1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Next for Town,will Mick go for a Burton?

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Bigalreigned, Oct 15, 2016.

1. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Was a prediction

2. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

I do think we are far better without skuglas and yes both of those donkeys!
    I would like to see both dropped and dropped totally, not even on the bench.
    Now here's a thought, why not have Webster as your defensive midfielder, a novel idea i know, a ball playing defensive midfielder!
    That will then allow Emanuel to play right back and chambers centre back.
    Even digby would be better than skuglas and for the love of god, we dont need two sitting cm's!<doh>

3. Tony-write

Tony-write New Member

4. Tony-write

Tony-write New Member

Good idea Spanish but doubt Mick would agree he is to bloody stubborn.

5. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

We won, what a pisser! The disappointment for some must be huge but for the rest of us it's a welcome win. Burton look a decent side with fast moving fast passing mid fielders getting plenty of ball into their front players especially in the first half, but when we took the game to them and got some pace and urgency into our game through Laurence, Bishop, and Sears we looked the better side.
    With a potentially horrible trip to Newcastle coming up next it will be a real test for us as it is for most teams that go there, but whatever the result I think we can expect better performances than of late when McG, Williams, and Pitman are fit enough to start matches.

6. Spanish

Cant see didz and Williams playing more than ten games and for the sake of itfc it was a pisser!

7. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Ended up going to the game last night, first time I've been since the Norwich draw, and I didn't think we played particularly well. If Burton had fielded a decent striker, who could have put away a couple of their numerous chances, then we would have dropped points here. But hey, you can only beat what's put out in front of you and we shook off a few unwanted statistics.

Defence was reasonably solid, as usual, although Knudsen had an absolute nightmare for the last half hour (shame, as he was doing well beforehand). You'd think Chambers with his supposed valued man-management skills, if McCarthy is to be believed, would have gone over and said a few words of encouragement.

We looked all over the place when Skuse was substituted, which goes to show the influence he has there I guess.

I'm concerned going into the game at Newcastle, I can see us losing by two or three. I know we're three points off play-offs, but I can only see mid-table mediocrity, at best, unless McCarthy is prepared to compromise on aspects of his management. Be prepared to drop your favourites, don't be scared on taking the game to our opponents, and trust in the young attacking talent we have at this club. It would be nice if Evans is prepared to open the chequebook in January to get that goalscoring centre forward this team desperately need, and not rely on the usual cycle of excuses to try and justify another transfer window of relative inactivity and lack of strong investment.

8. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

I think we'll return to our favorite 0-0 scoreline.. Which I think will be met far more favorably than any other draw so far this season.

9. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

If the Owls win their game in hand we'll be six points of the play offs.

10. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Don't think playing a centre back out of position would sit well with fans.....

11. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

My full fit starting eleven would be:

Bart

Emmanuel
    Smith
    Webster
    Knudsen

Skuse
    Bishop

Ward
    Grant
    Lawrence

Sears

Plenty of pace and excitement in that team while more or less retaining our defensive solidity.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  12. Spanish

Mine would be

Bart

Emanuel
    Chambers
    Berra
    Kenlock

Ward
    Webster
    Bish
    Lawrence

Williams
    Best

13. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Defensively we're absolutely superb, joint best in the league.

Whether people rate Chambo or Knudsen at full back, they are keeping clean sheets quite regularly so going to disregard whatever anyone comes out with about us defensively.

Going forward is another issue, however we have cause to be optimistic. I think it's quite right to say our season hinges on the fitness of Williams / McGoldrick for certain and to a lesser extent Bishop. That said, Lawrence seems to be hitting his stride, Ward has been superb so we do have a bit of depth. The injuries haven't helped so far but it's a major relief to have Freddy back.

Somehow we're 3 points off the magic 6th. Season very much alive.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  14. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

I think outstanding displays by Bart have been a big factor in the number of clean sheets we are keeping. If you'd seen much of our defending first half last night, against Burton Albion (who've hardly been pulling up trees)"superb" is not the word you would use!

Chambers is still very vunerable at RB meaning whoever is in front of him has to continually track back and double up with him giving us limited options when we win the ball back. Knudsen,whilst gradually improving, is far from solid on the other side.

Berra and Webster form an effective enough central pairing but both are guilty of repeatedly humping the ball upfield without any thought of trying to control the ball and pick out a blue shirt.

Spanish likes this.
  15. Spanish

The only reason we have clean sheets is coz basically Mick plays a back 6, this is what causes the lack of goals. Mick is sacrificing goals for clean sheets, so ****ing obvious, dont fall into his trap by thinking the back 4 are great coz they aint, its all down to defence first tactics!
    Sorry westy but think you are being rather blinkered!

16. Spanish

Westy
    As for disregarding anything anyone says about our defence is being a ****er imo!

17. Spanish

One win and some are suddenly optimistic, there is **** all to be optimistic about imo, this club is going nowhere under MM and the sooner he goes the better!
    Westy how does one goal mean Freddy is back? Do you think didz will make a big difference if he gets fit? I can't see it personally and think him highly overrated and as for Williams, will he last more than 2 months before getting injured? Nah don't think so.

18. Westlake33

Fair questions them Spanish I was thinking about that on my commute home - we all live sleep breathe it.

Okay defensively, whatever way you look at it it's working. Sure at times it's more like 9-1-1 but if we're going to get a clean sheet we're obviously never going to lose a game. I agree with other posters that we've been somewhat lucky to get these - looking at the Burton highlights on Sky they SHOULD have netted. However, watching the Villa game via t'web we were impossible to break down.

I would say we clear as day need more of a balance and more bodies to go forward - one side of the coin we will score more ( obviously ) however we will then start to ship more. It's a case of how we go about it. Lawrence's assist for Sears goal was sublime. We have as has been mentioned by many on numerous other articles plenty of potential going forward and some depth.

Sears back - Okay Spanish I basically meant " he's scored, good for the lad, can he push on, lets hope so ". Up to him really! Mick's fault out of position or Sears needing to up it - clearly a bit of both.

As for Williams and McGoldrick - like you say Spanish both are sadly likely to break down but I think they add so much to us when fully fit and on song. Williams signing is fantastic - I didn't realise until I read somewhere on TWTD we ONLY pay his wages when he's fully fit. So it's risk free and isn't throwing £££ down the toilet ala Stewart. Worth it surely.

Well, we're only three points off the magic zone. I agree we've been toilet going forward, however we have had a lot of injuries and some players probably haven't yet reached peak fitness. Gotta believe we've got half a chance - while I remain doubtful of this ( I think there are numerous other sides with better players / bigger budgets this term ) we've positioned ourselves into keeping intouch and after such a crap start from an attacking point of view, we're not done.

Spanish likes this.
  19. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Sheffield drew their game so it's only four points, could've been six that we were behind.
    McG has quality but I can't help thinking that he takes the selfish option too often.

20. Westlake33

Ah yes forgot Wendy had a game in hand.

I would just love McGoldrick and Williams to have 30 games each in them and both perform but sadly it just seems so very unlikely :( !