1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Northern League Day

Discussion in 'Non-League' started by DolphinHotel, Mar 12, 2011.

1. DolphinHotel

DolphinHotel New Member

Some of you might have seen this already but the first ever Northern League Day is taking place on April 9th. The idea was inspired by last year's Non-League Day and the problems that Ryton are having at the moment. The website is here:

http://northernleagueday.wordpress.com/

Although I've spoken to and have the backing of Ryton and Mike Amos at the Northern League, this is a completely independent initiative from a Northern League fan.

At the moment, we're also trying to organise some staggered kick off times so fans can take in more than one game.

2. Mod Face

Mod Face Well-Known Member

Nice idea! Spartans are playing at home that day but if staggered kick-offs could be arranged that would be fantastic.

Whitley Bay vs Ashington
    Morpeth Town vs North Shields

Two 'Northumberland v Tyne&Wear' matches I'd be interested in, an early and an evening game would mean I could see all three matches which would be great.

I certainly back this scheme, it's a relaxed and cheap day out with some proper blood and guts football, I'd encourage anyone not travelling away for Boro or Toon to pop along to their local non-league side, even with radio and headphones to follow the 'major' match.

Needless to say, people are more than welcome at Croft Park, even if it is a higher level. <ok>

3. DolphinHotel

DolphinHotel New Member

Cheers. I was at Blyth myself the other week for another of those Tyne & Wear / Northumberland grudge games. Really enjoyed it. Wrote about the day out here: http://theaccidentalgroundhopper.blogspot.com/
    As soon as I know about any early/late kick offs, I'll let you know.

4. Mod Face

Read your piece, well written. <ok>

Slight criticism is overlooking the fact we had three excellent chances all in the dying minutes and from what I saw, the majority of fans stayed until the end, especially considering how we were looking the better of the two sides towards the end.

Tavernier and Liddle were so obviously league players we really couldn't handle them and Gateshead probably deserved their win.

Nice article though. <ok>

Any chance of doing one for Darlington v Gateshead's 2nd leg Semi?

5. DolphinHotel

DolphinHotel New Member

Cheers. You're right, the vast majority of people did stay to the end, but the ones who left did start drifting away when Fisher missed that chance. Wasn't meant as a dig at the Blyth fans. Didn't include everything because it wasn't really meant as a match report. Steve Brown in The Sunday Sun mentioned every single chance but then he wasn't traipsing around Ridley Park an hour before the game or investigating the Masons two hours before kick off ;)
    I'd love to do one for the second leg but I'll be on my way to Spain right around then. Might get a report on a game from there, but it'll probably be at about the level of the Northern Alliance.

6. Mod Face

Looking forward to it! I'd like to know how the Spanish non-league compares to the English one. <ok>

7. NUFCtomw362

NUFCtomw362 Active Member

Am I correct that Fisher (currently of Gateshead) used to play for Chester-le-Street FC?

Will be attending Blyth - Gloucester on April the 9th and potentially a late kick off if there is one in the region. Thanks for the heads up on this one.