1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City v Ipswich Town

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

Did you not see the winky face? I'd never ignore you! In fact, its only guru and warky that will forever now be ignored. You may not be aware of the constant droning on here by the pair but it got so tedious a few of us just gave up reading their posts. It was just easier.

2. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Notwithstanding the fact that Ipshitch Towan must have won the toss as our defence and 'keeper had to cope with those high balls with the Sun in their eyes for most of the first half <ok>

3. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

Yep. It was tricky conditions, arguably far more suited to their game than ours as every time they launched the ball in the air we had players shielding their eyes and the ball was flying in all directions!! We dealt with it very well - could easily have made a few mistakes in that first half.

4. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

You can leave off the "Oxy" bit! <ok>

5. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

Embarrassed that we had a full house?

Nope. That one has gone over my head.

I'd suggest it is pretty impressive. I think that attendance means only a handful (a Norfolk handful at least) of seats not taken in the whole ground.

Promotion hopefully would lead to our capacity being increased to cater for our natural supporter base which I'd guess (based on our waiting list) is closer to 32,000. The new tv deal may well allow us to do that. Got to go up first though.

6. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Firstly, it was the post Hillsborough Taylor report that insisted we turn into an all seater, not through choice. Secondly, through some astute business management at board level, we are now a club free of external debt - unlike many of our counterparts. We could easily have developed Carrow Fort into a 30,000+ capacity, but then when the loan mongers started calling their debts in, we'd be reduced to tapping up journeymen, refugees, cast-offs and out-of-favour short term loan players from other clubs, etc.
    And playing in front of half empty stadia with church-like crowds.
    Ring any bells...it bloody well should do <laugh> <ok>

DHCanary, K E M P, KIO and 1 other person like this.
  7. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

<laugh>

You mean you got lucky by appointing Lambert! <ok> Without him you would have been fooked.

8. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

It's just very embarrassing to announce it during a game that's all.

Had everyone in stitches so thanks.

9. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

I didn't think you were garbage at all. I thought your players put in a massive shift and the tactics, up until the second went in, were spot on to stop us playing and bring the game down. I was surprised MM didn't throw caution to the wind at that point, but I guess he just decided to minimise damage and move on.

10. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Ah Canary Rob, the voice of reason.

11. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

I too thought Ipswich played ok Rob. Nobody thinks they are good to watch but that swirling wind played right into their hands and they put us under pressure. The scoreline was wider but the game was much closer than the reverse fixture - that should have ended in a rout. This was hard fought and well contested. I never felt under threat once that second goal went in and we took control but up to that point they were in the game, though any goal was likely to come from a set piece and despite one or two shaky moments, overall we defended very well in testing circumstances.

12. mike555

mike555 Well-Known Member

Super is correct. You initially suggested the atmosphere was not great and now you are changing your mind. It might not have been as good as it has been, or should have been, but that is largely due to it not having been a great game of football. And what do you mean by " At least I can admit we weren't in top form! " .........................that is merely an excuse for not having done much better than you would have hoped for. To admit something is to concede something to you opponent..I will give you an example you can use next time " Norwich were so much better than Ipswich it has put me in a bad mood for the rest of the week. "
    Leading up to the game you came across as one of the more reasonable Binner posters on here........but perhaps you are just all the same .......bitter and twisted.
    For what it is worth, I have always liked your manager. He has worked wonders at Ipswich the last couple of seasons and he went up in my estimation when he became the youngest managers of Irish national side and stood up to bully boy Keane , who subsequently threw his toys out of the pram and , like the big t*****r that he is , sulked off back to the UK. Personally, I still hope we both go up , and in spite of your hard imminent fixtures, I believe you will remain thereabouts until the end of the season.

13. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

I don't understand why. Didn't we get 10,000 more than you did in your previous home game? Why would that leave you in stitches? If anything you should feel embarrassed by it shouldn't you?

Walsh.i.am likes this.
  14. Guru of Ipswich

Guru of Ipswich Well-Known Member

well that's one thing you could call it!

at the end of the day, we are still the same amount of points behind the autos than at the start of Saturday.

15. Canary Rob

Yep, I'm not claiming Ipswich were pretty to watch. I'm just saying I thought the players played as a team, were very organised and worked execpetionally hard. I honestly thought Ipswich did almost the best they could have done. What they needed was a bit of luck in the form of an error by a Norwich player to be punished, but we didn't offer much.

They executed MM's game plan to perfection, which was to kill it as a spectacle and try to get a smash 'n grab type goal.

We played very poorly, but our players had that little bit of quality that got the first goal and never needed to get out of third gear.

16. Canary Rob

It was a record "seated" attendance. I think that nuance got missed in the midst of clutching at ever smaller straws.

Our record attendance is substantially higher than the Binners' highest ever - JWM got caught out on this point before.

17. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

They were everything you expect from a Mick McCarthy team. Its a cliche, sure, but its true. They had no midfield though and starved Murphy of the ball. Skuse is a complete waste of space. Murphy didn't look 100% fit to me. I liked Sears, thought he was a live wire. Should have netted that big chance though. Mind you, Jerome missed a one on one too. There was a real lack of quality but they had the graft in abundance and never gave up. I suppose when you don't win though those elements aren't quite as inspiring.

18. Canary Rob

Sears telegraphed the touch too obviously though, so I wasn't surprised Ruddy got to it.

But if we're going to talk about lucky for the little nick that got the ball to Johnson, Sears was lucky to get anywhere near that ball as Olsson slipped/stumbled.

I'm also surprised that the Binners are bragging about the one "cleared off the line". It was a looping slice!

FleetCanary likes this.
  19. Superman wears Grant Holt pyjamas in bed

As I said on the other thread, I think our tough week began to catch up with us a bit yesterday. A few players playing with niggles and combined with the wind and the opposition, was never going to be one for the purists. I think we'll see plenty of rotation over the next two games to keep players fresh for the Derby home match but it would have been a big call to chop and change yesterday.

20. JKCanary

JKCanary Guest

I don't know about that, it completely fooled Olsson!
    Ruddy did well to react once he realised it was a 'heavy touch' though.