1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City v Derby County

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Jan 1, 2017.

1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

ROUND 25

Norwich City 3 - 0 Derby County
    FT
    HT 1 - 0
    Oliveira (15' 78' 80')
    Butterfield (66')

Attendance: 26,422

Date: Monday 2nd January 2017
    Venue: Carrow Road
    Kick-Off: 03:00PM

Referee: Darren Bond
    Assistants: David Avent & Ian Cooper
    Fourth Official: Keith Stroud

KIO’s not606 Match Preview

Tomorrow sees Norwich City welcome Derby County to Carrow Road in Round 25 of the EFL sky BET Championship. City boss Alex Neil is under intense pressure to win this one with his side having taken a meagre 11 points from the last 45 available. After such a dreadful run of form many fans and indeed many in the local media already consider Neil’s position as manager untenable so defeat against the Rams could well see him relieved of his duties.

Under fire Canaries boss Alex Neil

Last time out against Brentford at Griffin Park the Canaries played out a goalless draw, this despite Neil starting the game with two strikers for the first time this season and his side having the lion’s share of the play. Cameron Jerome was guilty of missing several gilt edged chances but Jacob Murphy arguably missed City’s best chance just after his introduction when he failed to slot home with just Bees ‘keeper Dan Bentley to beat. The Canaries had to play the last fifteen minutes with ten men after Robbie Brady had been shown his marching orders for what seemed an innocuous challenge on Brentford’s Ryan Woods. Subsequently Brady is suspended for this one but Johnny Howson is available for selection again after serving his one match ban for the red card he received against Reading.

City striker Cameron Jerome was firing blanks against the Bees last time out

Conversely the Rams are in relatively good form with no defeats in their last ten outings, winning three and drawing two of their last five. County also go into this one on the back of a goalless draw however with lowly Wigan Athletic taking a share of the spoils at the Pride Park Stadium on New Year’s Eve. In late November the Rams secured a 1-0 victory against their hosts tomorrow in the reverse fixture, the only goal of the game coming from Ex City midfielder Bradley Johnson which was notable for his reluctance to celebrate his winning strike against his former side.

Bradley Johnson fires home for the Rams against City in November

Ex England manager Steve McClaren now in his second spell with the Rams, has hinted that he could freshen up his side for tomorrow by shuffling his pack and utilising the squad at his disposal. One who will definitely miss out tomorrow will be Will Hughes who serves the first of a two match suspension after collecting ten yellow cards.

Derby's Will Hughes misses out tomorrow

Alex Neil’s Match Preview

Alex Neil previews tomorrow's match
    "I think they're [Derby] good going forward, they're quite open as a team so there are definitely opportunities to go and try and counter and hurt them.”

"They've got some good players in their squad, as have we, so it will make for a good game. We're certainly going there to win it and I'm sure they'll be doing the same."

With City having lost their last four league matches Neil knows he’s under pressure but says one positive result can make a real difference and provide the momentum to kick on.

"Monday to Friday, generally in the main, they’ve trained really well. The difference is really on Saturday, and they look determined and ready so hopefully we can back that up with a good performance.”

"(A result) stops the rot, if you like, and then builds up a bit of momentum. Hopefully you can go and kick on from there. We were going really, really well, and then one bad result has made it spiral a little bit.”

"We need to make sure we halt that and then put the momentum the other way."

Steve McClaren’s Match Preview

Rams chief Steve McClaren give his thoughts
    “We’ll try to change things and freshen it up where we can, we did it against Fulham recently and did it effectively too, so we need to do it again.”

“We have got good players in the squad ready to come in.”

“It’s a difficult game, especially away from home, but we’ll be ready for it.”

One enforced change for the Rams will be 21-year-old Will Hughes who misses out through suspension.

“It’s disappointing for us that he misses two games.”

“We’re lucky it’s only Monday at Norwich and then the FA Cup game at West Bromwich Albion that we are without him, so he only misses a week of action rather than two.”

“It’s just maturity he has to come to. Some of the bookings have been needless and where there’s no need in terms of where the fouls have been committed.”

“We don’t want to change his game and that aggression that he has got, but he just needs to do it in the right areas.”

Current Form (Most Recent First)

Norwich City

DLLWL

Derby County

DWDWW

NORWICH HOME

Norwich have won 45%, drawn 15% and lost 40% of their last 20 home games.

In their last 20 home games against teams positioned in the top half of the table, Norwich have won 4, drawn 5 and lost 11 of these matches.

In their last 20 home games against teams positioned above them in the table, Norwich have won 3, drawn 5 and lost 12 of these matches.

DERBY AWAY

Derby have won 45%, drawn 25% and lost 30% of their last 20 away games.

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned in the top half of the table, Derby have won 5, drawn 8 and lost 7 of these matches.

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned below them in the table, Derby have won 11, drawn 5 and lost 4 of these matches.

MATCH STATISTICS www.kick-off.co.uk

Match History

The Rams and The Canaries have met 63 times in competitive matches Norwich having the upper hand with 27 victories to Derby's 19, there have been 17 drawn games.
    The Canaries biggest winning margin against County was an away victory on 28th December 2003 in League Division One (The Championship), when they thumped The Rams 4-0. Ironically Derby's best winning margin was also away from home when they romped to a 4-1 win at Carrow Road in the old Second Division on 16th April 1969. Five years earlier on 2nd September 1964 City managed to put 5 goals past County in their Second Division home fixture, Derby netted twice to make this the highest aggregate score between the two sides.

Chris Goreham and Neil Adams 'go bananas' in 2011

The most dramatic finish to a Canaries and Rams match up was at Carrow Road on 25th April 2011 when Simeon Jackson's late, late winner kept City in the top two of The Championship causing BBC Radio Norfolk commentator Chris Goreham and the then co-commentator and former Norwich City Boss Neil Adams to go wild in celebration.

Highest Derby County score

Norwich City 1 Derby County 4

Highest Norwich City score

Norwich City 5 Derby County 2

Highest aggregate (7)

Norwich City 5 Derby County 2

Club Connections

Former Canaries now with the Rams:

Jacob Butterfield, Bradley Johnson, Chris Martin and Jason Shackell

Others to have played for both the City and County include:

Daniel Ayala (Derby loan), Lee Camp, Kevin Cooper (Norwich loan), Lee Croft, Rob Earnshaw, Marc Edworthy, Kevin Harper (Norwich loan), Kevin Lisbie (Norwich & Derby Loan), Arturo Lupoli, Danny Mills (Derby loan), Paul Peschisolido (Norwich loan), Spencer Prior, Jason Shackell, Mathias Svensson, James Vaughan (Derby loan), Ashley Ward, Zak Whitbread and Andre Wisdom (Norwich & Derby loan).

Ashley Ward in his City playing days

Did You Know?

Graham Paddon

The late Graham Paddon who made 340 appearances for City
    scouted for Derby after finishing his playing career.​

Bruce Rioch shown here playing for Derby also managed the Canaries

Former Canaries boss Bruce Rioch made 106 appearances for Derby scoring 34 times.​

TEAM LINE UPS

Listen to full match commentary
    with Chris Goreham

and guest match sumariser Darren Eadie

on BBC Radio Norfolk 95.1 / 104.4FM & 855kHZ

....and don't forget to tune in post match for
    #canarycall with Darren and Rob Butler

OTBC

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  2. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I think you are find my MDT's are unbeaten! :emoticon-0105-wink:

3. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Ok Guys a little bit more effort has gone into this one as it could well be the last thread I do with AN in charge #hereshoping :emoticon-0105-wink:

4. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Nice one Rich, I still getr goosebumps listening to that City winner! :)

KIO likes this.
  5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Excellent work KIO and worth the wait (I just fancy a pint!!!).
    Yes, I'll NEVER forget that Jacko winner, as my children had paid for me to have lunch with Hucks for my 60th and I was just coming down the steps when THAT goal went in.
    I'll be going to the two league games at the end of this month and I'm not sure how many more I can be ar53d to go to.
    #hereshoping

canary-dave and KIO like this.
  6. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

So you're nearly as old as me you old bugger! ;)

JM Fan likes this.
  7. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

8. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

No, perhaps not JM, but then that is what supporters are supposed to do, whether they pay their money or not - certainly the opposite is not going to help results. And they haven´t found a win recently, when the fans have, technically, been on their side, so I doubt they will, with them down their throats.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    JM Fan likes this.
  9. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Good point RBF and I remember only a few weeks ago, when the crowd really got behind the team in the 2nd half and it did seem to 'lift' the players. We certainly don't need AN to ask us to cheer our boys on and woe betide if the board choose to put 'happy clappers' on all the seats!!!! <yikes>

10. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This made me howl <laugh> regardless of the result today. <applause>

GaryF ‏@GazzaTCC
    @Gary_Gowers I'll be in Carrow Road from 13.00 with a big bundle
    of #NCFC / Bradley Johnson half & half scarves. Any takers?

JM Fan likes this.

11. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

He he ! I'll be buying one lol.

12. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Darren Eadie co-commentating this afternoon, normally tells it like it is without sitting on the fence <ok>

13. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Have heard Mark Robins and Simon Lappin earlier this season, both very good, too. <ok>
    Mark Rivers and/or Bryan, you know Gunn has me instantly, you know, reaching for the, you know, remote / volume control <grr>

14. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Another soul destroying crushing defeat should be enough to rid us of Alex Neil.

KIO likes this.
  15. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

So less than 10 minutes until whether we revert to staid, predictable, easily snuff-outable NCFC - or stick with something bolder and more attacking is revealed.
    Anyone holding their breath?? :emoticon-0112-wonde :emoticon-0158-time:

16. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

17. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

One up front <doh>

18. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

At least Jerome isn't starting. I'm going to go for a win by a single goal. ☺

19. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

20. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

Three (3) defenders on the bench. Why?

: canarycall