1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City v Derby County

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Jan 1, 2017.

1. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

WTF is team Dave?

2. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Was he moaning, canario, or was he ironically expressing how quickly things change in football? He asked the fans to get behind the team (rather than himself) against Derby and they did so magnificently with OTBC ringing around the ground with a gusto that's been missing of late. Those weren't 'fans' hoping we'd lose so that AN would be sacked. JM is right to say that we had to hang on to win in some of the early games, but we also had the same done to us in some of the losses. Would we have lost to QPR if Olsson hadn't been sent off in the 2nd minute? I think not. The players actually did well to push QPR all the way to finish 2-1 with 10 men over virtually the whole game. Football is exactly that - a game where things happen by chance.

JM Fan likes this.
  3. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I thought exactly the same about 'team Cromer'?
    Unless he meant "happy clappers" vs "perpetual fault-finders"
    or glass half full vs glass can't quite decide, he lost me with that too.

canary-dave likes this.
  4. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

I´ve only selected this part of your discourse, as it´s relevant to what I want to say, but we do at least agree on one thing, and that is that money with a very capital M is at the root of a lot of today´s football related problems.

What I wanted to say with regard to the above, is, even with today´s extreme prices, when fans buy a match day ticket or a season ticket, they´re not paying for ( or can demand) a win, they´re not even paying ( or can demand ) to be entertained, they´re paying for a match day experience, and supporting the Club at the same time. They´d like to be entertained, but football is a unique commodity, and in any match day experience you get what you get. Had it just been your own eleven players out there, then no doubt they would entertain until the cows came home, but unfortunately they´ve always got another opposing eleven out there, doing their damnedest to spoil the party.

Not a great comparison, but it´s a bit like a group of twenty visitors from China, over here, buying tickets for
    Legoland, then finding on the day they´re supposed to be going, that it pisses down, so they can´t do three-quarters of the things they had hoped to do. Then when they get home, not only do they demand their money back, they also demand that the Director is fired.

Any match day experience is always going to be a bit of a lottery.

canary-dave likes this.
  5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I've copied the 'player ratings' from the EDP website and what a difference a few weeks makes. I think it was the Huddersfield game and the highest rating PD gave any of our players (other than Basil) was 6 - yesterday, NO one scored lower than 7!!!!
    John Ruddy 7.5
    Sublime reaction stop from Tom Ince altered the course of this contest.
    • Ivo Pinto 7.0
    One burst brought a golden chance for Steven Naismith.
    • Russell Martin 7.0
    Two games, two clean sheets. Deep cross produced the second goal.
    • Timm Klose 7.0
    Took one or two chances in bringing the ball down but exudes air of calm.
    • Martin Olsson 7.5
    Constant overlapping threat down the left. Great appetite for work.
    • Jonny Howson 7.0
    Sloppy turnover for Ince’s second-half chance. Industrious shift.
    • Alex Tettey 7.0
    Two games in close proximity but no signs of fatigue. Shot hit the post.
    • Jacob Murphy 7.0
    Prominent attacking outlet. Denied by Scott Carson more than once.
    • Steven Naismith 7.0
    Slack early on. Spurned two good chances first half. Improved thereafter.
    • Wes Hoolahan 8.0
    Vibrant, energetic. Provided a stream of goalscoring opportunities.
    • Nelson Oliveira 9.0
    Turned a fractious atmosphere into a party. Treble top.

canary-dave likes this.
  6. woodbine

woodbine Well-Known Member

Hopefully we can play like this for the majority of the games remaining, but I thought we turned a corner after we beat Huddersfield 5 - 0, so not getting my hopes up.

7. RiverEndRick

I think that was Brentford we beat 5-0, but I know what you mean, Woodbine. What we need now is a run of results to close the gap further. We're now 2 games into the second half of the season and we need to achieve the kind of consistency that Brighton are achieving if we are to be in with a chance at the end. Four points from two matches is a start, but we need more than that as AN himself has said: "We needed to take it a step further today and win the game and marry it up with a really good performance. Now we need to build on it. We are ninth now, only five points off the play-offs and half a season left to play so plenty for us to play for.”

8. RiverEndRick

While I think those ratings are reasonable (Whoscored was more generous), I think the comments reveal his particular bias. Jacob was "denied by Scott Carson more than once" whereas Naismith "spurned two good chances first half. Improved thereafter". Football journalism is now mostly opinion, subjective rather than objective. In that sense it has become yet another form of social media.

JM Fan likes this.
  9. woodbine

woodbine Well-Known Member

My mistake, was Brentford.

But as you say, we need consistency. The next couple of games will be interesting to see if we really have turned a corner, I understand why people want AN out and I myself was feeling that way, but I will be as happy if he turns it around. Season not over yet.

Also don't know what the deal with Klose was about, 2 starts and 2 clean sheets.

JM Fan likes this.
  10. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Just an observation that you two seem to delight in picking fault in anything and everything the other posts. This seems to extend to as Cromer says "happy clappers" vs "perpetual fault-finders" where you both seem to try to align with different posters to gain some sort of one upmanship. I get that you don't seem to see eye to eye, I don't know if it's purely the moderating thing? But it does seem to result in a lot of cheap shots from both sides. Maybe it's my imagination?

Bah!

11. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I've noticed that as well, maybe they just need to give each other a <hug> !!!!

ncgandy likes this.
  12. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

Well said General, I´d say that sums it up perfectly, but then isn´t taking sides, a normal consequence of being part of a forum like this? I´d say it´s unavoidable. The bit we could well do without though, is the cheap shots imo.

JM Fan and ncgandy like this.
  13. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

If those 20 visitors from China decided to go back the following week to LEGO land and the staff were lazy rude and unhelpful then kept visiting for a further 3 months having mainly bad days out ?
    Not due to the weather but by bad management and felt ripped off they would know that it wasn't a one off .

14. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

When I've been described in full view of all the other forum contributors as 'not even human' or words to that effect, how is that supposed to make me feel?
    If it's 'cheap shots' you're after, you won't scrape the barrel any deeper than that <doh>

15. DUNCAN DONUTS

You have got a crappy childish poem thread named in your honour about willies and testicles.

16. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Care to point me in the right direction, please?

17. RiverEndRick

My feeling is that too often cheap shots (on both sides) get in the way of discussion of football issues. I suspect this may be why we've lost posters like Supers and CanaryRob to name just two. Few issues are black and white and football is just one of them. Calling AN names adds nothing to the discussion and usually produces a pointless argument based on emotion rather than reason. As somebody still undecided about AN, I can see discussing his pros and cons, but too often the same poster will attack him for changing the line-up one week then attack him again the following week for not changing the line-up which to me makes no sense.

carrowcanario and JM Fan like this.
  18. DUNCAN DONUTS

19. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

royalbarclayfan likes this.
  20. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I don't know about taking sides, more aligning on certain topics where some members have a similar mindset. The recent issues have certainly polarised things, Delia and the board, patience and Alex Neil.

Bah!

: canarycall