1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

next season

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by old timer, Mar 12, 2017.

1. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Whether we are in the same division or the championship what and where do people think that the team needs to be strengthened

My opinions are

If possible sign Lumley Sweeney James and Harris
    If it is not possible to sign those three I believe Harris is on contract until season ends so hope fully he would want to stay then 2 GKs A CB 2 MF and a ST
    If he is interested offer Lee Mansell a player / coach position. The above are with the current 1st team squad being offered new contracts.
    I am not convinced that Montano and Moore have what it takes to take this team upwards and onwards and if DC thinks that or that others are not good enough then replacements for them would be needed

2. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I can't see Sweeney ever playing for Stoke if they need another CB to replace injured players etc then they will must luckily just spend 10million on a replacement so they should just let us have him for nothing :D Lumley seems to be highly rated at QPR however apparently he will only get a chance if they sell their other two GKS. Even if both clubs agreed to sell them it doesn't mean either player would want to sign for us anyway I can imagine Sweeny wanted to play at least Championship football if he wants to get himself called up to the Irish national senor squad but you never know. :emoticon-0148-yes:

IMO what we need if we take out the loanees of current squad

2 GKS

2 CB

1 CM

1 or 2 CF

3. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

It would be good to sign a permanent keeper because some of the options this season haven't been so good. I really think the squad is pretty good. It would be great to snap up a prolific striker from the National League, but even if we don't I think we'll be fine.

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  4. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Keepers:
    I think Mildenhall and Puddy will be let go. So we need 2 keepers. A permanent keeper would be my choice too Gastro. But I wouldnt say no to Lumley joining on a season long loan though if we couldnt sign him on a permanent deal.

Defenders:
    Im happy with the defence to be honest as we got competition now in each position. The break that Brown had recently has gave him a kick the arse and has improved. If we can keep what we got and re-sign Sweeney then great news. Not sure if we will get Jake Clarke-Salter back but we will have the goal machine Peter Hartley back! So keep the defence and re-sign Sweeney.

Midfielders:
    We already know the 3 CM's have signed a new contract - Lines, Ollie and Sinclair. I think Mansell will not be kept on so we will need another CM as 3 alone will not be enough. Both Montano and Moore have at times been quiet and at times been good. I would keep them both unless someone better becomes available of course.

Strikers:
    We need goal scorers. James is not im afraid. I know he was DC's choice to replace Taylor but although he works hard, we need goals from him and he hasnt got 1 yet. I dont think Harrison is good enough. I dont think Gaffney scores enough but im happy to keep him on. Easter will be gone too of course. I think we will need 3 strikers.

So thats...

Re-sign Lumley
    Sign another keeper
    Re-sign Sweeney
    Sign 1 CM.
    Sign 3 strikers

Just 7 players. But sign another player for each player that leaves us that I havent mentioned. I think we will sign a lot more players as I been told we are looking to enter a team into the U23's league so will need players to make an U23 team!

5. old timer

Maybe that's why we have so many trialists in the central league teams CJS to try and discover talent that so far has not been used by other clubs

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  6. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Thats what I think is the case. We will soon find out in the summer I guess!

7. old timer

We have all ready been told that Sinclair, Clarke and Lines have signed new contracts, On Rovers news there is a piece about next season from Steve Hamer who has said that the following players are under contract for next season

Bodin
    Leadbitter
    Hartley
    Moore
    Partington
    Burn
    Brown
    Lockyer

That would seem to be a good basis for the team to progress next season

I did notice that both Harrison and Gaffney were missing from that list so I am wondering if a completely new strike force will be in place for next season

8. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I guess it depends what league we are in. They aint good enough for the next level so wouldnt want to get stuck with them. To be honest, they aint good at this level either but Gasffney works hard however Harrison has struggled to impress me.