1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Nicholas Bendtner

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by The Bonstar Wandit, Jan 2, 2014.

1. The Bonstar Wandit

The Bonstar Wandit Well-Known Member

Absolutely gutted for him. He came on, played well, scored a vital goal, and it was all set for him to stake a claim to lead the line with Giroud out and possibly for longer should Wenger not invest this month, and he gets injured.

He's fit, and looks sharp, but now he's out for several weeks. What would it take for you to see him worthy of a new contract? Or has that ship sailed? How close is he to Giroud in terms of ability?

2. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Any new contract would be subject to his overall performance this whole season. If he's doing well on the pitch and with his attitude, then maybe. But both Giroud and Bendy are too similar and more importantly, not world class. I would still go for another player and stick with Giroud as backup, Bendy is too much work.

3. omogooner

omogooner Well-Known Member

He was hungry when he came on, Pod like the rest of the team in the first half were very ponderous. I think B52 is the closest we have to Giroud. I don't know if that is a good thing or not.

4. PeterRICK

PeterRICK Well-Known Member

Bendtner has always been a reasonable player. Not as bad as the pundits say and not nearly as good as he believes but he can certainly do a job. Saying that, there's too much water under the bridge for me I'm afraid. I appreciate his effort recently but the fact he's been a mahoosive bellend for so many years can't be forgotten simply because he's scored a couple of goals. Added to which he's almost the same player as Giroud and I'd rather a different type of striker as a plan B/C.

5. ShanksHateTheMancs

May turn out to be a blessing in disguise! Should force Wenger to bring in a striker, which with the form you are in, he may not have done due to January value! On a further note; looking at Wenger's comments on Solskjaer; I could listen to his opinions forever. Hope when he retires he is given some sort of role in the FA!

6. Murray

Murray Active Member

Not as bad as the pundits say, eh? Ignoring that the pundits aren't the ones who've been slating and calling him **** for the last two years. That would be the fans.

7. lazarus20000

Bendtner is a good player and seems to find a way to score key goals for us. He has good power, good in the air, holds up play well and has a decent shot.
    I think he's shot himself in the foot with his attitude to be honest. Had he remained on course, he would have been a better player than he is at the moment, and Wenger wouldn't have bothered bringing Giroud in.

8. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

I wondered what the injury was <ok>

9. lazarus20000

. <laugh>

10. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Bendtner is arrogant, lazy and failed to live up his his undoubted potential.

He has repeatedly tried to leave Arsenal yet nobody has been interested in paying his rather inflated wages.

The Cardiff game was Bendtners 168th appearance for Arsenal! (Eek) But I guess there is still the possibility he could work hard get it together and finally become the player he promised to be as a youngster.

Chance are that won't happen though.

11. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

Right now the fans that slate our players can't get anything right. Every time they start picking on someone, he comes good.

Bendtner did not fit the team a few years ago, when we played with a slightly different style. Now we need a bigger front man, who is good in the air and on the ground, to make up for our undersized midfield, he fits the bill perfectly.

Unfortunately, I think he became a little discouraged when he didn't fit in and went off the rails, but he was always a decent player who could score goals in a team that suited him like his international squad.

Hopefully, he can recover and come back to do a job for us. We could do a lot worse.

12. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

So ****ing pack it in <grr>

13. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

:D

14. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

This <ok>

15. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

If there's a player that deserves a bit of slating it's Nicholas.

Alongside countless lackluster performances the big Dane has spoken of his desire to leave on numerous occasions. You can't blame fans for giving him a bit of hostility.

The reason I like Giroud is that he gives everything. He wants to be here and he works his arse off on the pitch.

If Bendtner does the same I will get behind him.

16. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Years ago i used to defend Bendtner, he had obvious potential and he was scoring important goals for us at one point. He has been at the club through a period where there have been very good strikers in the squad and so he was always going to find it difficult to remain in the team year in year out if he wasn't able to show the right attitude. Unfortunately for him he made all the wrong decisions, got lazy, thought he was better than he was and ultimately put himself in a position where he didn't want to be here and we didn't want to have him.

He had an ok loan spell at Sunderland and then a rubbish loan spell at Juventus where he was unfit, had niggling injuries and never got scoring. Then in the summer we had a deal in place for him to go to Crystal Palace only for us to pull the plug when we needed cover for Giroud. I think the fact he was willing to go and play at Crystal Palace shows he has changed the way he thinks of himself, maybe he has learned something from his failures and has a little humilty. He looks a lot less arrogant than he used to when he is on the pitch.

Just before this game Wenger had said Bendtner was back to the point he wanted him at with fitness and training and if he continued to develop the way he has been so far this season Wenger could see him having more of a role to play in the team. For a player who it looekd had no chance of making a return at Arsenal he has to be given credit to have impressed the Manager and come in and scored the goals for us he has in limited game time. Feel bad for him to have been injured at this particular point in time.

If a new striker arrives in January though he'll struggle to get back into the fold. Now was hsi chance to prove himself and so it's really unlucky for him to pick up this injury.

Either way for me we need a new striker please :p

17. PeterRICK

PeterRICK Well-Known Member

Yes pundits/media. He's been a running joke for the last year in particular and even Saturday morning he was being slated on Sky with their pre match round ups. He's an easy target with his attitude which is probably why they ignore statistics like him scoring more goals from open play than the likes of Soldado... ;)

Oh, and Arsenal fans are entitled to be disgruntled with Bendtner after years of twattish behaviour.

18. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Sadly he is now out for a month. Wenger confirmed it yesterday. Talk about bad luck.