1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

No game Saturday ???

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by alwaysright, Jan 9, 2017.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Been looking at the weather forecast for Saturday --- I really don't fancy getting up at 5am, travelling hundreds of miles, and returning home on Sunday from a game that 'doesn't happen.'

Heavy snow is forecast in Oldham all day on Friday - and into the night. Followed ( around dawn ), by light rain - and, of course, temperatures around freezing. There is a serious likelihood that the pitch will be unplayable.

Can any of our 'Northern Elite' tell us if Oldham FC have any protection for their pitch............. plenty of that in my warm bed !

2. Old Timer in Cyprus

Old Timer in Cyprus Active Member

Stay in your igloo A/R. Remember Captain Oates

3. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

At the moment I think that a frozen pitch is more likely to be a problem than snow. That said at the moment it's relatively warm, so the snow would fall on a relatively warm surface. If they leave it on the pitch until Saturday morning it'll actually help protect the pitch against really low temperatures.

That said Boundary Park is one of the higher altitude grounds in the league, (Wikipedia : "Boundary Park is anecdotally known as being the coldest ground in the Football League, earning the nickname coined by Joe Royle, Ice Station Zebra.[6] It is also the third-highest stadium, at 509 feet (155m) above sea level, of any Premier League or Football League club[7] after the Hawthorns, home of West Bromwich Albion, 551 feet (168m) and Vale Park, home of Port Vale, 525 feet (160m))" and even though they now have a stand on the Northern side that was an empty space for several seasons it is undoubtedly more prone to being affected by bad weather than most other local grounds as it's in a pretty open area.

As the bad weather is forecast I'm sure they'll do their best to protect the pitch and get the game on, but I reckon a look at the news and weather on Friday night will give you a better idea of the possibilities.

If JED were still in charge I'd have definitely said don't bother, but Aidy's first match might be interesting.

A further point - Gills usually stay away overnight for these fixtures, so they would probably want to make a decision on Friday whether to travel to avoid unnecessary hotel costs.

4. alwaysright

Thanks Tim
    It's a pity the North stand was built - it now blocks the only thing worth looking at !

The weather forecast doesn't help with my plans. A lot of snow is forecast on Friday. By the time I reach the coach pick up point, I will have made a considerable commitment regarding time and money - and that's before the very long trip ( at further expense ) - which has, at this stage, a high probability of being 'for nothing.'

You make a good point about the travel arrangements of the Club - but at least the players won't be out of pocket if the game is called off......... ( as you know, with me it's more about the time I have to start for journeys to Lancashire ), -- and if it is called off, it will mean that the rearrangement will be an evening kick off ( messing up the best part of two days ).

5. itstimupnorth

I still think that frost is a bigger threat than snow.

I take your point about committing to cost in advance, and agree that any re-arranged match is likely to be midweek, which I know is not much fun for you. At the moment I think there is a far greater chance that the game will go ahead than not - even the night temperatures predicted are pretty manageable - but obviously there is a risk. So if you don't really fancy the chance of a trip to Oldham on a Tuesday night sometime in February or March (and who does, really?) you're probably better off planning to be tucked up in front of the TV with a libation of your choice.

6. alwaysright

I told you it would snow.
    I want to go to Oldham - but the risk of postponement has significantly increased - before more heavy snowfall ( forecast in the North West )...................
    Oh well, I shall have to be content with Spurs v W.B.A (no chance of decent football skills) - and I will not be STANDING in front of my armchair !!!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  7. itstimupnorth

About 1/2" where I live (and that's higher than Boundary Park). Got tram into work this morning (via Oldham), everything working perfectly OK, just a bloody cold wind.

Maybe a few showers this afternoon and a bit of a frost tonight, but I reckon that the biggest obstacle to you not watching the match up here tomorrow will be getting out of Kent and the travel up here.

:emoticon-0157-sun::emoticon-0157-sun:

8. alwaysright

My biggest obstacle will be getting out of bed and I don't mean getting past Mrs. alwaysright ! -

Actually - I have a 30+ yard long driveway from my garage to the roadway. I've been 'snowed in' before - taking me a couple of hours to clear a route to the road - and I live at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac - ( no snow clearance by much traffic ) - so it doesn't bode well for me at 5am ( and it's snowing outside as I type ). B E DDDDD

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017