1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New Qualifying Format 2016

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by eddie_squidd, Feb 23, 2016.

1. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

While it's a good move for the team to present a united front. The problem is Bernie will just offer votes on quali formats he wants and blame the teams for refusing to change.
    I wonder if this is Bernie being his usual cunning self and showing the EU that he does not have control of F1 as he can't even get his proposals through!!!!
    Maybe it's Bernie causing a huge row that will persuade the teams to rip up the current 'agreement' and destroy the strategy group in return for 2015 quali?
    What ever Bernies reasons for not reverting back to 2015 quali my guess it's about trying to get control back.

2. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If qualifying doesn't happen fp3 sets the grid. I'd like to see the teams boycott qualifying and informally have their own qualifying in fp3.

Yes it punishes the fans but short term pain for long term gain. If the teams could stick together and refuse to qualify until we get 2015 rules then the loss to FOM might force the issue.

Smithers likes this.
  3. ched999uk

What's the betting that Bernie has a clause in the agreement that would fine the teams if they failed to make the grid at the predetermined time or bring the sport into disrepute?
    While Bernie lost control of rule making he holds all the money and wrote the contracts. His back side will be well and truly covered.

4. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

I'm just losing patience and respect for the teams. FOM and FIA are beyond useless and are ruining the sport.

The teams hold all the cards, without them F1 can't happen. But they're all cowards it seems. All talk no action.

Smithers likes this.
  5. ched999uk

Being reported that the Teams have rejected what ever quali was proposed and will only accept a change back to 2015 quali and will allow test quali formats later in the year.
    Boy is Bernie going to be fuming!!!!!! I bet he is trying to come up with a 'safety' reason to change quali, that way FIA can introduce it without it being voted on.
    Also being reported that teams 'may' boycott Q1!!! Can't see that happening, at least 1 team will cave in to Bernies money.

So stupid that Bernie has managed to achieve such negative publicity. Well unless he or his mates want F1 at a knock down price.

He built F1 up and he is knocking it down......

6. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The teams mistake was ever allowing the change. I think their actions in the last few weeks have been correct. Accept no new bullshit and make it clear you'll only allow a return to the old format. Then wait for it to get so embarrassing that Todt and Bernie have no choice but to yield.

The reports from today indicate that it's worked.

7. ched999uk

From BBC 'Jean Todt, president of governing body the FIA, and F1 commercial boss Bernie Ecclestone have now agreed a return to last season's format is "in the interests of the Championship".'
    So looks like we are back to 2015. Well done to the teams. I didn't think Bernie would give in that easily.

8. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Toxic Twins <laugh>

9. ErnieBecclestone

ErnieBecclestone Well-Known Member

Can it really be that difficult to organise F1 into a sport that people will absolutely love, we have the best engineers, drivers, managers, cars, tracks, locations, etc, etc.

Both Ecclestone and Todt are devoid of any common sense and have clearly lost the plot.

Silly things like DRS, short lived tyres, small quiet engines, pit stops, crazy qualy ideas, give the lads big noisy engines, full distance tyres, qualy over one hour, go out when you like, fastest on pole.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  10. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I cant see Todt and Bernie letting this defiance go unpunished

EternalMSC likes this.

11. Sportista

Sportista Well-Known Member

The last time we had all that was 2002 I think - it was hardly a classic...

12. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Massive fines, unjust penalties, favouritism... etc

13. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

The biggest shame is those with the power never saw the flaws and therefore are completely out of touch, have no common sense and are raving stupid.

14. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Nicely put.

15. ErnieBecclestone

ErnieBecclestone Well-Known Member

Gotta go back further than that mate, I went to every British GP from 70 to 96 and they were ALL full on man, cannot tolerate all this fiddling about with what was magic and perfectly good racing, not to mention the noise, ffs.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    El_Bando likes this.
  16. Mr.B

Mr.B Well-Known Member

True. But hopefully some big wigs at CVC will be looking at:
    • this debacle; and
    • the embarrassing climb-down; and
    • the annoyance of all the teams; and
    • the Sky TV contract (at a time when audience numbers are falling); and
    • the letter from the GPDA; and
    • last year's global survey; and
    • the general commentary of dismay at the state of the sport
    ... and decide it's time to get rid of a power broker who's approaching his 90th birthday and whose judgement is increasingly questionable.

If there's any thought of him retiring any time soon, they might consider it's better to keep the teams happy.

Hopefully they'll remind Bernie that he caused the farce in the first place, and tell him to wind his neck in.

17. Big Ern

I think all they will look at is the Sky contract and the $$$$

ched999uk and EternalMSC like this.
  18. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Far to much common sense in that, what's wrong with you Man?

19. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

I wonder how much they'll actually see of the Sky $$$ though. It's £1 billion over 6 years apparently, which a fair chunk of will go to the teams.

It'll wipe about 3 million viewers out (officially) in the UK though, about 80% of the tv audience. Which will in turn cost them sponsorship and make F1 less attractive to potential buyers.

ched999uk likes this.
  20. Big Ern

those 3million viewers don't pay anything, Bernie is squeezing money from the rock, and that is all CVC will care about, that's all business cares about, the bottom line of the accounts sheet. If anyone ever tells you different then they're lying for PR reasons.

ErnieBecclestone and ched999uk like this.