1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City v Brighton & Hove Albion

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Apr 21, 2017.

?

Predict The Result

Poll closed Apr 22, 2017.
  1. Canaries Win

50.0%
  2. Seagulls Win

42.9%
  3. Stalemate

7.1%
  1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Sky Bet EFL Championship

please log in to view this image

Round 44

Norwich City 2 - 0 Brighton & Hove Albion
    FT
    HT 2 - 0
    Stockdale 18' og 39' og

Attendance: 26,932
    Referee: Peter Bankes
    Assistant Referees: Geoffrey Russell & Daniel Leach
    Fourth Official: Tim Robinson*

*Tim Robinson Refereed this match

Date: 21st April 2017
    Venue: Carrow Road
    Kick-Off: 07:45PM

KIO’s Match Preview

This evening Norwich City welcome Brighton & Hove Albion to Carrow Road in Round 44 of this season’s Sky Bet EFL Championship campaign. The Seagulls arrive in East Anglia having secured promotion to the Premier League under Ex Canaries manager Chris Hughton and their travelling fans will undoubtedly be in party mood. The Canaries however will want to spoil that party and will be buoyed by their excellent away success last time out against Preston North End at Deepdale.

James Maddison after scoring City's 3rd goal against Preston last Saturday

This game is perhaps a ‘dead rubber’ but the Norwich players are playing for their futures with a new Head Coach due to be appointed in the summer.

Sky TV will be broadcasting the match ‘live’ so you could say that those that don’t make the cut for City come the close season will be putting themselves in the footballing shop window.
    Norwich started the season with the hope of going back to the Premier League but have fallen well short of expectations. City sit in 8th place 10 points off the play-off zone with just 3 games to go.

Brighton players celebrate their promotion to English football's top flight

Although it’s been a disappointing season for Canaries fans, for the neutral their games have been some of the most entertaining with plenty of goals being scored at both ends of the pitch. City have had no trouble finding the net, unfortunately they’ve had plenty of trouble keeping the ball out of the onion bag at the other end.
    The Seagulls took a hard fought 3 points against Wigan last round which was enough to earn automatic promotion. Currently on top of the table with a 7 point gap over Newcastle United in 2nd, Brighton will be going all out for the win this evening as a further 3 points tonight will see them edge one step closer to the Championship title.

BBC Match Preview Here:
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39597355

• If Brighton secure the Championship title on Friday, it will be their fourth league title in 16 years, more than any other current EFL club. Manchester United are the only English club outside the EFL to have won more.
    • Norwich have lost just one of their last seven league meetings with Brighton (W5 D1), although it came in this season's reverse fixture, losing 5-0, their heaviest defeat in the Championship this term.
    • The Seagulls have won just once in their last 16 league visits to Carrow Road, winning 1-0 in December 2002 thanks to a goal from Steve Sidwell (D7 L8).
    • Brighton are looking to achieve a league double over Norwich for the first time since the 1951-52 campaign - this will be their 34th league meeting since then.
    • Anthony Knockaert has scored in 13 different Championship games and never ended up on the losing side this season (W12 D1). The French winger has ended up on the losing side just once in the 28 Football League games he has scored in (W24 D3), a 2-1 defeat by Sheffield Wednesday as a Leicester player in December 2013.

Sky Sports Match Preview Here:
    http://www.skysports.com/football/norwich-vs-brighton/358632

Alan Irvine’s Match Preview

Alan Irvine previews tonight's game

"We want to win this game and we want to win it for us, rather than to stop Brighton achieving what they want to achieve."

"We'll go about our work as professionally as we possibly can. We've got to move the ball quickly that's for sure, they're really well organised.”

"They have real threats when they're on the ball, they have players at the top end of the pitch who have done well all season.”

"Our results overall this season have been very good at Carrow Road, though, and we want to continue that."

"It's vital that we get some consistency now but clearly we've got an extremely difficult task next,"

"Brighton are undoubtedly going to go to try and win the Championship and I've got a lot of respect for what Chris has done there, I think they've been excellent all season and it's a test for us.”

"I'm sure they would have had a great night after it was confirmed that they would be promoted, but I'm also sure that they'll be fully focussed on now taking it the next step forward."

Chris Hughton’s Match Preview

Chris Hughton gives his thoughts
    “What we want to be able to do is give a good account of ourselves. We’ve been able to do that all season and it’s not something that we want to stop doing now.”

“I probably have to focus that little bit more, but everything surrounding the last few days has been expected. When the club, players and staff achieve what we’ve achieved this season, everything over the last few days goes with it.”

“It just shows what it means to everybody. We saw signs of the opposite - the disappointment of last season - and we very much saw what that meant, but we’re the other side of it now.”

“One good thing that has come out of it, is [learning] the history of this football club. Some would be aware; of course if you’re a Brighton supporter you would be aware.”

“But I suppose, nationally, there would have been a lot of people that weren’t aware of what the club has gone through over the last 20 years or so.”

“I’ve always felt that Brighton is a very popular football club, and that possibly might be that there aren’t too many rivalries from where we’re situated.”

“It’s been very well received [promotion], and I think there’s a general good feeling that we’ve been able to achieve it.”

Current Form (Last 6 Competitive Fixtures – Most Recent First)

Norwich City

WLWLLW

NORWICH HOME

Norwich have won 65%, drawn 15% and lost 20% of their last 20 home games.

In their last 20 home games against teams positioned in the top half of the table, Norwich have won 5, drawn 6 and lost 9 of these matches.

In their last 20 home games against teams positioned above them in the table, Norwich have won 5, drawn 5 and lost 10 of these matches.

Brighton & Hove Albion

WWWWWL

BRIGHTON AWAY

Brighton have won 55%, drawn 20% and lost 25% of their last 20 away games.

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned in the top half of the table, Brighton have won 6, drawn 8 and lost 6 of these matches.

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned below them in the table, Brighton have won 11, drawn 5 and lost 4 of these matches.

MATCH STATS: www.kickoff.co.uk

Match History

Norwich City Wins: 33

Brighton & Hove Albion Wins: 30

Drawn Games: 24

The two clubs have met 87 times in competitive fixtures the Canaries having the slight upper hand with 33 wins to Albion’s 30.

The first meeting was on 25th March in League Division Three (South) at the Goldstone Ground which saw Albion beat City by 2 goals to nil.

Brighton’s best win against City was a 6-3 victory on 7th September 1929 in League Division Three (South) at the Goldstone Ground.

On 30th November 1946 in a First Round FA Cup tie at Carrow Road the Canaries thrashed the Seagulls 7-2 which together with a 6-3 victory for Brighton on 7thSeptember 1929 in League Division Three (South) is also the highest aggregate score in this fixture.

There have been many other high scoring games between Norwich and Brighton over the years which include:

9th September 1933 – League Division Three (South)
    Norwich City 4 Brighton & Hove Albion 3

9th Janaury 1946 – FA Cup 3rd Round (2nd Leg)
    Brighton & Hove Albion 4 Norwich City 1

8th February 1947 – League Division Three (South)
    Brighton & Hove Albion 3 Norwich City 3

15th December 1954 – FA Cup 2nd Round Replay
    Brighton & Hove Albion 5 Norwich City 1

14th April 1956 – League Division Three (South)
    Norwich City 3 Brighton & Hove Albion 3

27th October 1979 – League Division One
    Brighton & Hove Albion 2 Norwich City 4

29th November 1989 – Zenith Data Systems Cup
    Norwich City 5 Brighton & Hove Albion 0

24th November 2009 – League One
    Norwich City 4 Brighton & Hove Albion 1

22nd November 2014 – League Championship
    Norwich City 3 Brighton & Hove Albion 3

29th October 2016 – League Championship
    Brighton & Hove Albion 5 Norwich City 0

Highest Norwich City Score

Norwich City 7 Brighton & Hove Albion 2

Highest Brighton & Hove Albion Score

Brighton & Hove Albion 6 Norwich City 0

Highest Aggregate (9)

Brighton & Hove Albion 6 Norwich City 3
    Norwich City 7 Brighton & Hove Albion 2

Club Connections

Those to have worn both jerseys include:

Ade Akinbiyi (Brighton loan), Mark Barham, Elliott Bennett, Joe Corrigan (Norwich loan), Andrew Crofts, Ian Culverhouse, Mark Farrington, Justin Fashanu, Jason Jarrett, Bradley Johnson (Brighton loan), Leroy Lita (Norwich & Brighton loan), Zesh Rehman (Brighton & Norwich loan), Gary Rowell, Sam Vokes (Norwich & Brighton loan), Mark Walton and Willie Young.

Mark Barham in his Brighton playing days

• Brighton boss Chris Hughton previously managed the Canaries.

• Paul Trollope who is currently a coach with the Seagulls also coached at Norwich.

• Current Aston Villa Assistant Manager Colin Calderwood was also Assistant to Chris Hughton at both Norwich and Brighton.

• Canaries Captain Russell Martin started his career with his hometown club Brighton as a youngster but never broke into the first team.

• Ewen Chester has scouted for both Norwich and Brighton.

• Ex Canaries back-up Goalkeeper and Goalkeeping Coach Paul Crichton also coached at Brighton.

• Former Seagulls Striker Bobby Zamora was released by Norwich at age 16 for “being too small”.

• Archie Macaulay who famously managed third division Norwich City to an FA Cup semi-final replay in 1959 managed the Seagulls between 1963-68
    Archie Macaulay who managed the Canaries bewteen 1957-61 and later Brighton & Hove Albion

Did You Know?

Brighton’s main rivals are considered to be Crystal Palace despite the two clubs being approximately 40 miles apart.
    This is something that they share in common with Norwich City as the Canaries main rivals Ipswich Town are situated a similar distance away from them.

The Seagulls were formed in 1901 a year before Norwich City and participated in the Southern League before entering the Football League’s third division in 1920.

Between 1908 and 1912 the FA Charity Shield was contested by the Football League and Southern League Champions.
    In 1910 Southern League Champions Brighton beat Aston Villa to lift the trophy, this was the only occasion on which the Southern League winners prevailed.

Brighton & Hove Albion 1910 with the Southern League & Charity Shield trophies

This is Brighton’s only national honour to date however they did contest the 1983 FA Cup final with Manchester United.
    The Seagulls were relegated from the first division that year and Manchester United were odds on favourites to win, despite this the match finished in a 2-2 draw at Wembley Stadium.
    It was a different story five days later however with the Red Devils thrashing the Seagulls 4-0 in the replay.

TEAM LINE UPS
    squad (1).jpg

MATCH TO BE BROADCAST 'LIVE'

Listen To Full Match Commentary
    On BBC Radio Norfolk
    95.1/104.4FM, 855kHz & DAB Digital Radio

With Chris Goreham

And Guest Match Summariser Greg Downs

....... And Don't Forget To Tune In To #canarycall
    Post Match With Greg & Rob Butler

OT
    C

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  2. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Up to your usual standard KIO and I don't know why, but I've a feeling we could sneak a win (not QUITE enough to put money on it mind!!) this evening and delay the 'Seagulls' celebration. <ok>

KIO likes this.
  3. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Abject failure of a season.
    Great thread though KIO

4. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Great thread Rich, I think we'll make Brighton wait to be crowned champions - City 4-2 Brighton!

<cheers>

5. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

Cracking read KIO. My first ever game at Carrow Road was Norwich Reserves Vs Brighton and Hove Albion reserves in the mid 80s. 0-0 thriller.

KIO likes this.
  6. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

I don't know what it is that you're on Dave but I want some ! <laugh>

7. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Lidoff_540x540.jpg

Resurgam, ncgandy and KIO like this.
  8. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

OP updated, just been announced that Greg Downs will be co-commentating this evening.
    One of the best IMO as he pulls no punches <ok>

9. canary-dave

10. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

It's a tragic story Dave it really is, but where will it all end?

No offence but we'll soon be holding a minute's applause before every game at this rate.

I can understand clubs he played for doing so but with the greatest respect to him and his family he had no connections to our club whatsoever.

At this rate we'll be holding a minutes applause before every game because some footballer somewhere on planet earth has kicked the bucket.

11. canary-dave

You surprise me Rich, he was an England footballer and he's been taken at an age where life should just be beginning, it's such a sad, tragic story! <ok>

12. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

I don't disagree Dave how could I, but I don't remember us holding a round of applause for ex Man City player Marc-Vivien Foé when he dropped dead on the pitch and he was only 28 !

Did we hold a round of applause for ex Canaries forward Albert Bennett when he died recently?
    I'm not sure that we did, however I'm sure someone on here will correct me if I'm wrong.

13. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Once again up to your inimitable standard, KIO <applause>
    Be ironic if Hootun holds the trophy aloft on what used to be his hallowed turf! <yikes>
    Brighton will be well up for this, half our lot are already on the beach - should be a formality.

KIO and JM Fan like this.
  14. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0137-clapp KIO

I'll probably watch tonight. To see Chris crowned Champions.

What a story to do it at Carrow Road. Fair play to him. Was lovely to hear him say he has no bad feeling about our club.

KIO likes this.
  15. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

NCFC bigging up the oppo - remind you of anyone? ;)

Well done Norwich...and Brighton <ok>

16. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

That's classy, Cromer. A pretty good achievement for a manager judged to be 'clueless' a few years back! ;)

17. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

18. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

That's pretty tacky IMO.

Canary Spring likes this.
  19. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Evening Guys team line ups added to the OP no surprises with just one change, Oliveira comes in for Jerome

Canary Spring likes this.
  20. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

It's also a fair indictment of just how much our board have no teeth or claws.
    Witness the lack of action during that appalling run we had back in the autumn.
    7 points from 10 games and from top to outside playoffs is surely not acceptable?
    Or shouldn't have been...but was for our lot <doh>

Resurgam likes this.
: canarycall