1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Next up - Bristol City away

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Bloody typical, I move half way around the world and I miss a tv game followed by my local away day. Just isn't remotely fair!

I thought they would be top 10 this season - spent a good penny and stumbled across Abraham. I went to City v Newcastle earlier in the season and the robins are a good side with a chance of the play offs. If any of you do go, the new stand is impressive - however it does give the ground a slightly unbalanced feel to it ala Elland Road. The new bar in the other newish stand opposite the away end is cracking. I digress!

They seem on a bit of a wobbly run after a promising early start to the campaign. I really like Luke Freeman - I think he's a very busy and technically sound player who I'd love us to sign.

I think this will be a tough fought affair and perhaps a draw. 1-1 I'll go, and a result that wouldn't see either set of fans massively happy. That said, providing we followed that up with 3 vs Cardiff I'd be more than happy with this.

COYB.

2. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I think this is a banker draw - I'll stick my neck out and go 2-2, with McG and Dougie putting us into a 2-0 lead before will implode in the 2nd half.
    I have to say, and I'm sure it's much to the disgust of a lot on here, I actually don't mind both Skuse and Douglas playing together - especially as Mick now seems to favour an attacking front four of Ward, Mcg, Lawrence and AN Other (Sears/Varney/Best). If Douglas was a few years younger, then I think he'd be exactly what we need - but alas, his best days are definitely long gone.

3. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I think we'll win this one.. In the classic MM way, do very little and make the game boring and uneventful but snatch a goal (much like Derby away a few weeks ago)

1-0 away win. Pitman coming off the bench to grab a late winner

4. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

2-1 Ipswich win.

5. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Another 3-0 victory ...with Mick shouting from the rooftops that he was right all along and the fans know Feck all.........and that we will be looking to add in January but won't be held to ransom.........

6. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

Not that it makes any difference whatsoever, but I've just noticed that there's been only one this occasion this season where we've had the same result in the next game (ie, two wins/draws/defeats in a row) - hopefully I've now given it the kiss of death

7. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

The QPR result will prove to be another false dawn.

Bristol 2 Town 1

8. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

We usually lose there so I ll take a draw anytime, the new stand is most impressive and when you think that the away fans didn't get a back to their seats when I first went there it represents a great improvement, it shows what can be achieved when the owner puts his money into the Club.

Westlake33 likes this.
  9. Westlake33

Likewise Stretchy - if Douglas and Skuse play with two wingers who have license to attack and a front 2, I have no issue at all. I do have an issue if it's a back 7, wingers not allowed to push on, and an isolated striker with this combination definitely!

Put it this way, in a 4-4-2 with the aforementioned system - what other options do we have?

* Williams really isn't a CM in a 2, and while he was fantastic at Hillsborough when he came on the game was at that stage as open as a prostitute. We were quality going forwards but could so easily have been slapped on the break. If we're going to play this way then Jonny sadly for him is the go to sub. IF we go to a variety of
    4-3-3 Jonny would go straight in.

* Bishop was bravely tried in a flat 2 at Hillsborough and sadly didn't offer enough protection or any drive going forward. Glad to have him back however he'd also benefit from 4-3-3.

* Bru - WOEFUL at Brentford in a flat 4-4-2. I for one am very glad Mr Bru isn't starting games and doesn't appear to be coming on.

Ideally I want Bish, Williams and McGoldrick all in the lineup however that means 4-3-3 and McGoldrick alone to lead the line is not ideal.....

10. Westlake33

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was the score either Jonny. We're very hot and cold at the minute.

11. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

Whilst I haven't seen too many games this season for me the problem with 442 is that we don't seem to have a good balance in the middle. In years gone past in a 442 we generally haven't played with defensive midfielders we've played with 2 central midfielders who both contribute equally defensively and attacking and I think hear lies our problem and is perhaps why particularly Bishop has struggled. Again what I'm hunting at is in a 442 Skuse needs to contribute more. We need to be far more fluid as a team when we attack and the moment it seems very disjointed we have players who attack and others who don't as I've said before we need to attack as a team, I haven't seen this under Mick. It is a shame he doesn't have the mantra he has for attacking as he does defending as a team.

San Diego likes this.
  12. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

itfcptc,you hit the nail on the head.Mick has always been more concerned about not losing then he is with trying to win games.I feel if we get a good result these days it is more by accident(Sheffield Wednesday) or error by the opposition(QPR).

San Diego likes this.
  13. fieldmarshall

Slightly off topic but for anyone who's driving to the match park at the cricket club, they've a bar where youre welcomed, a 5 minute walk from the ground, and easy to get in and out from.

14. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

No POTD for Ipswich fans only 150 tickets left for them

Good following lads well done,long journey.

Me i'm going for a 2-1 win to you guys if he plays Tammy upfront on his own,However we are hoping Engval our swedish 2.5 million striker finally gets a go up top alongside Tammy, who has been taken out of the game by two defenders in recent weeks.

If we do change formation,we may just win it.

Have a safe journey over guys,always followed the tractor boys from my school days as my second team,when the great team was together.

Everybody followed the big boys as the second team,me it was Ipswich the football produced by that great team was breathtaking.

15. johnnywarksmoustache

How we long for those days to return again RR but alas some hope especially with our dinosaur manager!

It will be a tight game but I can see your boys edging it 2-1 and hopefully McCarthy will be another step closer to the trap door but I doubt it!

16. Red Robin

I would love a win,but watching city is a rollercoaster of a ride.

MM is old school,i think your right regards his time with you,however a lot he says is good.You have a very loyal owner,a bit like our own owner Steve Lansdown.

p.s our new ground is fully developed now,you should like what you see.

17. johnnywarksmoustache

What kind of reception will Skusey get being a local lad and all that?

18. Red Robin

His best mate works for me <cool> he will get a rousing clap he is one of our own,Cole watched city from the terraces as a lad,started out playing at Yate Utd as a young lad,the rest they say is history.

19. johnnywarksmoustache

I first watched a game at Ashton Gate back in the days of Gerry Gow et al! Proves how fooking young I am! <laugh>

Red Robin likes this.
  20. fieldmarshall

Thanks for the kind words RR but believe me our owner is nothing like Mr Lansdown, unfortunately.