1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Northampton Town Vs The Gas Build Up/Match Day Thread And Poll

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Gasheadseamge79, Feb 25, 2013.

?

Final Score

Poll closed Feb 26, 2013.
  1. Northampton Win

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Gas Win

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Score Draw

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Goalless Draw

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Northampton Town Vs Bristol Rovers, Sixfields, Northampton, Tuesday 26th February 2013, Npower League 2, Kick Off 7:45

please log in to view this image

At A Glance Northampton Town - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northampton_Town_F.C.

Head To Head - http://www.bristolrovers-mad.co.uk/h...ch/index.shtml

MANAGER'S NORTHAMPTON PREVIEW

With games coming thick and fast at the moment, managers don’t have a great deal of time to prepare their teams for a Tuesday night fixture following a tough match just a few days before.

Rovers boss John Ward, like many of his contemporaries, just gets on with things, no matter what fate throws at him.

“All clubs are in a similar position,” he said this morning, “We will have a quick head count and see who is available, and what bumps and bruises we have, then get legs moving, get on the bus and go and play another match. In all honesty, that’s how it’s going to be between now and the end of the season.”

There are some concerns over the knee injury sustained by Seanan Clucas at Morecambe on Saturday.

“His knee is very sore and, at the moment, we think it’s a nasty injury. We will need to assess it more closely over the next couple of days.”

He isn’t sure whether any of the other injured players will be available for tomorrow’s trip to Northampton

“Ryan Brunt will be back out with us this morning and we will have a look at him again. There’s no serious damage to his knee, but it is still very sore. However, he’s prepared to get his boots on today and give it a go and if he’s OK there’s a chance he might be included tomorrow.

“Unfortunately we are unable to say the same about Fabian Broghammer and Dave Clarkson, who will both miss out.”

Rovers travel to Sixfields to take on a team that has won 12 of its 15 home games this season, and lies in fourth place in the League Two table.

“In terms of their league position they are no different to a number of teams we have played recently. We have managed some good results against teams challenging at the top of the league, and going to Northampton doesn’t phase me or my players; we know what to expect.

“They are a team that scores goals and are a top six side because they are effective. They have a management team, in Aidy Boothroyd and Andy King, who know how to get out of this league. When Aidy went in there last season they were in a similar position to ourselves and in danger of dropping out of the league.

This season, though, he and Andy have not only turned things around, they have given themselves a chance of getting out of the league at the top end so we know that we can expect a difficult game.”

One of the strikeforce, Clive Platt, is well known to the manager from their time together at Colchester.

“He’s a good lad and is exceptionally good in the air. His strike partner, Adebayo Akinfenwa, has a good scoring record and is a dangerous player in and around the box.”

While recognising that Northampton are one of the division’s in form sides, the same can be said about Rovers, who have experienced defeat on only two occasions since Ward took over as manager.

“We earned ourselves a good point against Morecambe on Saturday and the team showed a great attitude against a side that had only lost one of their previous six games. We stood our corner and defended well in the first half and then, in the second half, had couple of good chances to score. It was a good game of football, though, and both teams deserve credit for that.”

Having worked closely with Northampton boss Aidy Boothroyd when the two of them were together at Colchester, the manager knows what sort of game to expect tomorrow.

“They are good and effective side, so I think it’s unlikely to be an open game of football with lots of goals. Aidy is a good manager. He gained promotion when he was at Watford, and we almost did it with Colchester. He has a good football brain, and is a good manager.”

The manager expects his side to have to defend well tomorrow.

“We had to do that at Morecambe and at Rotherham, but one of the reasons we have improved of late is because we have been able to select a consistent back five. We will need to be at our best again tomorrow against a team in the top six.

“It’s still very tight at the bottom of the league, and we aren’t out of it by any means and we still have to go for it. We have a relatively small squad and we have to work hard with that group and see if we can maintain, and improve, on what we are doing.

“There’s no way we will be thinking all is ok, and we have to continue to work extremely hard especially with the games coming thick and fast.”

Ticket News

Buy on the day for the game

Tickets for Rovers trip to Northampton tomorrow will be available to buy on the day.

Away supporters are situated in the South Stand of the Sixfields Stadium and tickets are priced at £20 for adults, £16 for senior citizens, £8 for U18s and free for U7s.

There will be no price increase on the day of the game.

2. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Sorry folks a shorter thread from me for this match had it all typed up and ready to post and then my bloody PC crashed so couldn't be assed to retype it again as I feel defeated :wink: normally I do a draft of the thread on Microsoft Word and then copy and paste it but I didn't this time around so I made a quick thread instead.

Anyway this is always a tough game against Northampton away they have lost only lost three games this season at Sixfields which isn't a good sign that said I'm going to be positive and say.....

Northampton 1-1 The Gas

Gas Scorer - Joe Anyinsah

Gas Traveling - 506

3. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

quality thread again seamge <ok>

northampton has won 12 of their last 15 games. great record. i put us down to win this game on the vote before realising their form! <yikes>

we are undefeated away from the mem under JW so this should be a good game. we need to remain solid at the back and not concede an early goal. frustrate them and counter with pace so i would start harrison in this game. start with 451 (if we can use 451 as clucas/clarkson will be out) and then push to 442 as and when needed.

one thing is for sure, our players are feeling confident about tomorrows game according to 'mildenhalls away days' thread.

4. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Bristol Rovers striker Ryan Brunt returns to training ahead of Northampton trip

Manager John Ward is hopeful that Ryan Brunt will be fit and available to spearhead Bristol Rovers' attack at Northampton Town tomorrow night.
    Brunt missed Saturday 1-1 draw at Morecambe because of a knee injury sustained during last Tuesday night's 2-1 defeat at the hands of Rotherham United.
    A scan on Friday, however, revealed no serious damage and Brunt joined in with training this morning and Ward is hopeful that he will be fit enough to make the trip to Sixfields.
    "We might get Ryan back," said Ward. "He has got a bit of soreness, but there is no serious damage to the knee.

"He was quite prepared to get his boots on and give it a go in training. If there is no reaction, we will include him for the trip to Northampton."
    Midfielder Seanan Clucas, however, is expected to miss out after taking a heavy blow to his knee that led to him being carried off on a stretcher in the final few minutes at the Globe Arena.
    "He's very sore," Ward confirmed. "We need to get a good look at that knee because it does look a nasty one."
    David Clarkson (ankle) and Fabian Broghammer (hamstring) are also still struggling and not expected to feature against a Northampton side that boast the second-best home record in League Two.
    "They are another team in good form, but so were Rotherham, Morecambe and Fleetwood and we managed to get good results in some of those games," said Ward.
    "This is another tough game, but it won't faze me and it shouldn't faze any of my players either because we've managed to hold our own quite well in these sorts of games.
    "Northampton score goals and win games and have got themselves in to the top six by being effective at what they do."
    Ward, meanwhile, expects a cat and mouse affair against a side managed by a man he worked alongside at Colchester United for a year in the shape of Aidy Boothroyd.
    "When Aidy went in there last year, I think they were in a similar position to where we have been in that they were in danger of going out of the league," said Ward.
    "He has since built a side with a very good chance of getting out of this league at the right end this season.
    "He is good at what he does and taking Watford to the Premier League a few years ago is testament to that fact.
    "We've had tight games and I expect this to be no different. Our defenders will have to be very strong because in Clive Platt and Adebayo Akinfewa they have players capable of scoring goals, but the way we have defended has been at the crux of our improvement.
    "The back four has been consistent in its selection and without a doubt they will have to be on their game again on Tuesday night, but I also feel that we are capable of finding a goal."
    Rovers, meanwhile, continue to sit six points above the relegation zone following Saturday's draw at the Globe Arena &#8211; but Ward refuse to say exactly what they may need in terms of points before they can consider themselves safe.
    "We need one more point than the bottom two on the final day of the season," Ward said. "We don't want to get to that point because that would be a bit tense, so we working as hard as we can to try and nail it down as quickly as we can.
    "We can't think everything is fine, we have to work extremely hard over the next few weeks because the games are coming thick and fast before it is all over.
    "I've never ever said we are out of it (relegation battle). We are in a better position, but there is still everything to go for.
    "We have a relatively small squad of players, but we have to see if we can aim to maintain or even improve what we are doing."

5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

i said in the vote we will win but im changing to a draw. 2-2. o'toole and anyinsah with the goals.

6. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

TEAM NEWS

Northampton Town boss Aidy Boothroyd has no fresh injury concerns after Saturday's 1-0 win over Plymouth.
    Striker Adebayo Akinfenwa could start, having made an impact from the bench at the weekend.
    Bristol Rovers are without midfielder Fabian Broghammer and striker David Clarkson for the trip to Sixfields.
    Midfielder Seanan Clucas is doubtful with a knee injury, while Ryan Brunt is unlikely to feature despite returning to training this week.

7. Bluebaldee

Bluebaldee Total Git

We'll miss Seanan. I wonder who will do the donkey work in midfield?

8. gas

gas ACCOUNT DELETED
    Forum Moderator

Usual great match thread Seamge <ok>

We got a few out injured. TBH I'll be very happy with a draw.

I'll be relying on you ****ers on here tomorrow night to keep me up to date. BBC site is so slow they're still updating the 2nd half against Morecombe.<laugh>

9. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Lol gas. I be here :)

10. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

I'll be here :wink:

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Nice <ok>

12. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

Bit of a tosser at the moment as nearly all of our games seem to be against the top two or three teams in the division. That is until we knock them off their perch! Its a bit like those candles on the kid's birthday cake which sparkle back to life when they are blown out.

13. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Last 6 games looks very interesting..... Remember we are 18th on 39 points.

Home vs York - currently 17th on 39 points
    Away vs Dag & Red - currently 16th on 41 points
    Home vs Wimbledon - currently 21st on 35 points
    Away vs Southend - currently 8th on 50 points
    Home vs Accrington - currently 23rd on 33 points
    Away vs Torquay - currently 19th on 37 points

Apart from Southend away, we do have a good run with team all around us which is what I rather have than all the top teams.

14. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

A look at the home of tonight's opposition

Sixfields Stadium

Telephone: 01604 683 700
    Ticket Office:01604 683 777

Capacity: 7,653
    Away Capacity: 1,150
    Average 2011/12 Attendance: 4,809

Tickets: Tickets for Rovers trip to Northampton will be available to buy on the day. Away supporters are situated in the South Stand of the Sixfields Stadium and tickets are priced at £20 for adults, £16 for senior citizens, £8 for U18s and free for U7s. There will be no price increase on the day of the game.

How To Get There: Take the M4 east until Junction 13 for Oxford. Exit the motorway and follow the A34 passing Oxford and then towards the M40 north. Exit the M40 at Junction 10 to join the A43 (heading towards Brackley). Stay on the A43 all the way to the town of Northampton. Cross the M1 at Junction 15A continuing towards Northampton and the stadium will eventually appear on the right.
    SatNav: NN5 5QA

Distance: 110.6 miles
    Duration: 2 hours 15 minutes

Away Facilities: Away fans are located in covered seating behind one goal. The stand is close to the playing area with a great view, and an excellent atmosphere can be generated with a decent following of supporters. The facilities are very good in what is a relatively modern all-seater stadium.

Last visit: Rovers' last trip to Northampton was March last year, where they lost 3-2. Craig Stanley and Lee Brown scored the goals for Rovers.

15. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

A look at tonight's game

Bristol Rovers showed the steely side to their game under John Ward when picking up a point at Morecambe on Saturday. At the same time this evening&#8217;s opposition Northampton Town were showing a battling side to their game to wheedle three points out of Plymouth Argyle.

The points came the Cobblers&#8217; way at Sixfields when the Pilgrims goalkeeper Jake Cole condemned his side to defeat with a second-half mistake. Cole fumbled a corner under pressure from Cobblers&#8217; skipper Kelvin Langmead, allowing Clive Platt to force home. Prior to that Cole has saved attempts from Roy O'Donovan, Harding and Bayo Akinfenwa.

Northampton Town manager Aidy Boothroyd commenting after the game said, "We were made to scrap for it. We didn't play very well today, but it's about winning. Only Lee Collins and Roy O'Donovan played up to their normal levels and the rest were a tad below par, but that's how it is sometimes.

"There was a bit of fortune with the goal, but we didn't get very much fortune at AFC Wimbledon, so it's evened itself out. Everyone has their favourites on team selection, but it's me who picks the team. At times today, we looked good, but we know we can play."

Meanwhile giant striker Clive Platt is confident his team&#8217;s home form will see them to a promotion berth this season. The win over Argyle was their 9th win from 10 attempts at home taking them to within a point of third-placed Burton Albion five ahead of Southend.

Since the 22nd December the Cobblers have played 12 games and picked up 25 points from the 36 on offer.

Platt noted that the home games are becoming increasingly difficult, &#8220;Teams are coming here and they&#8217;re just trying to get a point or just see the game out,&#8221; he said. &#8220;It is a difficult place for any team to come to now and if we maintain that and keep picking up points away from home then we&#8217;ve got every chance of being successful this season.

&#8220;Any team that is right down the bottom is hard to play. I&#8217;ve been in that position with teams myself and you&#8217;re fighting for your lives. It becomes a lot harder. You want a couple of mid-table teams who have nothing to play for really, they are the games you want but they&#8217;re few and far between at this stage of the season."

As members of the old Third Division (South) Rovers have a long tradition of games against the Cobblers. There have been some stirring games but perhaps none bring such painful memories than the Cobblers&#8217; 1997/98 Play-off Semi-Final victory.

In the first meeting between the clubs in 1907/08 season Rovers ran out 1-0 winners at the County Ground on 11 January 1908. In the first four post-World War II meetings between the teams the away team won the lot!

The 1989/90 Championship season probably summed up the difference between a winning and losing team. In the game at Twerton Park on 29th October 1989, Bobby Brown was running the Rovers defence ragged and the undefeated home record looked in danger. Goals by Devon White and Paul Nixon had the game tied at 2-2.

Late in the game Devon White was controversially brought down in the box and Holloway converted the penalty to give the Gas an unlikely lead. Then with the seconds ticking away an unlucky Trevor Quow guided a clearance into his own net to give the final score of 4-2. It was all 6 points to Rovers largely due to their 'never say die' spirit, after another Ian Holloway penalty secured a 2-1 win at the County Ground.

The previous time Rovers had 'done the double' over the Cobblers was back in 1967/68 season. Two goals in the home game by Stuart Taylor secured the points at Eastville. However it was the game at the County Ground that had been so remarkable.

Rovers&#8217; away record was nothing to shout about, of their first 7 away games they had won 1 drawn 2 and lost 4, the Cobblers had won 5 of their previous 6 games. Converted Left Half (Remember them? They used to wear number 6) Ray Mabbutt had a field day in the County Ground mud.

Frank Large gave the home team an early lead but Rovers were quickly level when a Johnny Williams pile driver was parried by Harvey straight to Mabbutt, who stabbed the ball home. Soon after Large was brought down in the box and Mackin scored from the spot. It fell to Bobby Jones scoring against his old club to restore Rovers to parity.

A 30-yard shot from Johnny Williams gave Rovers a 3-2 lead but that man Large made sure things were all square by half time. It was some while into the second-half before the goals started to roll in again, Mabbutt accepting a simple tap in before Large scored the Cobblers fourth goal and completed his hat trick. Not to be outdone Mabbutt scored once more to complete the only hat trick of his career and to give Rovers an incredible 5-4 away win

Looking at those 1997/98 Play-Off Semi-Finals, having secured a 3-1 home win many Rovers fans were already booking tickets for Wembley. However the Cobblers thought (quite rightly, as it turned out) that their away goal, scored late in the game, would be crucial. So it turned out to be, the 3-0 reverse at Sixfields was stunning.

Earlier this season Rovers beat the Cobblers 3-1 at the Mem. At Sixfields their last victory was on 6 November 2007, since then they have had a 0-0 draw and last season they lost there 3-2 on 6 March. At Northampton of the 43 games played the home team has won 23, there have been 9 draws and 11 Rovers&#8217; victories.

Cobblers Boss, Aidy Boothroyd worked with John Ward at Colchester before he moved to Coventry with taking over the Manger&#8217;s chair. Talking ahead of tonight&#8217;s game the former Gas full back noted,

&#8220;I thought we got what we deserved when we played down there earlier in the season, Tom Eaves caused us all sorts of problems but he&#8217;s gone back to Bolton now, and gone back out on loan again.

&#8220;They are a team that has been struggling for most of the season, but they are a big club for this division and the bookies fancied them for promotion this season. I know how big a club it is because I&#8217;ve played for them. They&#8217;ve got some good players and a good manager and it doesn&#8217;t surprise me that they&#8217;ve picked up.

&#8220;They&#8217;ve brought some good loan players in and we&#8217;ve got to make sure we don&#8217;t become another statistic on their record and that they become one on ours. We&#8217;re due a good performance and I&#8217;m looking forward to the game.

&#8220;Both teams seem to be better in the first half so maybe the fans should go to the cinema for the first half and then turn up at half-time. It will be an interesting game because I&#8217;ve seen them a couple of times under John and they&#8217;ve got players that can counter-attack and that can play a bit.

&#8220;The games against Plymouth and Wimbledon were difficult games but it&#8217;s really all about what we do and we certainly need to tidy up one or two individual performances.&#8221;

Looking at possible team selections Boothroyd talked about recovering midfielder Luke Guttridge., "Luke is fine physically but I don't think he has been in the form he was in before he got injured. He is a terrific player and it shows you the quality of Lewis Hornby and his recent performances that I didn't think I could leave him out.

"Luke will get back in that team at some point because he is so determined or tenacious to do so. When you leave a player of Luke Guttridge's quality out it says to the rest of the squad that nobody is safe and that everybody must perform at all times."

Joe Widdowson will complete a two-match suspension while fellow defender David Artell is back to full fitness after an Achilles injury.

This will certainly be a stern test of Rovers&#8217; resolve, but after the stirring second half performance on Saturday they showed they were able to take it up to the other form team in the Division and trade blows. A point from Sixfields would be a very creditable result.

16. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Cobblers boss previews Rovers clash

Cobblers boss Aidy Boothroyd previews Tuesday night&#8217;s visit of in-form Bristol Rovers to Sixfields.

Rovers are unbeaten in their last six away games, and the Cobblers know they will be tough opposition.

&#8220;I think we are due a good performance and I&#8217;m looking forward to the game,&#8221; he said.

&#8220;Bristol Rovers are a big club at this level and I know that because I played for them. I also know John Ward very well having worked with him at Colchester.

&#8220;It doesn&#8217;t surprise me that their results have picked up and we&#8217;ve got to make sure that we don&#8217;t become another statistic on their record.

&#8220;The referee did get a bit of stick from both benches on Saturday but he got the key decision about the goal right.

&#8220;In fairness to John Sheridan he text me to say well done and it was a fair goal so that shows you what a good lad he is.

&#8220;The performance wasn&#8217;t what we wanted but the result was and looking back on it I was pleased.

&#8220;What we&#8217;ve got to do is stay in the pack for the top three, there are going to be lots of twists and turns but we&#8217;ve just got to really knuckle down and look at the teams above us rather than the teams below us.

&#8220;We know on our day that we can beat any of the teams in and around us but we also know that we can lose to any of those teams as well.

&#8220;It&#8217;s a very open division and the three most consistent teams are going to get those top three slots.

&#8220;That&#8217;s what we&#8217;ve got to aim for and if we can maintain what we are doing then we won&#8217;t be too far away.&#8221;

17. Gasheadseamge79

Forum Moderator

Looks like our Evil (post) friends are going for.....

Mildenhall

Smith_Parkes_McChrystal_Brown

Woodards_O'Toole_Norburn

Anyinsah_Brunt_Richards

18. pirate49

pirate49 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'd happily take a draw tonight or a narrow defeat with a good performance.
    There's enough evidence now to show we're on the right track; and the odd
    setback is going to come along now and then.

19. atcham jack

atcham jack Well-Known Member

matty h used to do the donky work on the pitch. hope he is soon fit. good luck tonight, 2-0 to the gas.

20. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

i can see mcdonald starting tonight along side mcchrystal which allows parkes to go in a more of a central defensive midfield role. i hope im wrong though. be great to keep the back 4 together once again.