1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City v Barnsley

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Mar 17, 2017.

?

Predict The Result

Poll closed Mar 18, 2017.
  1. Canaries Win

71.4%
  2. Tykes Win

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Stalemate

28.6%
  1. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Round 38

Norwich City 2 - 0 Barnsley
    FT

HT 1 - 0
    Attendance: 26,105
    Date: Saturday 18th March 2017
    Venue: Carrow Road
    Kick-Off: 03:00PM

Referee: Darren Bond
    Assistant Referees: Andrew Fox & Ian Cooper
    Fourth Official: Charles Breakspear

KIO’s Match Preview

Tomorrow sees Norwich City welcome Barnsley to Carrow Road in Round 38 of the Sky Bet EFL Championship season. It will be City interim boss Alan Irvine’s second game in charge of first team affairs after he presided over the Canaries’ 1-1 draw against Blackburn Rovers last time out.

Norwich must do without the services of suspended defender Mitchell Dijks for this one, the Dutchman was shown a straight red card in last weekend's 2-2 home draw against Rovers and must therefore serve a three-game ban.

Centre-half Tim Klose could be in contention again the Swiss having recovered from a back problem, while Nelson Oliveira and Graham Dorrans have trained all week so both could also feature.

Midfielder Youssouf Mulumbu (thigh) and winger Matt Jarvis (hamstring) continue their recoveries, youngster Louis Thompson is out for the season following Achilles surgery.

Striker Nelson Oliveira could return for City

For Barnsley defender Marc Roberts will have a late fitness test after sustaining an ankle injury.

Tykes Head coach Paul Heckingbottom expects Roberts to be in contention and has no other injury or suspensions to report.

Left-back Aidy White remains Heckingbottom's only absentee as he is recovering from surgery to resolve a pelvis problem.

Barnsley are sweating on the fitness of Marc Roberts

Match Facts (Taken From the BBC)

· Norwich City are unbeaten in their last 14 home league games against the Tykes, winning seven of them
    · Barnsley's 2-1 win in the reverse fixture was their first over Norwich in the league since August 2000 (D2 L9)
    · Cameron Jerome has scored eight goals in his last 11 league games for Norwich - as many as in his previous 50 matches
    · Barnsley have scored the most goals via substitutes in the Championship this season (10)
    · The Tykes have the youngest average starting XI age in the Championship at 24 years and 21 days old
    · Norwich haven't won in six league games, picking up just four points from a possible 18 (W0 D4 L2)

Alan Irvine’s Match Preview

City Caretaker boss Alan Irvine previews tomorrow's game

"The players have trained extremely well and their application has been what we would have expected.”

"It's been no different to how they go about it on a daily basis. The professionalism has certainly been what we'd expect too.”

"Every single player has done the job that you would expect them to do. Blackburn was a real test for us and we showed great character in coming back,
    that says a lot for them."

"We've got a big gap to make up and there's no doubt that it's going to be extremely difficult for us to get into the play-offs, however there are 27 points to play for there are enough points there if we were able to get them all.”

"That's an extremely hard task, some people might say it's an impossible task. If you look at every game, on its own, we're capable of winning them all.”

"I don't look at any of the games and think 'I don't expect us to win that one'. That doesn't mean that each of those games isn't extremely difficult, because they are.”

"We've got a lot of games against teams who are above us in the table which clearly says they're going to be tough games. I look at each game on paper and if we play to our best we're capable of winning them."

Paul Heckingbottom’s Match Preview

Paul Heckingbottom gives his thoughts

http://www.tvyorkshire.co.uk/paul-heckingbottom-previews-norwich-clash/

“I reckon Norwich will still think they can do it (reach the playoffs), especially with the firepower they’ve got in the squad, the calibre of players in their squad, not just the 11 or on the bench, but the ones who can’t even make the squad every week, they’ll believe they’ve still got a chance.”

“It’s a great place to go and play, it’ll be a full house and it’s another big game for us against a top side who’ve recently been in the Premier League. It’s another test for the players, can they beat Norwich again? Can they compete with Premier League players? These are the games we relish. We know that if we bring our best game, we’re very tough to beat. We will go there on Saturday aiming for three points, as always.”

Current Form (Last Competitive Fixtures – Most Recent First)

Norwich City

DDLDLD

NORWICH HOME

Norwich have won 60%, drawn 20% and lost 20% of their last 20 home games.

In their last 20 home games against teams positioned in the top half of the table, Norwich have won 4, drawn 6 and lost 10 of these matches.

In their last 20 home games against teams positioned below them in the table, Norwich have won 13, drawn 4 and lost 3 of these matches.

Barnsley

DLLDLW

BARNSLEY AWAY

Barnsley have won 50%, drawn 10% and lost 40% of their last 20 away games.

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned in the top half of the table, Barnsley have won 7, drawn 3 and lost 10 of these matches.

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned above them in the table, Barnsley have won 7, drawn 2 and lost 11 of these matches.

MATCH STATS: www.kickoff.co.uk

Match History

Tomorrow’s game will be the 40th competitive fixture between Norwich City and Barnsley with all bar 6 matches being played in the 2nd tier of English Football. They have met twice in the 3rd Tier and have contested three FA Cup ties with the first going to a replay.

The first ever meeting was indeed an FA Cup 1st Round tie on 7th January 1922 at Oakwell which finished 1-1.
    The Tykes won the replay by 2 goals to 1 which took place four days later at The Nest on 11th January.

Overall the two clubs have met 39 times in competitive fixtures, City have 17 wins, Barnsley have 10 and there have been 12 drawn games.

The Canaries’ biggest winning margin against the Tykes is 4 goals a feat which they have achieved on two occasions.
    The first was a 5-1 victory at Carrow Road on 26th August 2006 in the Football League Championship (2nd Tier), the second was a 4-0 win in the same competition at the same venue on 17th January 2009.

Barnsley have only managed to put more than 2 goals past Norwich once which was a 3-1 home victory at Oakwell on 12th November 1996 in League Division 1 (2nd Tier).

Highest Norwich City score

Norwich City 5 Barnsley 1

Highest Barnsley score

Barnsley 3 Norwich City 1

Highest Aggregate

Norwich City 5 Barnsley 1

Club Connections

Those to have turned out for both the Canaries and the Tykes include:

Ben Alnwick (Norwich loan), Clive Baker, Jacob Butterfield, Jamie Cureton (Barnsley loan), Rob Edwards (Norwich loan), Mike Flynn, David Fox (Barnsley loan), Simeon Jackson, Andy Johnson, Leroy Lita (Norwich loan), Mick McGuire, Jan Molby (Norwich & Barnsley loan), Maceo Rigters (Norwich & Barnsley loan), Jason Shackell, Mike Sheron, Korey Smith (Barnsley loan), Ashley Ward, Tony Warner (Norwich & Barnsley loan) and Simon Whaley (Barnsley loan)

Ashley Ward

Former Norwich manager Alex Neil played for Barnsley.

Current Barnsley boss Paul Heckingbottom was once a Canary in his playing days.

One time Norwich City coach John Benson was Chief Scout at Oakwell.

Former Canaries player and manager John Deehan was assistant manager at Barnsley.

Former Tykes boss Mark Robins had a prolific spell as a striker for City in the early 1990s.

Mark Robins

Did You Know?

Oakwell has been the home of the Tykes since 1887

The name ‘Oakwell’ originates from the well and oak tree that were on the stadium site when first built.

Barnsley hold the record for most seasons spent in the second tier of English Football (76)
    On 3 January 2011 they became the first club to achieve 1,000 wins in the second level of English football with a 2–1 home victory over Coventry City.

Barnsley have only played in the top flight once which was the 1997-98 Premier League season.

TEAM LINE UPS
    squad (2).jpg

Listen To Full Match Commentary
    On BBC Radio Norfolk 95.1/104.4FM, 855kHz
    & DAB Digital Radio With Chris Goreham

And Guest Match Summariser
    Daryl Sutch

And Don’t Forget To Tune In To #canarycall
    Post Match With Daryl & Rob Butler

OT
    C

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  2. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Superb job as usual Rich, are you still on for next week?

<cheers>

3. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Should be mate, I'll give you a call nearer the time <ok>

canary-dave likes this.
  4. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Great stuff KIO.
    Yes, I'll be there for this one and could we see TWO strikers on the pitch at the same time?????
    Also hope to see JM get his Championship debut at some time. <ok>

KIO likes this.
  5. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Don't hold your breath mate !:emoticon-0120-doh:

6. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I MIGHT have a little gamble on him to score depending on the odds!!!!! :emoticon-0105-wink:

Canary Spring likes this.
  7. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Well I don't know why it's happened but the Youtube video of Alan Irvine's match preview in the OP has been 'removed by user'??:emoticon-0112-wonde

8. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Nice one KIO. The team performance and quality of the matches don't live up to the quality of the Threads that go before them.

KIO likes this.
  9. theyellowfever

theyellowfever Active Member

great thread again KIO, lets hope the result reflects your efforts

10. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

This is intriguing - who exactly are the others? :emoticon-0112-wonde

"Mitchell Dijks will definitely miss out as he begins a three-match suspension following his red card against Blackburn last weekend, with Steven Whittaker one possible option as his replacement.

"Steven was the one who came on [against Blackburn] and we don't have too many options at full-back, so it could be an opportunity for him," Irvine added.

Read more at http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/arti...ey-team-news-3630464.aspx#kIb783iRPsFdguqf.99

11. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Well that's pretty weird, that interview has now been put back up so I've re-posted it in the OP ?? <confused>

12. Forgot_My_Lines

Right. So this is the first game we can properly blame Irvine. Let's see what he's up to!

He seems to come across well and talks a lot of sense. Let's see if he can put that across on the pitch.

13. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

The board will certainly hope does so they can appoint him full time #cheapoption #itsgonnahappen :emoticon-0120-doh:

14. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

No surprises there then <doh>

15. theyellowfever

theyellowfever Active Member

Prudence with ambition....

16. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Team graphics added to the OP, I really like the way Barnsley tweet their side's line up <ok>

17. Forgot_My_Lines

Of course it is. Gunn and Adams all over again.

18. Forgot_My_Lines

Interesting to see how Martin and Bennett do in the centre. I'm guessing, not great. Whittaker at LB makes my heart sink. Great to see Pritchard in. Hoolahan is a surprise, thought he was due a drop.

I've gone for a City win, we are due one, and Irvine will be given the job, so has to be a win.

19. Forgot_My_Lines

Is Maddison Injured?

20. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Apparently there was a mention yesterday that a few were missing through illness but no names given!

: canarycall