1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City v Derby County

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I mentioned this on the 'rumour' thread the other day:
    and look what is written in the latest MFW piece today?
    We both even used the word 'potent' <ok> :emoticon-0112-wonde
    http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter...ow-is-the-time-to-unite-and-support-our-team/

2. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I get your point, but there is a balancing act and tipping point. Whilst wins and performances/entertainment cannot be guaranteed, A fan has to at least go hoping to see one, other, or both.
    Pulis would be a case in point, whilst they are winning or at least meeting expectations points wise the fans will moan a little about the quality of the football, maybe even get bored by it but they will likely stay on side. Pulis's knack is to generally keep the results coming so the entertainment deficit is secondary to the winning feeling.
    For me this is why Neil has lost most of the support. For a sustained period the results have been poor (Since jan 2016) and the football has been increasingly poor to watch.
    And thats where we leave your analegy. the Chinese have preplanned a trip and it is a one off. Fans may preplan a whole season or pick and chose matches, but gradually if the prospect of being entertained with either a win or good football is taken away, so is their desire to watch it. Look at the binners, it is not inconceivable that we could slide to their position if the finances are as poor as recent articles suggest. Some might argue that we are a more loyal bunch and that we kept our gates up from Worthy's relegation all the way through our lge1 foray to now, but and it's only a feeling from comments on here and other city fans I meet with, chat to and attend with when I can. But there seems to be so many more threatening to quit their season tickets, who've had enough. Some because of Neil, some because of Delia and others; cost, family and a mixture of all of the above.
    Sorry, a long winded way of saying that if you get to a point of expecting a poor matchday experience, then you will naturally question the increasingly unaffordable ticket prices and whether a round of golf might be a better way to spend your Saturday afternoon.

Bah!

JM Fan likes this.
  3. woodbine

woodbine Well-Known Member

Derby appeal the red card against Butterfield, but how they don't think this is a red is beyond me.

4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

My gripe is WHY has it taken AN so long to see that 'Basil' must start as the No 9 if he's fit and if he also wants to play Jerome, that's fine, but NOT as the main striker.
    I always felt that Hoolahan should not have been expected to play 3 games in 8 days or whatever it was and that just underlines AN's ineptitude in picking his 11 players to start. I (and MOST of the fans near me) were calling for Hoolahan to come on when he brought Naismith on against Huddersfield.
    OK, AN has one foot on the 'first rung of the ladder' in his bid to stay as our manager, but he's got to get several more wins this month (excluding the FA cup) before I'm convinced.
    Let's hope Brady is sold before we host Wolves, as that will be his first game after suspension or if he's still here that he's not in the starting 11.

5. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Crikey, it's not THAT bad is it? :emoticon-0105-wink:

6. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Hypotheticaly speaking, I'm sure you'd prefer shopping! :emoticon-0109-kiss:

Bah!

ncgandy likes this.
  7. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Interesting question JM. It could be that it took time for Oliveira to settle after he arrived. Jerome had the whole pre-season in which he played well and then started off the first 15 or so games of the season with 6 goals and we were near or at the top of the table by then. Oliveira played his first game against Everton in the EFL Cup on the 20th of September and then played 8 more games without scoring, except for one in the Leeds EFL Cup game, so he didn't exactly hit the ground running. He did score 3 goals playing with the U23s, but that isn't quite the same. His first Championship goal came on the 3rd of December in the rout of Brentford and since then he has been the starter with 6 more goals in 6 matches, so it seems to me he had finally settled and AN was confident playing him and he has taken his chance and then some.

Hoolahan, at 34, needs to be used carefully to be sure, but like most creative players (Pritchard included), performances will vary from game to game. He was brilliant against Derby on Monday, but he's also had some disappointing games as well. Those are the tough choices any manager has to make. I agree that City need to produce a good run of results in the next 7 games if we are to get back into the top 6, which is the minimum for this season to be a success.

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  8. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Another good reason I'd like to see Maddison retained here, even if it's just for brief cameos initially when Wes / Pritchard fade or tire.

9. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

My only hope is that AN will keep to pretty much the same starting 11 for the next few games, whilst also realising that Hoolahan can't paly 90 minutes every game!!!!

10. RiverEndRick

I agree Cromer, but only if he's going to get game time. His time at Aberdeen seems to have moved him on a lot but, at 19, the Championship is still a big step up.

Canary Spring likes this.

11. RiverEndRick

I'd be surprised if he made many changes against Rotherham after that performance. I'd like to see Pritchard in the cup to give Wes a break and keep the competition up.

JM Fan likes this.
  12. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with you RER, for me the issue with making changes is that he seems to have no clear rational behind the changes he makes, not that he makes changes. Often the changes he makes are badly timed, seem to be the opposite to what is needed and often tend to be based on who's his favorite rather than on performances.

JM Fan likes this.
  13. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Although I'd love to see Maddison playing in a yellow and green shirt. I think the risk of damage to his development by returning to us in our current situation is not a risk worth taking.

JM Fan likes this.
  14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

RiverEndRick likes this.
  15. RiverEndRick

I agree JM. He gave himself time to consider rather than making a snap decision and consulting the lino was part of that. If the appeal is upheld when Brady's wasn't it will say a lot about the FA.

16. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Sorry Rick - I was posting my comment, as the red card for appeal has been rejected, so Butterfield misses 3 games.

RiverEndRick likes this.
  17. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I hope they increase his ban due to a frivolous appeal!

Damn!!!!

JM Fan likes this.
  18. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

There are some Derby fans on twitter claiming it wasn't even a foul because he got the ball and Wes was play-acting! <doh>

19. RiverEndRick

No problem JM, at least justice has been done.

JM Fan likes this.
  20. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

They obviously weren't accustomed to the beer here being stronger!!!! <laugh>

canary-dave likes this.
: canarycall