1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Next season championship contenders

Discussion in 'Reading' started by SuffolkRoyal, May 18, 2013.

1. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

As we look forward to next season in the championship, who are the big contenders for the promotion places?

Leicester, Forest, Bolton, either one of Watford and Palace, Burnley and Birmingham seem likely for me.

Brighton may struggle to emulate this seasons form with all the uncertainty surrounding Poyets future, although I wouldn't write them off altogether. Leeds could be there at the end with McDermott at the helm, he's a great championship manager used to working with very little. Ipswich could be a good outside bet under McCarthy.

Normally I would fancy Blackpool to make a challenge for promotion but, under Ince, I reckon the best they will do is around mid table. I would like to see Blackburn there at the finish but that is probably unlikely all the time the Venkys are involved with the club, in fact they could be involved in another relegation scrap.

Of the relegated clubs I think Wigan will fare best and could go straight back up. QPR may have to regroup because its likely they'll lose some of their mercenaries, although I don't agree with the grim outlook of their manager. As for us, we have a new manager who champions good football and a new owner who says he'll make money available. I don't think we'll be promotion contenders next season but reckon we could make a top ten place, with view to a serious promotion push the following season.

2. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the Championship will be a hard league to get out of next season and it's hard to predict, but if I was putting my money anywhere, I would probably put it on Reading.

3. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

Lots of our fans would agree with you but I take a more cautious approach. As you say, it a tough division.

4. THE ROAR

THE ROAR Active Member

Most exciting division and unpredictable leaque, who expected wolves to go down? Wigan ,reading you have been warned<yikes>

5. Tilehurstsouthbank

Really buzzing for the new season. Adkins style of play was really starting to show at the end of the last campaign and with the new blood coming in it's going to be pretty exciting!

6. daib0

daib0 Well-Known Member

Let's face it, it's all guess work or football managers would always win the jackpot.
    Here's my guess work:
    Reading and Blackpool to get automatic promotion - in the mix for play-offs could be Leeds, Wigan, Boro, and ... anyone

7. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

Daib0, we're all entitled to our opinion, and you can be forgiven for your loyalty to Reading, regardless of how misguided it is, but how can you even contemplate Blackpool being anywhere near the promotion places when they have Paul Ince as manager and an owner who won't spend any money.

Sorry mate, I think you're well off the mark with both your predictions for automatic promotion. I'll bet Leicester and Bolton against your Reading and Blackpool.

8. daib0

daib0 Well-Known Member

Ha-ha, look at my erratic RR history of predicting - either right up there challenging for top predicting honours or flat on my face in embarrassment, never in between!! Which will it be in 2013-14?!

9. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

Yeah, mines only bravado as well. You watch Bournemouth and Yeovil put us in our place LOL

10. Tilehurstsouthbank

So where do you think Reading will finish Suffolk?

11. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

I've said all along I believe we'll finish in the top ten with an outside chance of a play off place. And I'll stick with that.

12. daib0

daib0 Well-Known Member

Hang on, Suffolk, we're NOT in the premier this year!!!!

13. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

Nor any guarantee's of being there next year.

We will struggle to get promotion next season and I just like to balance the argument of those who, seemingly, think its just a formality.

14. Tilehurstsouthbank

No guts, no glory, I'm going top two! :D

15. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

I did that with Reading for around 25 of my 48 years supporting them. It took me that long until reality kicked in.

You may well see better years than I have, but, if not, I guarantee, when you're an old stager like me, you'll be saying exactly the same.

16. Tilehurstsouthbank

Perhaps. Lots of things change as you get older. Trends, opinions, but I don't think I'll ever be any less optimistic than I am. I'm just a very relaxed glass half full kinda guy! :D

17. TC (Lovely Geezer)

TC (Lovely Geezer) Well-Known Member

How does Adkins compare to McDermott?

18. BucksHornet

BucksHornet Active Member

I fully expect us to be pushing for the autos this season and see Reading as our main threat. Wigan might be in the mix but will find the extra games they have, on top of an already busy schedule, hard going.

Other teams I expect to be battling for play off places are Bolton, Forest, Leicester and maybe QPR.

Relegation... I think Blackpool, Donny, Yeovil and Birmingham will all struggle.

19. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

Tactically Adkins seems to be streets ahead of McDermott. But his post match interviews make BM's sound interesting, and believe me, that takes some doing!!!!!