1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic No words...only tears...

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by wishiwasinliverpool, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

It's grammar, not spelling. :emoticon-0126-nerd:

2. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Deluded or what?

In the aftermath of this, nuance is easily lost but no less important than ever. To observe that an act of terrorism was religiously-motivated does not mean responsibility for it is shared by all the perpetrator’s co-religionists. And yet it remains reasonable to ask what motivated the bomber, who inspired him, whose writings or teachings or words gave him the serenity and security of ‘righteousness’ and ask what can be done to counter this. We ask because we need to know and because knowing can aid the process of doing something, however imperfectly, about it..............<ok>

3. Prince Knut

In my case, it's true... :emoticon-0108-speec

Tobes likes this.
  4. Milk not bear jizz

Milk not bear jizz Grasser-In-Chief

Honestly, I would have let it go anywhere else. I really don't care too strongly about grammar on forums.

If you call someone a dummy though, make sure you're not doing some primary school error.

Tobes and * Record Points Total like this.
  5. DragonPhilljack

You don't say Sherlock..........<laugh>

6. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

Actually here in Ulster is a perfect example of my point. Both sides deliberately mixed their religious beliefs with their political aspirations. Discourse was simply highlighting the evils and "otherness" of the other community.

When your beliefs are attacked in a generalised way..they become entrenched with no inner reflection. To suggest change is to be a traitor and helping the other side.

The irony in Ulster is that from the religious perspective both sides extreme views were identical...patriarchal, intolerant, strict adherence.

It's no coincidence that since the peace process ideas of women's, gay rights etc have come to the fore.. the fear of betraying "your side" has been degraded so people start asking questions about views held within their own community ..

BobbyD and * Record Points Total like this.
  7. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

I don't know who wrote that, as it defo wasn't you, but it's not something I would argue with, aside from the fact that we can't ignore that this isn't a religious war these people are fighting, it's in no small part a war of retaliation. The so called Islamic teachings that inspire the acts of martyrdom are only one part of it.

8. Prince Knut

Isn't that what Tobes said? That 's different than employing Muzzy wranglers to round up all the followers of Mecca, and the hysterical reaction to the FACT that we must carry on our normal lives as much as we can, that you espouse and cite several reactionary mouthpieces to endorse.

Tobes likes this.
  9. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

I think we turned him mid thread mate <laugh>

10. DragonPhilljack

So how does that work then? carry on as normal, until the next lot of kids are blown up? and the next, and so on, very intelligent this carry on as normal, how do the families of the dead 'Carry on as normal'?........<ok>

11. DragonPhilljack

Muslim religious centres here in the UK, need far more scrutiny, compliance, and far stricter vetting than what is happening currently, The Charities commission needs to investigate the ideology and censure that which is not compatible with our British values, and Immigration controls from all Muslim countries needs tightening, that would be a start..........<ok>

12. BobbyD

BobbyD President

This is beautiful.

You are right, one of my worries is that i think we have a good balance between liberalism and law and order. You can do what you want as long as it doesn't break our fairly relaxed laws. You can't be a vigilante, you can't write hate speech but you can be homosexual and most things need to be equal.

What happens when the majority do not want this such as very traditional religion (and it's even seen among old white people, let alone imported cultures for whatever reasons). What happens when this becomes the norm and you head backwards (see Erdogan who has sort of done it by force but has a large support). This is something i do not take lightly but you can't expect a person to just suddenly embrace all our ideas.

DirtyFrank likes this.
  13. BobbyD

BobbyD President

1 thing i would advocate is the shutting down of these islamic free schools that have cropped up in places. It should just be a general curriculum across the whole of the UK. Just no to free schools in general

14. Prince Knut

I much the same way we carried on as 'normal' after Aberfan, Filidamide, the IRA, and the horrific annual toll of kids slaughtered on our street by motor cars. Is it showing disrespect or something to mourn, but to carry on?

15. moreinjuredthanowen

Isn't it not a free society where we all agree on something needs to be done then do it.. as in we vote to give something up

If we simply stated ok, lets vote... do we want police to be able to arrest on suspicions on etc etc and have to show their evidence in a court of law then?

it seems the more said the more circumstantial evidence there was and I think someone in the peopel tasked with protecting us is extremely frustrated cos he/she knew but could not do anything due to the law

I doubt that it would be admitted but i doubt this is a total shock that this guy did this.

mighty_stevie_g and BobbyD like this.
  16. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

So if we don't carry on as normal and show defiance after one of these attacks, what are we supposed to do instead then brains?

17. DirtyFrank

DirtyFrank Well-Known Member

Well the BBC disscusion about the bomber today was interesting...neighbours saying he would stand on the street shouting prayers in arabic...had at one point a black flag flying outside his house..

The security expert responded to this with well, that's fine but did any those same neighbours think at anytime of ringing the police?

Now normally I'd say this was a good point but I think he had in mind..the security services because if you rang your local station what is the bets you'd be seen as a far right crank if white? They may take it more seriously if the neighbour ringing was from the same ethic origins me thinks.

It's that balance of treating concerns seriously without automatically assuming "racist" but not delving into racial or religious profiling

DragonPhilljack and BobbyD like this.
  18. carlthejackal

carlthejackal Well-Known Member

The emotional impact after this has been huge. I can say without any fear of contradiction that the only thing that comes even close to it was the 7/7 bombing. The sight of little girls being attacked and killed injured and running for their lives bring the most hardened amongst us to tears. Whilst the Westmminster attack led to outrage and sympathy this one is, was and will be on a different scale.

There is not a simple solution. Otherwise we would have done it ages ago. Unfortunately the simplistic solution of attacking the religion will be promoted not only by this swansea fan but many others. Most sane fair minded people can see that the vast majority of people from that religion are totally innocent of these ideologies and crimes, and more importantly do not support any of it. But like the chap Phil asks: "are we going to sit back and do nothing?". This is what happens when there is an outrage so emotionally shocking: there is a clamour for immediate action.

I haven't thought this through completely but my gut reaction is that the muslim community must start listening to the other communities and work out a solution. If the elders and/or people running these places of worship made it clear that this kind of action is utterly condemned by the religion, that these actions do not constitute martyrdom, and these are really crimes against the religion and against their god, then it might help a little. To say it in unambiguous terms to all and loudly will help all the communities too. Both publicly and privately. There is this feeling (not certain how true) that the elders are being timid in the face of more dynamic and radical opponents and that some youth are being swayed by the radical elements.

19. moreinjuredthanowen

there was more apparently.

the imam in the mosque said he argued with him from an anti jihad point of view but again he didn't report the guy.

If i saw a guy screaming far right **** outside a non white home i would ring the cops... wouldn't you?

The thing is.... do they have a dedicated anti terror number... not just sergeant plod who takes calls about lost puppies.... if i rang in the local cop shop i'd wonder if the tip would go up the chain frankly.

The one thing is at least there's no citizen saying I report this ****er and you did nothing.... that's one at least thing that doesn't say incompetence

20. Prince Knut

NBC is reporting that US intelligence is saying that his family HAD reported him to the police as being dangerous.

DragonPhilljack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.