Road in Round 3 of the Sky Bet EFL Championship campaign. The Canaries have got off to a stuttering start and Daniel Farke’s side will be be desperate for their first 3 points of the season after a disappointing performance and result last time out against Sunderland.
    As kick-off approached on Sunday, a packed Carrow Road was full of anticipation and optimism after a well fought 1-1 draw on the opening day of the season against Fulham at Craven Cottage, followed by a 3-2 defeat of Swindon Town in the Carabao Cup 3 days later. City started brightly and passed the ball well but continually struggled to break down the visitor’s defence. Cameron Jerome did manage to put the ball in the net from an offside position but that was as close as the Canaries got in the opening period.

A frustrated Daniel Farke on Sunday

Sunderland who had relinquished the majority of possession to their hosts early on broke the deadlock before the interval when two former Canaries combined for the opening goal. James Vaughan who was plagued by injury whilst at Carrow Road, flicked the ball on for Lewis Grabban to fire home on 27 minutes. Aiden McGeady added a superb second for the Black Cats on the hour, before crossing for Grabban to nod home the third 11 minutes later to put the result beyond doubt. Grabban completed his ‘hat-trick’ by gifting the home side an own goal as the game entered it’s final stages.

Lewis Grabban came back to haunt the Canaries

By contrast City's visitors tomorrow arrive in good form after a creditable 2-0 win against last season’s play-off finalists Reading at Loftus Road in their season opener and a 1-1 draw at Hillsbrough against Sheffield Wednesday last time out. At the Madejski Conor Washington bagged a brace for the ‘R’s against the Royals as Reading finished the game with 10 men, Tiago Ilori being sent off for a professional foul on Pawel Wszolek. Rangers arrive in East Anglia unbeaten having also made it through to Round 2 of the carabao Cup with a 1-0 win against League One Northampton Town.

Conor Washington was on target twice for Rangers against the Royals

BBC Sport Match Preview Here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40871609

• Norwich have lost just one of their last 14 home league games against QPR (W10 D3), including a 4-0 drubbing on the final day of last season.
    • The Hoops have only managed three goals on their last seven league trips to Carrow Road, although one of these goals did come in a 1-0 victory in September 2008.
    • Ian Holloway's last two league visits to Carrow Road has seen his sides concede 10 goals while scoring only once - a 6-1 loss as Millwall boss in December 2014 and 4-0 defeat on the last day of last season with the Hoops.
    • The Canaries have lost just two games at Carrow Road in 2017 (W9 D4) but they did lose their last match 3-1 at home to Sunderland.
    • QPR have collected just two points from a possible 24 available away from home in the Championship since they defeated Birmingham 4-1 in February.

Sky Sports Match Preview Here:
    http://www.skysports.com/football/norwich-vs-qpr/374652

Daniel Farke speaks
    Daniel Farke’s Match Preview

"We were disappointed after Sunday, in football it's about results it's not about looking pretty like it is in synchronised swimming."

"Against Sunderland we were dominant for three-quarters of the game. We want to bring our performance to the pitch again but with a better result."

"We know we will make some mistakes. We were disappointed they were unnecessary mistakes but we trust the guys."

"They were there with a good attitude and gave everything. We have to work with them and give them self-confidence rather than judging them too hard."

"I don't like to rotate so much after a setback early in the season as the guys need trust."

"On the other hand, we have four games in nine days in this period. We have some opportunities to bring fresh lads onto the pitch."

"QPR have had a brilliant start and are flexible in their style. It will be a hard test for us; we have to control their counter-attacks and be awake in the simple situations."

"We need support and an atmosphere of togetherness, especially if there are mistakes. The guys know what went wrong and we're working to put it right."

Daniel Farke's injury round up ahead of tomorrow's match

James Maddison gives his thoughts

Ian Holloway’s Match Preview

Ian Holloway praises the work-rate of his side
    “The games come thick and fast in the Championship, we are not long back from Sheffield and now we are off to Norwich."
    “We’ve spent the last couple of days dusting people down to make sure they are ready."

“I want the lads to focus on what we have done well, so we can go and attempt to do it again. Every game should have that work-rate, that intensity, as the minimum level."

“We are in the process of learning, and getting some fundamentals in place – things I always felt I brought to this club when I played here, and when I managed here before."

“I want it like that again, and I want to see it every week. That work-rate has to be our identity, that is the bare minimum and I believe they are showing me that. It doesn’t guarantee us results every week, but what it does guarantee is that if we do lose games, we are going to lose in the right manner.”

On QPR's last visit to Norwich:

“I don’t think any result I have had has hurt as bad as that one.”

“To end the season like that was very upsetting for everybody. But that was then and this is now, and we have got a slightly different group, and I’d like to think we have learnt from that defeat."

“We had a good discussion about what we all felt went wrong, and I took full responsibility for it, like you should do as the leader.”
    Current Form (Last 6 Competitive Fixtures – Most Recent First)

Norwich City

LWDWDW

NORWICH HOME

Norwich have won 60%, drawn 15% and lost 25% of their last 20 home games.

In their last 20 home games against teams positioned in the top half of the table, Norwich have won 6, drawn 5 and lost 9 of these matches.

In their last 20 home games against teams positioned above them in the table, Norwich have won 6, drawn 5 and lost 9 of these matches.

Queens Park Rangers

DWWLLW

QPR AWAY

QPR have won 20%, drawn 25% and lost 55% of their last 20 away games.

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned in the bottom half of the table, QPR have won 7, drawn 7 and lost 6 of these matches.

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned below them in the table, QPR have won 6, drawn 8 and lost 6 of these matches.

MATCH STATISTICS www.kickoff.co.uk

Match History

Wednesday’s game will be the 122nd competitive meeting between the two sides with the Canaries having the slight upper hand with 46 wins to Rangers’ 40, there have been 35 drawn games.

League Games 117

Norwich Wins: 46
    QPR Wins: 37
    Draws: 33

FA Cup Ties 4

Norwich Wins: 0
    QPR Wins: 2
    Draws: 2

League Cup Ties 0

QPR Wins: 0
    Draws: 0

Zenith Data Systems Cup 1

QPR Wins: 1
    Draws: 0

The last meeting saw the Canaries thump the 'R's 4-0 at Carrow Road

The clubs first met on 15th January 1910 in the 1st Round Proper of the FA Cup at the Nest with the match finishing 0-0. Rangers went on to win the replay 3-0 four days later.

All bar 5 competitive meetings between the two sides have been league fixtures.

City’s highest margin of victory is by 5 goals to nil a feat which they have achieved twice. The first was on 21st April 1924 in Division Three (South) at the Nest, the second on Boxing Day of the same year in the same competition at the same venue.

QPR’s best win was on 14th October 1933 at Loftus Road also in Division Three (South) when they beat the visitors 5-2.

City have put 5 goals past Rangers on two other occasions, a 5-2 victory on 21st April 1948 in Division Three (South) at Carrow Road and a 5-1 win on 31st January 1959 in League Division Three.

The highest aggregate score between Rangers and City was on 14th December 1946 in an FA Cup 2nd Round tie at Carrow Road when the sides shared 8 goals. QPR subsequently went on to win the replay 2-0 at Loftus Road 4 days later.

The Canaries break the hearts of the West Londoners in 1976

One of the most notable games was on 17th April 1976 in League Division One at Carrow Road. With just three games of the season remaining Rangers were on course to win the League title in only their fourth season in the top tier. Over 11,000 QPR fans travelled to East Anglia that day to witness the Canaries spoil their party with City ending up 3-2 winners. Although Rangers managed to win their last two games against Arsenal and Leeds United respectively, it was Liverpool who were crowned Champions with QPR finishing a just a point behind as runners up.

Highest Queens Park Rangers Score

Queens Park Rangers 5 Norwich City 2

Highest Norwich City Score

Norwich City 5 Queens Park Rangers 0

Highest Aggregate (8)

Norwich City 4 Queens Park Rangers 4

Club Connections

Those to have plied their trade with both Rangers and City include:

Lee Camp, Dean Coney, Peter Crouch (Norwich loan), Jamie Cureton, Leroy Fer, Robert Green, Matt Jackson (QPR loan), Jason Jarrett (QPR loan), Andy Linighan (QPR loan), Dean Marney (QPR & Norwich loan), Brian McGovern (QPR loan), Gary O’Neil, John O’Neill, Paul Peschisolido (QPR & Norwich loan), Zesh Rehman (Norwich loan), Mike Sheron and Jimmy Smith (QPR & Norwich loan).

Mike Sheron scored just 2 league goals for City but managed 19 in 63 for QPR

Did You Know?

• Twins Josh and Jacob Murphy joined Norwich as under 11’s after being rejected by QPR.

• Rio Ferdinand who finished his playing days at Loftus Road, trialled with Norwich as a youngster before having an illustrious career with West Ham, Leeds, Manchester United and England

• Queens Park Rangers were founded in 1886 after the merger of Christchurch Rangers and St. Judes Institute. In the early years after the club's formation in their original home of Queen’s Park, London they played their home games at many different grounds until finally settling in their current home Loftus Road.

• In 1981 Queens Park Rangers dug up their grass pitch and installed an artificial one. Others followed, and by the mid-1980s there were four artificial surfaces in operation in the English leagues. They soon became a national joke: the ball pinged round like it was made of rubber, the players kept losing their footing and anyone who fell over risked carpet burns. Unsurprisingly fans complained that the football was awful to watch and one by one the clubs returned to natural grass. QPR who had been the first to install one of these ill fated playing surfaces were also the first to remove it.
    Listen to full match commentary on BBC Radio Norfolk

95.1 / 104.4FM, 855kHz & DAB Digital Radio

with Chris Goreham

and guest match summariser Simon Lappin

..... and don't forget to tune into #canarycall
    post match with 'The King of Spain'
    and Rob Butler

OT
    C

*For an optimum viewing experience of this thread please change
    default style to ‘grey alternative’ at the foot of this page.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  2. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Nice matchday thread <cheers>

QPRski and KIO like this.
  3. CroydonCaptainJack

CroydonCaptainJack Well-Known Member

Great thread but the Reading game was our season opener. The draw at Wednesday Was The Saturday just gone.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  4. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

yours are better:emoticon-0100-smile

5. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

It would be nice to see this happen ...

chinacanary and kiwiqpr like this.
  6. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Well done KIO on another superb thread, let's hope it brings a change in our fortunes! I've voted for a City win as I always do but I'm not super confident, we shall see! <cheers>

kiwiqpr likes this.
  7. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Great thread KIO and I'm hoping for a win, as we need to get our season started before it's too late (and t get us out of the relegation places. Pinto, Basil and Wes to start????
    I may be wrong, but didn't Newcastle lose their opening 2 games last season???

EssexR likes this.
  8. canary-dave

They sure did! <ok>

kiwiqpr and JM Fan like this.
  9. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

It would. I've started applauding wildly throughout the whole game to commemorate everything that did and didn't happen that week. Against Reading it worked rather well. Against Sheffield Wednesday it didn't but then I wasn't at the game.

10. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

I wondered who would be the first to spot that ;)

Op now edited :biggrin:

11. goldcoast hoop

goldcoast hoop Well-Known Member

Nice thread but need some girls ask nines

12. NorwayRanger

NorwayRanger Well-Known Member

There is a Norwich bird there.

13. canary-dave

14. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Rep for Dave
    Does ak still have the bar going

canary-dave likes this.
  15. canary-dave

Hi Kiwi, the bar is still open but Ak has a new job and doesn't get on very often, usually just the prediction thread.

I hope your lot are feeling sorry for us tonight and allow us to get 3 points <cheers>

kiwiqpr likes this.
  16. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Great thread yet again KIO! Hoping for a win, but we'll be well adrift if we don't.

17. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Yep, three games in and we'd be 8 points adrift of the Binners ! :emoticon-0107-sweat

18. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

19. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Brilliant team selection NO Martin AND NO Jerome in the starting 11!!

20. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

That has to be our strongest available 11.

JM Fan likes this.
: canarycall