1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New stadium thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by humanbeingincroydon, Apr 16, 2015.

1. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

An updated plan for the new stadium has appeared on the Haringey Council's website - the changes appear to be an underground car park.

Sadly, judging by the diagram for the new stadium, it appears my suggestion that the site of Arseway be used as a public convenience has been ignored...

please log in to view this image

2. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

3. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

If it keeps the cost of the stadium down and the football pitch is going to be kept seperate and in good nick I couldn't care less if they turn the stadium into a petting zoo between games. I'm all for having the NFL there from time to time, their season isn't all that long, is it @redwhiteandermblue ?

4. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's been suggested that the two normal dressing rooms can be merged into one, somehow.
    That would allow each side access to similar facilities.

The Guardian ran a story a couple of days ago claiming that there would be a retractable pitch:
    http://www.theguardian.com/football...w-stadium-400m-artificial-pitches-nfl-matches

It does seem that the club are trying to attract an NFL franchise or may have already done so.
    As long as it doesn't negatively impact the playing surface, then I'm not particularly bothered.

5. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

But the two football (soccer?) dressing rooms are a long way apart.

I agree about NFL matches being a good thing in general though.

6. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

If it brings money in and doesn't affect the pitch or our ability to prioritise Spurs in the scheduling of games, then I'm all for it. if it doesn't tick any of those three boxes then we should avoid.

7. humanbeingincroydon

It was first suggested eighteen months ago that, by allowing the Jacksonville Nomads to pitch up at WHL2, we would be allowed to increase the capacity from 56,000 to around 65,000.

It's probably not going to happen, though, considering that since the initial plan was floated The FA have been bending over backwards to try and get the NFL to move the Nomads to Wembley so that the team has the biggest possible stadium/The FA can pay off a large chunk of the overspend on Wembley (delete as applicable) which would likely put the kibosh on it.

8. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

What has it got to do with the FA? If we do a better job of enticing the NFL franchise than they do then its fair game. What we do with our stadium on non-match days is up to us. Like YV said, if a petting zoo brings in the dollars then go for it.

Nabbing an NFL franchise to play at the ground would be a real coup for the club imo.

9. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

The FA have literally dug their own hole on the NFL thing.

The new Wembley AFAIK does not protect the hallowed turf anyway (the
    stadium puts part of the pitch in shade which hinders its natural growth/repair) .
    And a season of NFL home games over the autumn must plough it up something rotten.

If ENIC have managed to sort this out somehow (different pitches etc) without
    compromising the Spurs football pitch / spectator capacity, then kudos to them.

But wouldn't the LLDC also be trying to get an NFL franchise team to the OS ??
    The Academy of Hoof don't need pristine playing surfaces.

SpursDisciple likes this.
  10. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

From what i read we would have 2 pitches. One artificial and one real. The lower rows of seating would be removed for NFL games as there are a load of big fat dudes standing down the touchlines which would block the lower seats from seeing anything.
    So the capacity would be larger for Spurs than for NFL

11. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

<laugh>

12. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

It's short compared to the PL. 16 week regular season (8 home, 8 away) + 4 exhibitions (I think) plus 0-3 postseason (which could be all home, all away, or some of both). So, between 20-23 weeks, with 10 (most likely) to 13 home games.

Disclaimer: I don't actually know anything, but...

It strikes me as a lot of speculation hovering around an idea which would seem to make sense: Spurs want to defray costs and build a bigger new stadium. The NFL wants to play more games in London.

The question is, will this actually happen? I hope it will, because it could generate income and/or provide a bigger stadium. I guess the removable field works in other places, so it could work in London--though the lack of sun might make it a bit more difficult. Three NFL games per year seems like too little to justify an elaborate setup like that, but I understand the plan is to have a permanent London franchise eventually.

It may be a case of Spurs new grounds vs. Wembley vs. the Olympic Stadium. If so, I can't say I'd be wildly optimistic. The two fields idea gives me some hope, though, as I doubt anyone wants NFL hippos wallowing in their field before a big game.

No Kane No Gain likes this.
  13. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

14. The RDBD

"This does seem to have a ring of truth about it, doesn't it?"

I do wonder whether the accursed delays in building new WHL may be a
    blessing in disguise.

With the land acquired and able to be flattened, then architecturally anything
    is possible until the "last responsible moment" when the foundations work for an
    actual stadium must be started.

If ENIC got new WHL built so that an NFL franchise team could play every other
    weekend on an appropriate pitch, that would be superb on many levels.

I hope though that new WHL has the seating infrastructure designed in at the outset
    that Dortmund has. They apparently can convert from "safe standing" to all-seater
    configurations as/when the event requires. If the English game allows standing again,
    Spurs are sorted.

On a related note, the Liverpool St to Enfield/Cheshunt (via Edmonton) lines are
    now controlled by London Overground. Which means WHL and Seven Sisters are
    now under the remit of TfL. So bashing Boris to get the development work required to
    expand the station platforms, frequency of trains etc for Spurs games is now
    fair game.

15. humanbeingincroydon

16. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

Lots of rumours surfacing around the net that the rumoured NFL deal is done and an official announcement regarding revised stadium plans (possible retractable pitch and 61K) is close, possibly as early as next week.

Large bucket of salt as usual.

17. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

I read a rant claiming Levy’s penny pinching nearly scuppered the deal. Interesting: why does the ranter know anything? If he does, reading between the lines, the deal isn’t scuppered. But it’s certainly one to believe if and when an official announcement is made.

18. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

The same guy that claimed that is now saying that it's a done deal.
    I think he just likes generating hits for his site.

redwhiteandermblue likes this.
  19. The RDBD

20. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

The secret deal that we all knew about is confirmed, then.
    Wonder what else it'll be used for?