1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

NEXT MANAGER?

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by DragonPhilljack, Dec 3, 2016.

1. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

BBC reporting that Curtis has left!!

2. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Very interesting. Is this why he's said what he's said I wonder about managers taken the club backwards and that players sold haven't been replaced adequately etc.

3. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Club statement saying that nothing is decided yet, although wasn't it Phil who referred to a possible illness the other day?

DragonPhilljack likes this.
  4. nifta

nifta Active Member

It's just that he won't keep his first team coach role under Clement (he's bringing in his own guys). He'll have a job at the club, but not the one he's had in recent years. A bit sad I think.

5. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

It was. I know see the club are saying he will have a role at the club so more to follow.

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  6. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

Well overdue. If it's health reasons, then let's hope it's sorted. Curtis should be put on sick leave and given however long he needs to get well.

If (as I suspect) it's professional then it's very welcome. Just my opinion but it was pretty obvious that for all his well deserved 'legend' status Curtis has got neither the ability nor the desire to manage at the top level for a sustained period, successful short stints notwithstanding.

Bradley was relying on Curtis heavily yet the management team persisted with odd choices on tactics and selection which continued against Bournemouth after Bradley had departed. Curtis must bear some responsibility for that and obviously has his favourites. His departure will bring that nonsense to an end as Clement will start with a clean sheet and players should get picked on merit - at least we hope so.

That said, I'd hate to see Curtis leave the Club and hope that doesn't happen. He can definitely contribute behind the scenes as he knows the Club inside out and we need some continuity right now. But I for one am very pleased at this news.

7. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

"Sad", for sure, but inevitable. I suspect Curtis will have a job for life in some capacity, or other.

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  8. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Perhaps he could be the next Chairman ....

With the Yanks now majority owners and in charge of all major business decisions (eg trying to purchase the Stadium etc), and with a full time Chief Operating Office, why does the Club need a highly paid Executive Chairman? It doesn't.

The Chairman's role can become more of a figure head - and who better as a front man than Curt?

ValleyGraduate12 and glamexile like this.
  9. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Surprised so immediate but not unexpected.

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  10. Taffvalerowdy

Hi Glam, how's Lanzarote? Sun's shining in Neath - but it's chilly!

You can't blame PC for wanting his own guys around him. There should have been better PR on this from the Club.

11. glamexile

24 deg yesterday Taff thanks <cool>

Just waiting for the wife to get ready for breakfast - why do women take so long!

12. glamexile

Huw's days must be numbered now I would have thought

13. Bap666

Bap666 Well-Known Member

Slightly different situation here though dont you think? Clement is being offered the job to, at best retain our PL status, and at worst bring success in the Championship I doubt Clement would have signed a contract if it didnt allow for relegation otherwise he might just as well sign for 6 months!!

Both were offered longer contracts AFTER staving off relegation. Clement on the other hand has been offered this whilst still in a relegation battle

14. glamexile

15:14 Will Curtis have any part to play with players in his new role?

CLEMENT: "He could still have influence with them, he won’t be on training field and won’t be on bench, but we want him around and having that communication with players.

"I really hope he finds a role he’s happy with at Swansea."

I was disappointed to read Huw communicated to Curt via text that he could take a few days off. Doesn't that bloke like to speak to people direct!

15. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

It,s quite possible that Clement has an out if we get relegated . Just a guess , cause all you can do these days of non transparency is guess .

16. Taffvalerowdy

"New Swansea boss Paul Clement was quizzed about his decision not to include club legend Alan Curtis in his first-team coaching staff.

Clement was very diplomatic and complimentary about Curtis but, ultimately, he doesn't want the 62-year-old as part of his backroom team.

"Alan is a legend as a player and a member of the coaching staff here," said Clement.

"We want him to stay at the club. Alan has a job here for as long as he wants it - for life if necessary.

"He is stepping aside from the first team coaching duties but I hope he stays in another role."

17. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

I agree, Curtis time is done as a coach and I think the decision is right. PC has to bring his own staff in and we need to start completely afresh. We need all new coaching staff who will look at these players with unbiased eyes and if PC thinks they are not what he wants and he outs them (if we can) and gets what we can for them financially. This for me is the only way forward. For to long there have been to close relationships between certain players and managers and coaches, I cant see this happening with PC and rightly so.

18. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Curtis got us 11 points in 9 games in some of the most desperate times we faced over two stints ....we,ll see how Clement does ....hopefully great ..but coming in with its Hes ideas or the highway worries me

19. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Yes it was me, and I'm sure that this is behind (Health Reasons) whatever new role he will have, he doesn't need at this stage of his life to be on the road with the team, and I'm pleased that the pressure will be off him now, the board have put on him enough these last 2 or 3 seasons, but 'if' Jenkins sent him a text message relieving him of his duties, then doesn't that say it all regarding Jinx?

20. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

Do you expect anything else from HJ these days, The guy is now so far up his own arse that he cant see it. I totally agree if it is by text then it is just another idiotic action to go with the thousands of idiotic actions by him over the last couple of years.