1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich City FC @ Deepdale 22/10/2016

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, Oct 20, 2016.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Another 7am set off for the last of this seasons marathon trips, this time off to the land of Alan Partridge's North Norfolk matters as North End take on Norwich. The last time these two sides did battle was an FA Cup tie a couple of seasons ago with North End crusing to a 2-0 victory, the result led to the sacking of then manager Neil Adams(losing to North End has cost 6 managers their jobs in the last 18 months) In place of Adams they appointed Alex Spitting Neil who went on to have a tremendous run of form which got them promoted for one season only, down they came and back in the Championship. Thye have started well although cannot keep a clean sheet throwing away a two goal lead at Fulham on Tuesday night.
    They are unbeaten at home having won all games except the game against Sheffield Wednesday which ended in a draw, possibly time to drop some home points again.
    Decent side with a non too shabby squad with the likes of Ruddy, Naismith and Pritchard only making the bench on Tuesday night was surprised they let Rudd go on loan to Charlton very strange move that one. Currently second in the league will need to be at our best again but playing better teams think brings out the best in us.
    Only been once before won 2-1 with Gregan scoring from 50 plus yards.
    North End on a decent run at the moment no new injuries concerns also possible return of Beckford and Vermijl to the squad, should be a good but long day out for those of us on teh coach.

Norwich last three WWD Next three Brighton A Leeds H QPR A
    North End last three WDW Next three Newcastle A Newcastle H Rotherham A

2. themaclad

Well the marathon journey was worth it, although spending the best part of 16 hours with some people in a coach can leave you wnting to commit murder, some people are hard work!!!!!
    A good start to the day with the M6 being shut meant going into Yorkshire and down the A1 and down through Lincolnshire and North Norfolk. Compared to last week arrived well in time have to say Carrow Road is a decent ground and was almost full, 26236 was the attendence.
    Norwich could have scored in the first 15 seconds, Jerome got in down the right hand side, although in my view from the fourth floor on the hotel next to the stand looked offside, was not given but North End were saved by a good Maxwell save.
    Almost immediately North End should have scored, ball over the top by Pringle allowed Hugill to advance on goal , never really got the ball under control and McGovern smothered his tame effort.
    Norwich dominated possession played some nice football but apart from a couple of weak shots on target didnot really trouble Maxwell. To be honest North End looked comfortable although Tettey was causing the team problems and City also had some joy down the flanks but the North End defence coped reasonably well. On the stroke of half time Robinson who had had a a good first half could not quite convert a half chance after a good run.
    Pringle was just beaten to the ball by the City keeper at the start of the second half chasing a through ball, but the introduction of two substitutes for the home side gave them a bit of impetus. The dwarfish Pritchard went close from a free kick which brought a fine finger tip save from Maxwell and his mazy runs caused us some problems.
    15 minutes from time came the goal (caught in film by this Pathe cameraman) Robinson fouled near the touchline, Johnson free kick, Baptiste header GOAL
    An immediate reponse from City Jerome hit the post, pinball in the area for about a minute afterwards, later I think it was Jerome who looked to have scored until Wright's brilliant goal line clearance, and for about 10 minutes we were under severe pressure, but survived and survived the latter stages of the game with relative ease. So seven points from the clubs who are 2nd, 3rd, fourth in the league next up at Deepdale Newcastle bring it on.
    Only been to Carrow Road twice wonthem both the last time I was there ended up in the play off final, leave it at that.

GOAL

Norwich City 0 Preston North End 1 Att 26239

Norwich City boss Alex Neil:

"It was really, really sloppy. We have defended set-pieces well all game and then we allow Baptiste to have a free run from a central area and head the ball in.

"It was a very frustrating game for us because although we had a lot of the ball we didn't do enough with it. That is what can happen when five or six of your players aren't at their best.

"We had a lot of possession, but that means nothing if you don't make full use of it. We needed to do more with the ball today. It was really disappointing."

Preston manager Simon Grayson:

"We defended really well and we also posed a threat to them as well and had plenty of chances over the course of the game.

"It wasn't that long ago that we had lost six of the first seven and the some of the natives were getting a little restless. But since we lost 5-0 at Brentford the lads have knuckled down and put a good run together.

"The confidence of the players is obviously high at the moment after the good results they have had but no-one is getting carried away."

3. barnetpne

barnetpne Well-Known Member

I should have bragging rights at the gym here in Downham Market, West Norfolk, but they are all plastic United supporters and could not give a monkey's about City even though one played for th club (not first team). I believe the City goalkeeper coach comes to the gym but I don't know him. It is confusing hearing the Norfolk burr discussing whether Mourinho should be sacked!
    Unfortunately, I was in Northern Spain on Saturday...family duties! One of the few opportunities I can get to see NE. watching C5 the EPL show on playback, it was odd to hear commentators acknowledge NE even though one was the Barnsley boss!

4. themaclad

Saw signs for the Market on the way there, went the scenic route

5. ilovedelia

ilovedelia Well-Known Member

I think that's a fair assessment, and you fully deserved the 3 points. That's the first time in 5 years that I've heard our team booed off at the end, we're generally a loyal bunch but we were pretty awful for most of that game. That's how it's been for most of the season, we meander through games until the opposition score then we wake up, but by then it's normally too late. Good luck you look a decent team!

themaclad likes this.